Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 04:59 AM
Skeleton

Default Is the Ebon Razor a good starter weapon?

Just as the title says, I'm thinking of starting a new toon, possibly a warrior, or a ranger(never tried a ranger before). And I was wondering if the Ebon razor would be a good starter weapon. I would prefer to go with a green jade broad sword, but that's out of my price range /: as I already own a razor.. and have 10pp to my name lol
Old 11-17-2014, 05:42 AM
Planar Protector

A new character can get up and running with a shortsword* I'm sure you'll be able to make do with just an Ebon Razor to begin with, even if you suck at eq (hypothetically speaking, not suggesting you do)!

If you are lucky a poster will take pity on you and donate a better weapon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.].
Old 11-17-2014, 09:12 AM
Planar Protector

Silver Swiftblade is a damn good weapon for a Ranger for say 100 plat if you get lucky. But there is a LOT of Warrior weapons in that range that are good for the same money. Pretty hard to find a weapon for 10 plat that is good sad to say. But 4 years ago same items would have cost 1k. So there is hope lol. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-17-2014, 09:56 AM
Planar Protector

Ebon Razor is definitely good to start with. If you're going with a warrior, you will eventually want weapons that proc, so that you can hold agro better. Obsidian Shards are inexpensive and proc at level 15.
Old 11-17-2014, 02:38 PM
Fire Giant

You can probably pick up a decent set of weapons for free. You don't say what your existing character is, but if you can get to Chardok there are some "junk" weapons (like the aforementioned silver swiftblade) that you could easily get for free. Obsidian shards are essentially worthless, I'm sure if you bummed around for a while you'd get a free one. Goblin Skull Crusher procs at level 15, and while they're somewhat rare they aren't really valuable and will hold aggro.

Myuharin <Force of Will> & Myuharin the Revenant
Quote:
Originally Posted by azeth View Post
6 hybrids in one group.. i believe you may actually LOSE experience per kill.
Old 11-17-2014, 04:09 PM
Fire Giant

Assuming a warrior...

1h slash Green Jade Broadsword - http://wiki.project1999.com/Green_Jade_Broadsword
1h pierce Jarsath Trident - http://wiki.project1999.com/Jarsath_Trident
2h blunt Sarnak Battlehammer - http://wiki.project1999.com/Sarnak_Battlehammer

Are three incredibly cheap, really effective weapons that you can pick up and then forget about upgrading for a very long time, allowing you to focus on your armor & jewelry slots. It's really hard to beat the above 3 for cost / effectiveness ratio.

Edit - if you already have the ebon razor, then stick with it and get the other two I listed over time. The green Jade broadsword just has that killer lump of sta / str that is not insubstantial to your dual wield dps + hp bump.
Old 11-17-2014, 04:49 PM
Skeleton

Thanks for all the helpful advice I put my ranger on hold, although I got my hard to Gray with the weapons( a very nice person had given me a Smoldering Brand when I was asking for a port in the ec tunnel so I currently have my hard in gfay to transfer some stuff to him. But unfortunantly I'm not in a guild so I have no trust worthy people to help me tramstransfer )':. In the mean time I made a iksar necro. Having fun with it, currently level 3 but get beat to death rather quickly even with a pet /:. Just sooo squishy )':
Old 11-18-2014, 03:10 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffymcfly [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thanks for all the helpful advice I put my ranger on hold, although I got my hard to Gray with the weapons( a very nice person had given me a Smoldering Brand when I was asking for a port in the ec tunnel so I currently have my hard in gfay to transfer some stuff to him. But unfortunantly I'm not in a guild so I have no trust worthy people to help me tramstransfer )':. In the mean time I made a iksar necro. Having fun with it, currently level 3 but get beat to death rather quickly even with a pet /:. Just sooo squishy )':
Necro's get a LOT better the higher they get. The level 8 pet is pretty good. Just fear stuff when you get Darkness spells and then you don't get hit. Well not often lol. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Really don't even need a weapon higher up. Should be Medding.
Old 11-18-2014, 03:55 PM
Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by webrunner5 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Necro's get a LOT better the higher they get. The level 8 pet is pretty good. Just fear stuff when you get Darkness spells and then you don't get hit. Well not often lol. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Really don't even need a weapon higher up. Should be Medding.
When do I get meditate?? Every time I go to train it, I get told I already have it at the max level and it's at 0 /:. I noticed that lol, my lvl 1 pet is doingdoinghere between 10-18 dmg with the rusty shan'told and stuff the skeletons drop
Old 11-18-2014, 07:17 PM
Fire Giant

You can train Meditate from a necromancer trainer NPC (one of the dudes you were staring at when you first faded in with the character) at level 4. Just put 1 point into it - it will increase to maximum very quickly all on its own.

The hardest part of being a Necromancer (or Mage for that matter) is that if your pet does over 50% of the total damage to something you kill, you get half experience from it. Necromancers get CRAPPY spells in regards to beating the pet out for damage, so my advice is to not even try. Go for quantity over quality.

Buy rusty 2h swords or rusty Halberds from a vendor, arm your level 4 & level 8 pets with one each time, and mow everything that's blue to you down.

At level 12 you get the first spell of the heat blood line and from that point on you can outdamage your pet easily for that sweet sweet exp.
Closed Thread