Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Resolved Issues

Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 02:07 PM
Planar Protector

Posts in the 2003 thread you linked:

Quote:
And you know how? Besides, you're WRONG.

DA used to do "nothign else" and "do nothing to hate". This gave rise to DA tanking strat. In response, VI made it do SOMETHING to hate. So in that, you are very clearly wrong. That's why if you say, sat at a mobs feet while normal, the mob will hit you. While DA, if you sit at a mobs feet, it will still ignore you.

Before this change, if you sat at a mobs feet while DA, it did nothing to aggro; and that is why the mob would keep on beating the CLR.

I like how people state irrevocably how it works, yet the aggro affect on DA/DB is done serverside, and it is not contained in the Spdat.

So if you have proof, then show it.

BTW, to the person who said "pull multi mobs, CH, then DA, mobs will go back to you"...

I do this. I've tested this. And they don't. After DA they ignore me until i do something else. Sometimes one will come back to me, sometimes two. But usually they don't. And if it did nothing, 3 should come at me (the 4th is being occupied by tank).

My current theory is that it tinkers with a secondary part of the hate list, that is proximity. This would be why if you DA, you're effectively at the end of the hate list, but you are not. It lists you at "accross the zone" or whatever aggro.

Again I'm not saying you're wrong, but from all I've experienced most of what peopel are saying is completely different from my experience.

BTW, I tested it. Multi pull in POA in POP, DVA'd then did WoRevivis... All mobs on me (3), hit DA immediately, was at 40% HP... And took DA off. Mobs did not go at me, even though a few were still not tanked (tank death). They went after people who had done one heal, which i assure you is magnitudes less then a full WoRevivs.
Last edited by Schatze : 01-18-2003 at 08:48 PM.
Quote:
01-18-2003, 08:50 PM #33
Heihachi
Ragefire Camper 2.0

DA clears almost all aggro. I can easily toss a early CH on a multi-pull, DA off the aggro nearly instantly and click off DA to keep going. However if you were low health when you got your DA off, you'll probably be low health when it drops and you'll draw aggro again from health frenzy. Lately I've taken to just using DA or DB as much as possible.
They keep pointing out the mobs didn't go back to them, HOWEVER, with low HP/sitting they will. Which is often when people are DAing which leads to the common misconception you stay at same point in aggro list.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:05 PM
Planar Protector

There are just as many people that say mobs go back to them even without sitting/low hp aggro if the tank or someone else hasn't gotten higher on the hate list.

Quote:
Often it will only take a few seconds for the tank to regain a good hold on aggro, so that may make it seem like DA eliminates aggro, but it doesn't. I've had it happen where if I click off DA too soon on raids, that the mob would come right back onto me, even without low health aggro.
CH aggro and heal aggro in general probably needs to be upped some.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:06 PM
Sarnak

How it worked on eqmac was that DA would leave you essentially at 1pt of aggro when it wore off. For example, you could have a bard da song a group of wizards/dps on long fights so that their aggro could be 'reset' to 1 and they could just unload.

It was not a commonly known or needed tactic. I read about it on some classic bard strategy/"exploits" thread.

edit: just to highlight, I found out about the aggro reset trick from a classic live eq forum that talked about old tricks and tried it on Al'Kabor and found it was still in an un-nerfed state. It was not eqmac exclusive.
Last edited by Zapatos; 02-19-2014 at 06:58 PM..
Old 02-19-2014, 04:19 PM
Planar Protector

It did indeed function like that on EQMac. I raided as a Cleric/Bard/Druid 3-box most often there, and my Druid had 2x DA earring to chain recharge. I would regularly use DA as an aggro dump when chain nuking on the Druid or as the bard in a caster group. Or the cleric when the engaging CH got me aggro.

It functioned like that 100% on Live at some point in time, and got nerfed around when LoY launched as is stated in one of the first posts I quoted. I think it functioned like this from the time they changed aggro-holding-while-DA til LoY.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:20 PM
Planar Protector

Interesting, didn't know that about EQMac.
Old 02-21-2014, 01:29 PM
Planar Protector

Can provide logs if necessary from there. I explicitly spent 700k+ on a set of DA Earrings to utilize this mechanic on long raids where Druid nukes would generally get me summoned if/when the tank died.
Old 06-01-2014, 06:47 PM
Planar Protector

http://www.thesafehouse.org/forums/s...ead.php?t=7155

Quote:
Now the important thing is that the bard have the DA song "Kazumi's Note of Preservation" When sung everyone in the group who is within the radius of the song becomes invincible like the priest class DA spell. The cool thing is though... when your grouped with a bard and they group DA song... it wipes your agro down to 1 point.

So basically it works like this. You have one wizard in the group who will call nukes and DA. Once the fight is in progress and the mob is suitably agro'd on your main tank, that wizard calls "nuke" everyone then begins to chain cast nukes on the mob. When the agro is building to a level where Wizard death is imminent, the "DA" call is made. At the point all the wizards lose all thier agro but one point. You can then chain nuke again. Kazumi's Note of Preservation has a refresh time of 3 minutes, so on a long fight you may want to have 2 bards in the group or swap out the bard once DA is used with a bard with it ready to go. If the fight is going to be long, and your short on bards, it is a good idea to nuke / concuss / nuke / concuss to extend the duration between DA's as you have only one bard available. Also, once the DA song hits, you can click it off without having to wait for it to run it's full duration and still get the agro wipe.
This is the tactic we used on EQMac for long fights where we were low on DPS (Seru cause f getting melee banes) or fights where positioning was extremely important and letting someone move the mob via over-aggro meant a wipe (Fennin Ro).
Old 03-25-2015, 01:13 AM
Sarnak

Bump -

Found another account to support when DA wears off it clears agro -

http://www.eqclerics.org/forums/showthread.php?t=6050
Grumbles - 12/08/02 - "Another time when we were feeding Sontalak I DA'd right at the end and sat down to med hoping for enough to get out one more CH, Sont ate the last melee, I was DA so he buggered off to the front of the tunnel again hehe."
Old 03-25-2015, 08:10 AM
Planar Protector

Loved this mechanic on EQMac. Really hope we can find a bit more evidence to narrow down its functionality time period.

Again it should drop your to the LOWEST point on the aggro list. But not off the list entirely.

So you can DA and immediately click it off and its as though you had just a single point of body aggro. Things like low HP aggro would still function though so if you lose DA with low HP aggro you would have 1 point of aggro + Low HP Aggro. Sit aggro would also add to your 1 point if you were sitting.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Ele:

As some of the posters mention, even if it does have a DS component, the mob cannot connect so the DS isn't effective for anything but creating stacking issues.
u sure bout that?
Closed Thread