Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 10:50 PM
Fire Giant

Default The Age Old Questions Of Monk Macros

What would be the macro setups if I wanted to just practice sneak and just practice feign death?

I've seen past threads where people posted about doing them in combat but I'm just looking for them to practice when I'm hanging out in the tunnel or not in combat.

Also, what is the correct macro setup for feign death when I am in combat? I've seen it a few different ways which always turns into debates.
Old 09-23-2016, 11:24 PM
Fire Giant

For sneak, assuming it is in your #1 ability slot...
You would want something like...
/pause 10, /doability 1
doability 1
That will sneak, wait a second and sneak again (to turn it off)
You'd have to look up (or test it out) how long the refresh is to make multiple sneaks. Feign death would be similar.

You can put /stand or /attack off for extra fool-proofing.
Old 09-24-2016, 12:55 AM
Fire Giant

This isn't working right...

I set it up as

/pause 10, /doability 1
doability 1
/pause 10, /doability 1
doability 1

But it will only sneak and then turn sneak off and just stop. I'm looking to have it do it twice...

sneak on, sneak off, pause, sneak on, sneak off, repeat
Old 09-24-2016, 01:38 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This isn't working right...

I set it up as

/pause 10, /doability 1
doability 1
/pause 10, /doability 1
doability 1

But it will only sneak and then turn sneak off and just stop. I'm looking to have it do it twice...

sneak on, sneak off, pause, sneak on, sneak off, repeat
You have the right idea. You just have to figure out the cooldown on sneak. Let's say it is a minute. It's probably not, but it would be....

/pause 10, /doability 1 Sneak and pause 1 second
/pause 600, /doability 1 Turns off sneak and waits a minute
/pause 10, /doability 1 Sneak and pause 1 second
/pause 600, /doability 1 Turns off sneak and waits a minute
/doability 1 Turns on sneak

You'd have to manually turn sneak off that last time, or end it 1 line earlier and take out the last pause.

Edit: even though the pause comes first, it does the action first and then pauses.
Last edited by RDawg816; 09-24-2016 at 01:49 AM..
Old 09-24-2016, 02:11 AM
Kobold

In a macro, the number on a pause is in deci-seconds, so pause 10 is only one second. That's why you need a large pause like RDawg suggests.

Sneak and FD are pretty easy to max just through normal use (especially if you just use them whenever you notice they're off cooldown). I never had to spend a bunch of time in tunnel spamming skills to max them.

I personally don't use a macro for FD in combat -- I just turn attack off and then FD. The only real benefit to this is that a macro won't show whether FD is up or not whereas an FD button will, but since I have 3 full hotbars, I would rather not waste an extra hotbar slot to see whether or not FD is up. I have probably died about twice due to having attack on when FDing accidentally, but that's fairly rare all things considered.

If you do use a macro for FD in combat, you probably want something like:

/attack off
/pause xx
/doability y

And you can experiment with the number of deciseconds to pause. It probably can be pretty small.

I wrote a Monk guide: Meviin's Monk Mechanics
I wrote a guide on purple links in incoming messages:
Meviin's Macros: Purple Links When Pulling

Meviin - 60 Monk (Iksar) <Kittens Who Say Meow>
Laylot - 21 Necromancer (Iksar) <Kittens Who Say Meow>
Kozev - 12 Enchanter (High Elf) <Kittens Who Say Meow>
Old 09-24-2016, 07:43 AM
Fire Giant

The cooldown for sneak is 10 seconds from what I counted but I get a weird message...

You begin to sneak...
You begin to sneak...
You stop sneaking.
You begin to sneak...
Old 09-24-2016, 08:45 AM
Sarnak

I bound sneak to a movement key and just used

/doability 2 ( Feign )
/stand
/attack on ( if fighting a mob )
Old 09-24-2016, 05:47 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The cooldown for sneak is 10 seconds from what I counted but I get a weird message...

You begin to sneak...
You begin to sneak...
You stop sneaking.
You begin to sneak...
You might have a higher ping. Try this....
/pause 20, /doability 1
/pause 80, /doability 1
/pause 20, /doability 1
/doability 1
Old 09-28-2016, 10:13 AM
Sarnak

I know that some of these manipulations into the ergonomics of playing a monk seem more efficient and have a way of reducing downtime and less button-pressing, I'm just not sure how much more efficiency these macros provide when you're stuck in a situation that requires a more manual-way of playing (not relying on macros because of the cooldown you experience when you incorporate '/pause 'x' amount of seconds.') I don't know if you ever noticed, but macros tend to be very diligent in responding to what you type into them; some of them, yes, reconstruct the idea of efficiency. But when you're stuck in a situation where you're having to pull at a timed pace, I find these efficient practices to be a huge cockblock when you're trying to snag mobs that are super-sowed (ToV mobs) or interesting splits that has you manipulating FD and sneak back-to-back in mere seconds. Timing and situational awareness is what makes the monk so stereotypically lethal and you can have the awareness, but when you're bogged down with macros, it takes away from your timing a lot making you miss easy pull-targets that you normally would be able to tag if you were playing a more manual, robot-like style of play. The best practice into making sure that you aren't having to wait on a macro hotkey to regurgitate itself, is to no train/level with them. Go out into Qeynos Hills, FoB, EC and just practice by hitting sneak independently. And when you get FD, practice hitting that independently while turning /auto off. Then conjoin the two of them and see how they work together in a group full of mobs including casters. Not relying on macros is the tl;dr and this applies to all of the classes.
Old 09-28-2016, 10:48 AM
Sarnak

It can be a little annoying, but I just put sneak on my strafe keys same as I would for sense heading to level it up. It won't work much early on, and by the time it starts working a lot you'll have gotten very accustomed to the "double tap" when you strafe or turn to avoid staying in sneak mode. Of course take it back off your strafe keys once it's skilled up.

Also, I always bind FD to E and a /stand macro to R, and during the initial skilling up period I get used to just rolling my finger on ER and flopping all the time.

Life's hard when you're stupid.
Last edited by Kutsumo; 09-28-2016 at 10:50 AM..
Closed Thread