Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 01:56 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidous [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ya how much "Red-PvP" has been going on there lately?

It's not Red if you have an impenetrable bunker you can hide in a the first sign of danger.
How is that different from people hiding behind guards in EQ?
Old 08-20-2014, 02:12 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zadrian [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
How is that different from people hiding behind guards in EQ?
You can still kill the player or the guard? So.... vastly different.
Old 08-20-2014, 03:26 PM
Decaying Skeleton

elitist nerds.

quit being bitchy and come play.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pease [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
elitist nerds.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-21-2014, 07:40 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenzar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Why all this protection type mods? I thought this was supposed to be Redcraft not Carecraft. Can we do away with this?
I cannot agree with you more on this. I originally started the server 100% vanilla in the hopes of making a completely lawless, wasteland of PvP, raiding and Vanilla MineCraft. I'm a very naive gamer, particularly when it comes to MineCraft which I've only been playing for about two months now. Unfortunately, and unbeknownst to me at the time that I opened the server, there are MineCraft hacks. Specifically X-Ray cheats for players to find ore (iron, diamond, etc) and bases. And even with Bukkit anti-xray in affect, Good Guy Gusy my seasoned veteran MineCraft pal told me it's more than easy for anyone to download the map off the server and use the hacks at their own will.
I was disheartened to hear this, of course. So in keeping with the vanilla spirit of things, I added minimal base protection to the server. This is where the sponges come into play. I strive for fairness, and think it only reasonable that players have some way to defend their hours of gameplay to those who would cheat. I'm all for losing it all fair and square, but to have someone's base raided by a hacker just wouldn't be cool. So no, I am sorry but there will be no doing away with the base protect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidous [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ya how much "Red-PvP" has been going on there lately?

It's not Red if you have an impenetrable bunker you can hide in a the first sign of danger.
Well you'd know if you hadn't stopped playing since the 2nd day [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] There's actually been lots of PvP action. Keep in mind you can still kill people inside their protected base. Pease got himself a nice enchanting chest this way. Also we had a fun PvP war with some British gents the other night. So the answer to your question is 'lots!'

Reminder: besides base protect, anti-xray mod, and the /spawn command (usable once every hour to teleport you to server spawn point. People were getting stuck in other players bases they were raiding), the server is still 100% vanilla. So I'd still consider it very RedCraft, not CareCraft. If you see things differently I'd love to play on your 100% vanilla RedCraft server!

So, in closing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pease [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
elitist nerds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KagatobLuvsAnimu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-21-2014, 09:11 PM
Banned

The crap that gets done in creative mode.
I'm surprised nobody's invaded yet. Territory is huge and in plain sight. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-22-2014, 06:15 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrubwise [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I cannot agree with you more on this. I originally started the server 100% vanilla in the hopes of making a completely lawless, wasteland of PvP, raiding and Vanilla MineCraft. I'm a very naive gamer, particularly when it comes to MineCraft which I've only been playing for about two months now. Unfortunately, and unbeknownst to me at the time that I opened the server, there are MineCraft hacks. Specifically X-Ray cheats for players to find ore (iron, diamond, etc) and bases. And even with Bukkit anti-xray in affect, Good Guy Gusy my seasoned veteran MineCraft pal told me it's more than easy for anyone to download the map off the server and use the hacks at their own will.
I was disheartened to hear this, of course. So in keeping with the vanilla spirit of things, I added minimal base protection to the server. This is where the sponges come into play. I strive for fairness, and think it only reasonable that players have some way to defend their hours of gameplay to those who would cheat. I'm all for losing it all fair and square, but to have someone's base raided by a hacker just wouldn't be cool. So no, I am sorry but there will be no doing away with the base protect.

Well you'd know if you hadn't stopped playing since the 2nd day [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] There's actually been lots of PvP action. Keep in mind you can still kill people inside their protected base. Pease got himself a nice enchanting chest this way. Also we had a fun PvP war with some British gents the other night. So the answer to your question is 'lots!'

Reminder: besides base protect, anti-xray mod, and the /spawn command (usable once every hour to teleport you to server spawn point. People were getting stuck in other players bases they were raiding), the server is still 100% vanilla. So I'd still consider it very RedCraft, not CareCraft. If you see things differently I'd love to play on your 100% vanilla RedCraft server!

So, in closing:

Who said 100% vanilla.... your mod solution is just fail is all.. there is better mod solutions for this out there.

Someone died in a base... they are inherently stupid then... all you need to do is place some blocks. GG
Old 08-22-2014, 07:55 PM
Large Rat

Please don't take offense at the lack of a durability plugin, Lucidious. Please let me explain my rationale. I completely understand if you disagree with the following, but you should understand where I am coming from.

First, 100% Vanilla Minecraft servers work great when no one cheats, no one wants to grief, and everyone simply wants to PvP (red). Vanilla Minecraft isn’t balanced well for competitive multiplay. I’ve played enough Sullon Zek, Eve, Darkfall, Mortal, MUD1, red Ultima Online, etc. to at least have a valid opinion about this. I’ve also played on Savage Realms, Gontroller and Daegonner, some of the most successful Minecraft Faction PvP servers, so I do understand exactly what you are saying, and for the most part, I agree. However, Minecraft is not Red99 or Zek. It is not Eve. Those are deep, well designed MMOs who’s rulesets evolved over the years. Minecraft is a baby.

Second, I put in the current plugin because it was easy for players to understand, and easy for me to quickly implement and test. Phanatic has used it on his extremely successful skyblock and skygrid servers, and it works well for what it is, a quick anti-griefing solution. I do understand that it is on the blue side.

Third, you aren’t debating with a professional game-dev studio, and you aren’t paying one either. Block durability plugins are resource intensive, and complex to implement and balance. Again, this isn’t Gontroller and there isn’t a full time staff. Nor is this a $100+ a month server rental. It is a project box that Orbi is paying for because he is a nice guy. It has limited memory and is running on a shared VM. As I said, I am very open to implementing a better system, but I don’t work for you.

Fourth, your suggested plugin, Citidal, shows the last release date as being December 2013. I’m not going to put in a plugin that I’ve never tested when there are currently maintained plugins that I have experience with. I’m a little bit confused why you didn’t check this yourself.

Finally, send me the IP of your thriving Minecraft server and I’ll log in and take some lessons. I’m not a pro. I completely understand that this isn’t significantly better than vanilla, but I also have my own server to run, and am still trying to actively communicate with the people on this server who aren’t too busy making lava towers to talk to me.

Dickgirls please!
Last edited by Gusy; 08-22-2014 at 07:58 PM..
Old 08-22-2014, 08:00 PM
Banned

I don't know much about minecraft server operation, but will the server eventually go to 1.8 or is it forever at 1.7 barring some kind of wipe? Just curious.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:01 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by KagatobLuvsAnimu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't know much about minecraft server operation, but will the server eventually go to 1.8 or is it forever at 1.7 barring some kind of wipe? Just curious.
Stay tuned. Big things comin'.
Closed Thread