Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-18-2019, 05:25 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenlaar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Again, would you say that somebody who is using cheat codes built into a single player game was playing that game without cheating? Would you say that using unlimited ammo or unlimited health codes aren't cheating? Of course you wouldn't, yet they were built into the game by the developers. To give people the option. The option to cheat.
Did I violate the explicit ruleset I agreed to abide by?

If yes; cheating.
If not; not cheating.
Old 10-18-2019, 05:34 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daud [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Did I violate the explicit ruleset I agreed to abide by?

If yes; cheating.
If not; not cheating.
We can start at basic levels if you need to, but you're not starting at the right place.

If somebody is using infinite health and ammo cheat codes built into a single player game, are they cheating? Yes/No.
Old 10-18-2019, 05:38 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenlaar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
We can start at basic levels if you need to, but you're not starting at the right place.

If somebody is using infinite health and ammo cheat codes built into a single player game, are they cheating? Yes/No.
No.
Old 10-18-2019, 05:40 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexenu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Imagine there was a racing league that for some reason decided to ban rear-view mirrors. So none of the cars have rear-view mirrors anymore. Then some enterprising fellow rigs up a mirror on a small flying drone and syncs it up to float perfectly in the car where the rear-view mirror would normally be, giving the driver the full function of a rear-view mirror.

Would that be cheating?

Because that is basically GINA in a nutshell. It's adding capabilities that were deliberately removed from the client for being unclassic. But people say this is ok because they aren't actually PART of the game or the UI. They just float on top of it. Sort of like a rear-view mirror that isn't attached to the car, but just floats inside of it where the mirror would normally be.

I think it's rather obviously that this grossly violates the spirit of the law, even if is technically within the letter of the law ("does not modify the client"). This is why I think the correct argument against GINA does not hinge on whether or not it technically violates the prohibition against client modification, but simply that it is UNCLASSIC AS HELL and does not belong on the Green server. Because nobody back in the day was using real-time log readers to place floating GUI elements overlaid onto their EQ screen. NOBODY. It did not exist. It's unclassic as all get-out and the people advocating it know that. Keep it on Blue. It doesn't belong on Green.
I don't care about people wanting to get rid of it, but argument is painfully disingenuous. This isn't in any way unclear, GINA was never a secret, this is far, FAR from the first time people have stated this opinion on these boards. It's simply something you don't like that you want to get changed. Get out of here with the "spirit of the rule" garbage, it doesn't mean anything when the devs have known about it for years and outright stated GTG. At any time they could have walked right over and said "GINA is banned, have a nice day".
Last edited by Daud; 10-18-2019 at 05:43 PM..
Old 10-18-2019, 05:41 PM
Aviak

Quote:

Can't answer without more information.

Are they against the rules I agreed to play by?
Old 10-18-2019, 05:47 PM
Planar Protector

Why should grossly unclassic workaround programs that restore functionality that was intentionally removed from the client be allowed on Green?

How exactly is GINA part of the classic experience?

Is Daud even capable of playing EverQuest without this pathetic crutch?

Questions that demand answers!
Old 10-18-2019, 05:47 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daud [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Can't answer without more information.

Are they against the rules I agreed to play by?
What do you mean by "rules they agreed to play by?" I have a feeling that you're avoiding answering a very basic question because you don't want to follow it to it's logical conclusion. Let's say it's a PS4 shooter with a cheat code built in where if you put your name in as BULLETSTORM you have infinite ammo. Is that person playing the game "legit" or are they, by using a cheat code in order to activate an advantage that is not part of the base game, cheating?
Old 10-18-2019, 05:49 PM
Fire Giant

I believe his argument is that if he is not violating the agreed upon rules then it is not cheating.
Songs are being sung from every bard,
His passion is back and the fire burns,
With fear and renown, Norrath whispers: Uthgaard
Old 10-18-2019, 05:52 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylok [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I believe his argument is that if he is not violating the agreed upon rules then it is not cheating.
His argument is that starting up the SEGA Shadowrun game and hitting ABBACAB before the SEGA logo comes up so that you have access to the hidden menu where you can give yourself karma and money and the best cyberdeck isn't cheating because the developers made the game so that you can do it, and it's an absurd argument.

Having permission to cheat doesn't make it not cheating.
Old 10-18-2019, 05:54 PM
Fire Giant

It does beg the question - why did they put in the work to have that menu at all if it was never intended to be used?
Songs are being sung from every bard,
His passion is back and the fire burns,
With fear and renown, Norrath whispers: Uthgaard
Closed Thread