Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 09:52 PM
Kobold

I play a lot of different games. Maybe I prefer different games then you. This is why i don't understand the fanboy/haters on the forums....like what you like for why you like it.

Asmoth (sloth reborn)
17 Human Shadowknight <Inglorious Basterds>

Krysanth Firemedic P99 Red
Rogue
Old 08-02-2013, 09:52 PM
Orc

fuck all this 'make it yourself' bullshit. you gotta be kidding me

no more comments, just that. i dont believe you really think that
Old 08-02-2013, 10:10 PM
Banned

I wonder if people remade the zones from EQ1 if they would put them in...
Old 08-02-2013, 10:13 PM
Kobold

My feelings to a lot of the announcements are mixed. Like everyone else who loves classic EQ it's hard to hear so many developers talk about how it will go back to that type of hardcore gaming style that many people love. Of course not everyone loves it, and that is what makes it great because it doesn't even pretend to impress children looking for instant gratification and instead shows itself to be a magnificent game for a specific niche.

Voxel idea:

I actually like this technology in theory. Some of what they showed simply demonstrates gameplay where people destroy the environment around them with a few swings of that god awful hammer and the entire world crumbles. I feel that the destruction is too fast, or rather too easy, and significant adjustments to the system need to be made. Traveling further down into the world is interesting, but on a whole it feels just gimmicky. I sincerely hope you can't just skip mobs and tunnel to a rare spawn, so that the entire dungeon is surrounded by one hundred different assholes making mole tunnels. Finding rare areas and artifacts throughout history is an excellent idea, but it really needs to have somewhat of a controlling factor around it.

Graphics/Art style:

On a whole I think that the world graphics are excellent, and I really enjoy the lighting, but the Kerran rubs me fucking wrong. I'm not sure if it's his Alliance style armor, or the fact that it's a Worgen in lion disguise, but I just don't like it. I actually really like the human. Her facial proportions are offset because of RP emotes which I think are somewhat silly, but it doesn't bother me in the least that it is in the game. I liked the art design behind the clothes and how the hair and cloth flowed in the wind. It sort of feels cartoony, but not overly cartoony. In some ways I find that this is an issue in allowing a lot of systems to play on the game, but at the same time the graphics of the world are phenomenal and a destructible environment just means that this is a piss-poor reason behind cartoonish graphics. I played WoW for many years so I don't really mind a very light cartoonish feel, but I will wait and see how the other models turn out before I take the torch to SOE's headquarters. But I think that everyone can agree that the Ogre with the absurd shoulder to arm armor is un-fucking-acceptable.

Emergent AI/Rallying Call:

This is a really cool idea all together, but I will believe it when I see it. The rallying call allowing servers to be unique is a great idea, and that the world will change around you depending on how the players interact with the NPC's sounds too good to be true. Depending on how they present this, and if they can do all that they have promised will get my approval on this.

Multi-class/Combat/No Levels:

... Fuck you... I'm not sure where to start. I really like complex combat that was seen in the early times of WoW where skill came from really active combat. It is especially necessary for PvP, and somewhat in PvE if you are developing complex raid encounters. That said, all of the combat was over the top and I pray that it was just to demonstrate the tech and not something that will show how the actual game will play out. It is far too exaggerated with flashes and arcing swings that glow brightly. If you obtained an amazing weapon with particle effects, then yes let it glow while you swing, but not they way it looks to be now.

Multi-class... It is just a bad idea all around. Your character is nothing but a mesh of skills that are tied to your weapon that you can swap out to do whatever whenever, and your character has absolutely no identity besides vanity items. Furthermore you cannot balance PvE encounters around 100's of skills and make them all viable. Diablo 3 had a trillion builds... any-fucking-ways. It needs to be changed not only for purposes of character identity but for content development.

No leveling tells me that this is going to be a drop in anytime FPS style MMO where anyone can just log on and go anywhere with their cashshop gear and "explore". As far as I'm concerned they just made a Lewis and Clark simulator. If there is no way to really progress in power then there is essentially no endgame. "Well that makes it all endgame". Not really. It makes it farmville where nothing matters outside of rallying calls. I hope I am completely wrong about this.

The only benefit to any of these is PvP. Anyone who PvP's legitimately loves pure competition, and nothing screams competition outside of everyone being the same level and gear meaning little to nothing, and skill combinations allowing for unique team play. But not many people see EQ as solely being an open world PvPfest with barely any RPG elements to it. There needs to be a strong sense of PvE in the game and with no real classes and no levels, then the only PvE elements are going anywhere in the world and fighting monsters with a different skin but of the same difficulty. That is boring.

Landmark:

If you love minecraft then this is your new game. I think this feature is amazing and hands down will cause me to lose many hours just building really amazing things. The fact that it is linked to a cashshop is sort of disgusting, but I am beyond happy that it is separate from the actual world. That was something that I feared would be tied together making the immersion just a mesh of amateur hour.

Overall I see some beautiful graphics and a truly impressive editor, but a shallow world with absolutely no RPG feel to it outside of exploration. It is almost too clear that this was made with console aspirations in mind when you see the automatic jump and 8 skill limits. A sad fucking day for EQ.

I'm ready for Winter.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:21 PM
Planar Protector

^i was thinking the same thing.

also on other forums i browse, alot of people that arent eq fans love this fucking game. i keep seeing, this is what guildwars 2 should have been. no idea if thats good or bad, i never played guild wars or guild wars 2 but the non p99 crowd seems to think this is the next big thing. maybe nothing can please the p99ers except re-releasing eq exactly how it was in classic.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:21 PM
Sarnak

You're assuming a lot about things that have had nearly no information released about them except for "This will be in the game."
Old 08-02-2013, 10:32 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhuma7 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Furor and Tigole's experience being in bleeding edge raiding while at the same time were very wise
Did anybody else lol at this?
Old 08-02-2013, 10:48 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by liveitup1216 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Did anybody else lol at this?
Whoever wrote that never played Live or read any of their self-serving ego-fueled fascist rantings, that's for sure
Last edited by t0lkien; 08-02-2013 at 11:00 PM..
Old 08-02-2013, 10:49 PM
Aviak

If this game has instanced loot, like EEO is going to have, then I will never play it. It's why I uninstalled Diablo 3 after a week.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:02 PM
Planar Protector

Video clips looks straight outta wow...