Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 08:12 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Default Monks, Dual Trance Sticks even worth it at 35?

I'm using an IFS and about to hit 35 soon here. Stopping by the bank and wondering what I should bring with me for 1h to switch to periodically for skill ups and whatever. I'm not super twinked, maybe 14k invested.

So I have 2 Trance Sticks and a KD in the bank. No tinker bag so I only want 2 1handers on me. I also have a JM but I lent it out so I'd have to get that back to use it with the KD. Would dual Trance Sticks (at 35) be worth while for any purpose, like say situations where I am tanking? Is the DPS going to compare at all to JM/KD combo with only 102 dex? Or would anyone recommend Trance Stick + KD?

I know Procs are inconsistent/unreliable, but for some reason off shifting a % of my DPS and aggro to the RNG god via procs seems like it might make things a little more exciting. Lol. Thoughts?
Old 11-15-2015, 08:26 PM
Planar Protector

I would bet Jade made and KD will beat out the trance sticks.

For primary dps, at that level range it's really hard to beat the IFS. PB will be a bit more normalized and less streaky, but PB doesn't catch up to and pass IFS until around level 43-44? Even after PB pulls ahead of IFS, there's something to be said for still rolling with the IFS. It's 6 pounds lighter for one ... and if you're soloing or tanking you'll not only eat fewer mob ripostes, your own ripostes will hit for that much harder. Both of them are great weapons and will parse within 3-5% of each other from levels 30-60 with IFS having the advantage until about 43-44 and PB slowly pulling beyond that level to the tune of about 2-4% more dps at 60.

Prior to the 43-44 range, the only real dps upgrade out there from IFS is a Tstaff. Even Ada club + SoS or dual SoS's should parse a hair behind the IFS. I'm not sure what level dual wield becomes really competitive again assuming Ada/SoS ... maybe another monk can shed some light.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 11-15-2015, 08:50 PM
Aviak

Play with whatever weapons you find fun. Try them all.
Old 11-15-2015, 08:56 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Yeah I mean for obvious reasons I'm going to be using the IFS 90% of the time so my question is sorta trivial, but I'm still curious just for those times when I switch it up or want to tank.

Wondering if anyone has tried dual trance sticks when they actually proc? Seems like I only ever see them on lowbies as a ghetto JM. Honestly I haven't really spent much time with proccing weapons on P99 so maybe I'll pack them just to play with that.
Old 11-16-2015, 10:57 AM
Planar Protector

Hmmm can't say much on aggro for procs from the trance sticks because my only alternative at the time the to used them was a WQS or bare fists to which they were infinitely superior, though that could just as well have been due to low dly.

As far as deeps goes though, JM + KD will out perform the trance sticks unless you are getting more than 2 procs per minute between the two of them. JM + KD will also eclipse IFS at L43 and is close to on par w/ PB which is slightly ahead until 45 when they are the same. At L46 the combo will outperform the PB. JM + AC is better than both IFS and PB from L34. AC + SOS is better than IFS from L28 and better than PB from L27.
Old 11-17-2015, 12:09 PM
Fire Giant

A while back, I was trio-ing my bard with a necro and monk. The monk was using 2 trance sticks and they were procing a ton. I'm not sure what his dex was though, he had pretty decent gear.
Old 11-17-2015, 02:32 PM
Kobold

Trance sticks are great for keeping 1HB up while leveling because they're so light (and cheap). Even if you generally 2HB, you can keep them on you without significantly impacting your weight. I've also used them to tank in COM when we had no real tank.

Generally I use 2HB otherwise. If I could get cheap staves of shielding like on blue, I might do things differently.
Old 11-17-2015, 06:45 PM
Banned

Another weekly monk DPS question and the typical several responses with patently incorrect information.

See this thread as an example where only Colgate is correct.

OP: Math says SoS x2 across the board until you get your epic. Keep IFS forever for mobs with DS. When you factor in T-Staff proc and better DPS, it can be argued that the extra DS damage you take is offset making it "better".
Old 11-17-2015, 07:31 PM
Fire Giant

Haste doesnt change relative dps of weapons
Old 11-18-2015, 10:17 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayso [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Another weekly monk DPS question and the typical several responses with patently incorrect information.

See this thread as an example where only Colgate is correct.

OP: Math says SoS x2 across the board until you get your epic. Keep IFS forever for mobs with DS. When you factor in T-Staff proc and better DPS, it can be argued that the extra DS damage you take is offset making it "better".
Math does not say a SoS is best primary hand. Jade mace is better after 58 and Ada club is better after like 40.
Closed Thread