Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2019, 09:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't like the git gud mentality. It has no place in a healthy community. I apologize if I came off that way.
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekova [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Right now we have people botting, and it's problematic preventing that. Which I think we can all agree is something that is a much bigger issue then a log parser.
Sure, but the thread is about Gina so people are discussing that topic. One of the Green Texts made a thread recently concerning botting on green.

With botting you don't know who is really a player or if its just one guy. With programs you don't know if the player was really that good or if the program was. You can't really Git Gud concerning the program unless you chose to use it as well. That is why I referenced the steroid debate.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:11 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgmo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This isn't about text parsing, it's about modifying the rendered game client. I think you know that, so I don't understand why you keep going back to text parsing. Noone is trying to ban text parsing, that is silly.

Go write your own text parser, noone will mind.
So you're cool if I have GINA read the eq log file from a mapped network drive and display the overlay output on another machine?
Old 10-16-2019, 09:13 PM
Large Bat

Quote:
This isn't about text parsing, it's about modifying the rendered game client. I think you know that, so I don't understand why you keep going back to text parsing. Noone is trying to ban text parsing, that is silly.
That is not how GINA works. It does not, in any manner, affect the rendered game client. It displays content on your Windows desktop just like any other application. You can position those on atop of your game client to occlude a portion of it, but that does not affect the game client itself.

The only way to ban GINA would be to disable logging. That's why everyone is going back to parsing, because that's the avenue from which GINA and similar applications operate.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:14 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodude [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
An overlay and an injection are two wildly different things.
Actually no they aren't, there is only one render buffer, all software writes to it. GINA is replacing/modifying (depending on if/when transparency is involved) what the EQ client draws in the render buffer.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:15 PM
Large Bat

Quote:
GINA is replacing/modifying (depending on if/when transparency is involved) what the EQ client draws in the render buffer.
It quite literally does no such thing.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:17 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daud [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So you're cool if I have GINA read the eq log file from a mapped network drive and display the overlay output on another machine?
Yes. Create a Rube Goldberg machine for all I care. Just keep shit away from the game client, that is the only thing with a clear and distinctly identifiable and enforceable boundary. The bulk of the benefit is having it drawn in the game client anyway.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:20 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by meritt [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It quite literally does no such thing.
If it didn't write to the render buffer, nothing would be drawn. Pretty sure noone is hallucinating when they see the overlay.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Framebuffer
Old 10-16-2019, 09:20 PM
Fire Giant

That video of the monk soloing King literally made me laugh for 3 minutes. That's some classic everquest shit right there baby! HAHA. Never used Gina, never cared to, but those overlays are god tier hilarious with the combination of how shit they look versus how extremely useful they are.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:25 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgmo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Actually no they aren't, there is only one render buffer, all software writes to it. GINA is replacing/modifying (depending on if/when transparency is involved) what the EQ client draws in the render buffer.
By that standard, putting any window over the EQ client window would also be banned.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:27 PM
Large Bat

Quote:
If it didn't write to the render buffer, nothing would be drawn. Pretty sure noone is hallucinating when they see the overlay.
Your lack of technical understanding here is difficult to work with. If I decide to drag my Spotify window over the top of my Everquest game, do you think that magically hooks into the game client? Or is it perhaps just how a windowing OS happens to function?

It's just a windowed application man. That's why, for instance, if you exit of out of EQ while GINA is still running, I end up with a bunch of GINA overlays on my desktop. It's 100% independent of the Everquest process and does not do any sort of hooking, interception, nor injection.

Want some evidence that's been around far longer than this argument?

* http://www.jaburt.com/eq/audiotriggers.htm -- Why isn't GINA working properly when I'm playing in full screen mode?
* https://gambosoft.eqresource.com/gam...ingstarted.php -- Using the onscreen displays REQUIRES that you play EverQuest in windowed mode. This is due to how the overlays are built.

You really should spend a bit of time attempting to learn this instead of linking me to random shit you've googled about rendering pipelines and frame buffers.
Last edited by meritt; 10-16-2019 at 09:30 PM..
Closed Thread