Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 10:50 AM
Aviak

Thumbs up Whoa has it been a long time......

So crazy to think that my kids will get to play this too. Thanks to the P99 team.

Now on to the actual purpose of the thread. My kids, and I will be diving in and leveling as a 3-some. In light of this I'm looking for some input. It's been so long, and I was so one sided in my first experience of EQ that I'm mixing it up this time. I'll be playing a Wizard or SK, solely because in my first experience I was a Necro, I always struggled to find a group even after LoY, and some of the group spells Necro's picked up. I may roll up and Ikky Necro too, but I digress. What I'm looking for is a reasonable 3-some that can lvl efficiently. It doesn't have to be the fastest outright or anything like that.

So far the classes I'm thinking are going to be some flavor of Wizard or SK / Probably a Ranger / and a Monk or Shaman or Druid

I know I can dig up some of my old stomping grounds for good camps for this little group, and truly I'm just interested in us having fun.
Old 11-14-2014, 12:54 PM
Aviak

As I begin to reminisce I'm thinking that my best option is going to either have us all go Human, and start in FP, or all go Elf and stary GFay.... Either way I can't help but feel like I need to be the tank.... So I began digging in, and looking here on the forums. All said, I recall having loads of fun with a Pally friend so maybe the SK is the wrong way to go. Is the XP hit for all Hybrids?
Old 11-14-2014, 03:08 PM
Banned

Monk, Shaman, Enchanter would be pretty lethal.
Old 11-14-2014, 03:17 PM
Aviak

I think shaman may be out, as they can't start anywhere close to FP or GFay... Best I can tell anyway.
Old 11-14-2014, 03:19 PM
Large Rat

I'd let the kids pick their classes, then take a filler class that compliments them. It also depends on their personalities. If one always has to be running around---you've got a puller. If one really doesn't like to get attacked in the game, then you've got a finger-waver.

So rather than pick their classes for them, I'd suggest that you let them see what's appealling to them, and then run what it takes to make their experience fun. That is probably a Priest, but you never know.

Groum
Old 11-14-2014, 03:22 PM
Aviak

Honestly everquest probably isn't as hard as you remember it was, so I say you 3 should just go whatever you like! Heck if you play your cards right all 3 could be clerics and still exp decently until much later levels.
Old 11-14-2014, 03:35 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poosammich [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So crazy to think that my kids will get to play this too. Thanks to the P99 team.

Now on to the actual purpose of the thread. My kids, and I will be diving in and leveling as a 3-some. In light of this I'm looking for some input. It's been so long, and I was so one sided in my first experience of EQ that I'm mixing it up this time. I'll be playing a Wizard or SK, solely because in my first experience I was a Necro, I always struggled to find a group even after LoY, and some of the group spells Necro's picked up. I may roll up and Ikky Necro too, but I digress. What I'm looking for is a reasonable 3-some that can lvl efficiently. It doesn't have to be the fastest outright or anything like that.

So far the classes I'm thinking are going to be some flavor of Wizard or SK / Probably a Ranger / and a Monk or Shaman or Druid

I know I can dig up some of my old stomping grounds for good camps for this little group, and truly I'm just interested in us having fun.
As a 60 wizard, wizards are great soloers and raiders, but they are not cut out for groups. Rangers are solid with good damage and utility, but not much more than you would with a shaman or druid in the group. An enchanter/bard are a very fun, dynamic and crucial class that breaks the "holy trinity" of modern MMOs, you'll be thankful if someone decides to play one. A lot of jaded powergamers that no longer see the game as anything more than numbers are going to chime in here with "Anything beyond warrior, rogue, monk, cleric, shaman or enchanter is useless," but don't listen to them, play what sounds fun. The only useless class in groups are wizards.

You'll be set with any healer and any melee for the majority of the game, but don't be afraid to try something unconventional and interesting.
Old 11-14-2014, 04:21 PM
Kobold

I personally think the SK/Ranger/Shammy wouldn't be a bad one. Shammy is always good for Melee with haste and slows.
Old 11-14-2014, 04:27 PM
Planar Protector

For the wiz/SK...pick SK.
Ranger...meh, but if that's what you want.
Monk/Druid/Shaman...pick druid for better travel or shaman for better grouping with the previous two. If you do go druid, it'll be easier for him to travel to pick up additional members though.
Old 11-15-2014, 05:57 AM
Planar Protector

I think I would throw a Druid in there instead of a Wizard. They can port, buff heal an do have damage spells, SoW etc. That way when Druid gets high enough can port you guys all around. I would go SK, Monk, Druid. SK can tap heal, Monk can Mend, and Druid can keep up with the spot heals. Win win I think. Lots of DPS, and Druid brings a lot of good stuff to the table, Snare, Root, Damage Shield, etc. Druids are a hell of a lot better than people think in a group other than a Port Whore trust me. They pretty much fade out at say level 54 though. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] All 3 classes can pull which is a God Send. The Druid has Harmony, which outdoors is just a killer spell to have to pull with.

Shaman is a bit over rated, which I have a really high level one, with the thought of Haste and Slows. If you are the ONLY healer in a group trust me you do NOT have the mana to haste 2 or 3 Melees, Slow every mob that comes and buff people let alone other people coming up to you wanting SoW etc. Canni is only so good lol, unless you want to have a lot of downtime. Plus Canni dancing gets REALLY OLD after about a hour let alone hours. My Druid, Cleric is a breeze to play, no pun intended, compared to a Shaman to play. Then you are sending in your Dog etc., Rogue, Tank want Strength Buff, Dex Buff for procs etc, you get the picture, it is a FULL TIME job.
Last edited by webrunner5; 11-15-2014 at 06:19 AM..
Closed Thread