Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 09:24 PM
Orc

Very nice! It's great that we have diversity on the server. I hope to group with you all soon.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:44 PM
Kobold

I started playing EQ when I was 19 after a coworker introduced me. I had to convince my roommate to let me install it on her laptop. She ended up as hooked as I, and for all I know she's still playing EQ in some form today.

I only played for a short period of time in 99'. I returned shortly before SoV and played every-freaking-day until GoD was released.

I know some really freakin' cool people thanks to EQ or things related to it... n' that's what keeps me coming back, I think.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:27 PM
Sarnak

My buddy Mike was a nut for computers in 1999, a CS major at Purdue University. I was an English/Philosophy major who had never owned a PC better than an IBM-PC that could barely run "Where In The World is Carmen Sandiego?".

After a night of drinking I stopped by his apartment to visit. His girlfriend had gone to bed (it was 2am) and he was up, as usual, fidgeting with his PC. Except this time he was playing EverQuest. I watched him for awhile, staring stupidly at his dark elf necromancer as he murdered snakes and bugs and such for no reason I could determine. When he logged out and decided I was probably too drunk to walk home, asked me if I'd like to play this game a bit. I agreed; he went to bed.

I understood none of it. I put points into dexterity because the number was green. I spent what felt like an hour, trying to pick a name (it was probably only 15 minutes), and settled on my favorite character in Gilgamesh's Epic - Humwawa. After loading in, I died at least 7 times.

Frustrated, I snuck out to the porch and smoked a jay. And suddenly the game made sense. The colors seemed to be some kind of mysterious, occult code of operation. I slew snakes with reckless abandon to the seductive caress of 16 bit green orbs of malign magic.

I was playing when the sun came up, and playing still that night when he got home after leaving to visit his girlfriend's parents.

I bought a PC soon after, and he gave me the account. And so I descended into Gamer Nerdery.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:52 AM
Kobold

I turned 10 the day EQ came out. About a week later my uncle sent the CD to my mom because he didn't like the game. It was all downhill from there.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valroth66 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It was all downhill from there.
qft
Old 03-21-2011, 12:10 PM
Kobold

Me and the wife started playing when it came out at age 35. That means all of you damned kids can get the hell off my zone's lawn ;-)
Old 03-21-2011, 12:11 PM
Banned

Creepy old man!
Old 03-21-2011, 12:41 PM
Fire Giant

Started when I was 16, back just shortly after the release of Kunark. EQ was my first MMO.

As far as what drew me in? I don't really know. I clearly remember being immediately hooked on EQ just by watching my friend run around third gate on his level 1 dark elf. He wasn't even DOING anything, and I already was addicted to the game.

The most fun I ever had in EQ was definitely being an enchanter in full groups though. Wow, that was fun.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:44 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humwawa
My buddy Mike was a nut for computers in 1999, a CS major at Purdue University. I was an English/Philosophy major who had never owned a PC better than an IBM-PC that could barely run "Where In The World is Carmen Sandiego?".

After a night of drinking I stopped by his apartment to visit. His girlfriend had gone to bed (it was 2am) and he was up, as usual, fidgeting with his PC. Except this time he was playing EverQuest. I watched him for awhile, staring stupidly at his dark elf necromancer as he murdered snakes and bugs and such for no reason I could determine. When he logged out and decided I was probably too drunk to walk home, asked me if I'd like to play this game a bit. I agreed; he went to bed.

I understood none of it. I put points into dexterity because the number was green. I spent what felt like an hour, trying to pick a name (it was probably only 15 minutes), and settled on my favorite character in Gilgamesh's Epic - Humwawa. After loading in, I died at least 7 times.

Frustrated, I snuck out to the porch and smoked a jay. And suddenly the game made sense. The colors seemed to be some kind of mysterious, occult code of operation. I slew snakes with reckless abandon to the seductive caress of 16 bit green orbs of malign magic.

I was playing when the sun came up, and playing still that night when he got home after leaving to visit his girlfriend's parents.

I bought a PC soon after, and he gave me the account. And so I descended into Gamer Nerdery.
Inspiring hahaha. Awesome!
Old 03-21-2011, 01:28 PM
Sarnak

I was 43 (in 2000) at the time. I was NOT into gaming of ANY sort. Two of my co-workers started to rave about this game. Telling me I HAD to try it and how insanely huge the world was and how you could even fish in this game and on and on omg shut UP already...

So I finally buy this thing and it sits on my shelf for a couple of months until one Saturday I am bored and decide to see what the game is about. I load it up and make a HIE wizzy and put all my points into CHA. I head out into Gfay and I think to myself "WOW what crappy graphics this has...". So I play for a bit and ding level 4. I decide to head on down the path and see where it leads. I crest a hill and see Kelethin in the trees and players everywhere with particle effects going off like mad and it is at this moment that it dawns on me that this is indeed a virtual world. After I have that epiphany, that is all she wrote - I am hooked.