Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 03:04 PM
Sarnak

Default Necro agro kiting?

is Necromancer agro kiting viable here? I remember playing here back near launch of the server and they had some problems with mob run speeds and they would always catch you no matter what. is this still the case or is agro kiting possible now?
Old 04-24-2017, 03:09 PM
Planar Protector

aggro kiting is worse than fear kiting - mobs only take 66% damage from dots if not running (feared) or rooted.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 04-24-2017, 03:11 PM
Sarnak

blarg, i HATE fear kiting, and absolutely adore agro kiting, sucks is not viable i was really hoping to rekindle my love of Necros, I may have to switch it up and play a mage :/
Old 04-24-2017, 03:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troxx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
aggro kiting is worse than fear kiting - mobs only take 66% damage from dots if not running (feared) or rooted.
but...........................................

Say you have a flame lick spell.

and a pet.

and you remove 1hp of damage from flame lick per strike cus the 'mob is running' and then your pet does full melee damage to said mob whlie you just run around in circles not tripping about anything and gaining more mana than youre spending without lich on....

agro kiting for a pet class > fear kiting.

But.. necro has no agro spell like flame lick so mute point? Hey, duo!
Old 04-24-2017, 04:21 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeatee [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
blarg, i HATE fear kiting, and absolutely adore agro kiting, sucks is not viable i was really hoping to rekindle my love of Necros, I may have to switch it up and play a mage :/
Aggro kiting is already sloppy and awful, not sure why you'd want to do it when you can fear or at least root. The only time I can think of aggro kiting as Necro is in PoP zones when root and fear were both no-go's.

Quote:
and you remove 1hp of damage from flame lick per strike cus the 'mob is running' and then your pet does full melee damage to said mob whlie you just run around in circles not tripping about anything and gaining more mana than youre spending without lich on....
What's the point here? Is the goal to kill a green mob, or are you happy getting ~50% exp while doing all that work? Aggro kiting is "great" when you have a partner and pets or are doing it to specifically bypass mechanics, but its slow and boring for everyone involved.
Old 04-24-2017, 04:38 PM
Planar Protector

high level fear (100 mana cost before specialization kicks in) lasts 7 ticks ... and 7 ticks of medding is 140 mana's worth in meditating not counting the extra hp regen from sitting. Aggro kiting you're never sitting, never getting meditate, and never getting that precious extra hp regen.

As a necro, aggro kiting is a LOT less efficient at this point in EQ's timeline. You can totally do it, it's just not worth it. If you don't out dps your pet, your pet takes 50% xp. If you DO out damage your pet, you have a lot of downtime to get that mana back. Better to fear kite, med, and let your pet do the work for you. Even better - find another pet class (or really anyone) to duo with. Pet no longer takes 50% xp (now shared with group mate). Group mate can chain pull while you spend only mana on snare and fear. Letting your pet do the lion's share of the work is way more efficient than trying to out-damage your pet (solo or duo). Having that 2nd person (pet takes no xp) to help dps and pull for you is way better than trying to aggro kite.

Charming, however, is the tops - solo - if all you care about is speed of xp. Only down side is you have to limit yourself to camps with undead.

Last edited by Troxx; 04-24-2017 at 04:41 PM..
Old 04-24-2017, 04:38 PM
Sarnak

Aggro kiting works fine. It's just not as efficient as fearing and sitting to med, in most cases. As a Druid I used to aggro kite when I had to kill a non-animal mob and I had a charmed animal. As a Bard I often aggro kite...but when I can fear kite, it's more efficient.

If snared, the mob won't catch you. Get Sow pots or Jboots asap ofc to help out.

You do you.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:32 AM
Large Bat

You can agro kite with no problem once you get Dooming Darkness. You don't need Jboots or SOW, since the mob is sufficiently slowed. But, as others have pointed out already, it's inefficient to agro kite.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:44 AM
Planar Protector

Yes just remember that feared mobs take 100% damage from dots. Not feared mobs take 66% damage from dots while chasing you.

Old 04-26-2017, 01:36 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Fear kiting is absolutely ridiculous and you simply don't do it. The only and standard way to kite is reverse kiting or "agro kiting" like they call it here. The hit you take in exp by doing so doesn't matter, because Everquest is not a race that you can win. It may take a bit longer, but you will reach level 60 like everyone else and then you start a twink and do it all over again.