Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 07:22 PM
Retired GM

Location: Cabilis East, in the northwest corner of the zone-in from Field of Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannacore [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There was "no bootable drive detected" this morning, couldn't access anything. I'm not super positive what that means, but Sean says it's probably a hard drive problem.

It's going downhill quickly bros, I want the bluescreens back :c
This means you have a hard drive failure.

Pull it out, take it to your nearest staples or best buy and ask them to plug it in to their tester. It will let you know if its completely toast, or if you could do a wipe and get it working again.

Personally I've never seen that error pop up and have it not be a fried drive, so good luck.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:03 AM
Planar Protector

Before ripping the drive out, try replacing the saya cable and changing the sata port your drive is connected to.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:31 PM
Planar Protector

Cool

i had a similar issue, seems like it will be as simple as replacing your HDD but you may want to do some other things before you lose all your data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingme [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Before ripping the drive out, try replacing the sata cable and changing the sata port your drive is connected to.
i would try what fishingme said (unplug the HDD cable from the motherboard slot it is connected to and hook it into another similar slot) and also flip that CMOS toggle deal to reset the motherboard.
windows 8 u can boot from recovery CD, so i would check that out and see what it says your options are.

rarely harddrives just "die" and some can last for ridiculously long periods of time. ive noticed that windows 8 does ALOT of read/write to the drive, and i even had a HDD die on me once. my concern is that generally HDDs make some sort of death noise when they are walking towards the pearly gates.
in the past few weeks have you noticed any creaking, squeaking, or slicking noises coming from your PC? if so there is a good chance that your HDD has bitten the dust, but if not then it could possibly be some sort of HDD or bootsector corruption.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:11 AM
Planar Protector

I've tried everything recommended in this thread, aside from taking it somewhere to have it looked at. It seemingly only does this when I'm playing League, which is weird.

guess I'm going to have to pay someone to fix it ~:c
Old 09-03-2014, 10:46 AM
Banned

When you turn your computer on do you feel your hardrive spinning, an unhealthy one will click or spin to fast but a dead one does nothing. You can open your case put your hand on it and feel it, if it does nothing it's fried.

I wouldn't pay to get it fixed they gonna charge you for all kinds of BS, this vid will show you how to replace a hardrive, they cheap and easy to swap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpLjV9uAZ1s
Old 09-03-2014, 01:44 PM
Sarnak

Cheaper/easier fix....stop play LoL
Old 09-03-2014, 02:52 PM
Planar Protector

Just get all your info you can off it when its working and just buy a new HD. They arent that expensive anymore for a decent SSD. and i've had the disk boot failure happen on a machine and it was the ribbon cable for the ide connection that went bed.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:50 PM
Planar Protector

We reimaged the computer and it didn't fix it. It bluescreened while I was at work/class today, so it actually had time to log the details. Does this jumble of text mean anything to anyone: http://pastebin.com/uL6cbDfi

It also gave me this: [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

harumph :c
Old 09-15-2014, 09:05 PM
Fire Giant

Hard disk failure.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:11 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackFlash [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hard disk failure.
That's what I suspected all along, but now have confirmation! Time to upgrade to a solid state.