Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 05:36 AM
Sarnak

Default Mage pet buffs?

So I understand that burnout gives str and haste, and that haste does not stack. But does a mage pet benefit from a strength buff?

Also, is it beneficial to give your pet a summoned coldstone (presumably if he takes the 5 ac)?

Thank you!

"if the rules are all you use to determine what you should or shouldn't do, you're probably an a-hole" -soup

Hooden • Xegony enchanter '00 - '02 • <Aeternus> from SoD '06 - '07
Old 05-03-2017, 05:46 AM
Fire Giant

Strength should lead to more hits in the higher range and i think i noticed it being the case. Coldstone may help, but 5 AC wont be very noticable. When i am grouping and keeping the same pet all the time i often put unwanted armor pieces on it. And that seems to make the pet more sturdy, it seems to be tanking a lot better when it has a lot of armor.
Old 05-03-2017, 07:09 AM
Kobold

Can confirm str buffs will raise the average hit, when I fully buff my buddies epic mage pet, we see a lot more 81's than without shaman buffs.
Old 05-08-2017, 03:58 PM
Planar Protector

To add to the epic pet post. DEX should help with increasing the proc rate. VERY small amount but it should add.
Old 05-08-2017, 04:01 PM
Planar Protector

str buffs do helps damage but to a point in my personal experience on mage and shaman pets. STR buffing will help keep the hits rolling higher.. That is if you're of decent level already. It's not necessarily noticeable aka you wont be tearing through mobs super fast with a str buffed pet. But it does give a slight edge.

As far as dex helping pets 'proc'.. I know they're on a timer so your pet cant use it's ability back to back like a madman. I have not seen my mage pets use their abilities crazy even with boon+dex+fos aka capped dex. :\

Side note.. ac buff also has a minor affect pets survivability.

I cant recommend buffing mage pets unless you know they're not going to die. Meaning you know how to play mage in a solid group or you have a solid agro tank. Otherwise burnout+DS and summon a new one near death, etc..

As far as armour on the pet.. I have no hard proof on actually giving your pet gear armour,. only weapons but you didnt ask about weapons...
Supposedly armour gear helps pets.

I'm a strong believer in chain summoning or having a player tank. Thus your pet wont be taking damage(with player tank).

---
I suppose the best question to ask is Does resistance on gear given to the pet. Boost the mage's pet's resistance? Now that is some meta shit. and far above my pay grade.

I presume resistance buffs apply to pets. Have not tested that..
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Last edited by Baler; 05-08-2017 at 04:11 PM..
Old 05-08-2017, 04:07 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
str buffs do helps damage but to a point in my personal experience on mage and shaman pets. STR buffing will help keep the hits rolling higher.. That is if you're of decent level already. It's not necessarily noticeable aka you wont be tearing through mobs super fast with a str buffed pet. But it does give a slight edge.

As far as dex helping pets 'proc'.. I know they're on a timer so your pet cant use it's ability back to back like a madman. I have not seen my mage pets use their abilities crazy even with boon+dex+fos aka capped dex. :\

Side note.. ac buff also has a minor affect pets survivability.

I cant recommend buffing mage pets unless you know they're not going to die. Meaning you know how to play mage in a solid group or you have a solid agro tank. Otherwise burnout+DS and summon a new one near death, etc..
^^^ Very good post.

Dex should matter but since P99 nerfs the proc with timers instead of % per hit, then ya might as well not do anything except extra STR.

EDIT-
Humm...wait, I thought timers could be used with spells not procs on the DB side. Maybe they have the epic pet proc listed as a spell. Maybe that is the problem.
Old 05-08-2017, 04:29 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
---
I suppose the best question to ask is Does resistance on gear given to the pet. Boost the mage's pet's resistance? Now that is some meta shit. and far above my pay grade.

I presume resistance buffs apply to pets. Have not tested that..
Yes, and yes. MRing an enc's charm pet/giving it MR gear is a super shitty move that will wreck their charm stability until it wears off or they dispel it / get a new pet. (and -mr gear helps the charm, tola robe gives worn 40%, etc)

Unfortunately with mage pets you don't get the gear back, and there's no suspend AA....so yeah...probably not worth doing unless you're giving it rots off what you're killing

~Urrsa -60 Ogre Shaman-
~Gream -60 Dark Elf Cleric-
~Greame -60 Halfling Druid-
~Oppa -41 Dark Elf Enchanter-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haynar View Post
boxers are responsible for ruining EQ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirken View Post
Rogean sits on his ivory throne and casts lightning bolts at anyone that disagrees with him or goes against the grain.
Old 05-08-2017, 04:38 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
MRing an enc's charm pet/giving it MR gear is a super shitty move that will wreck their charm stability
Charm enchanter code != Mage pet code.
I'm superbly aware of the 0 to -MR that enchanters want. You should never presume all pet's are the same in regards to code. For example!!! I know for a fact that shaman pet's AI is different than Mage pet's AI.

and in regards to mages pets not giving gear back that is why I listed it as "meta" and "above my pay grade". There are mages out there tho who have a shit ton of plat, time or items.
Last edited by Baler; 05-08-2017 at 04:42 PM..
Old 05-08-2017, 04:57 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Charm enchanter code != Mage pet code.
Charm pet gear and resistance rules ~= mage pet gear and resistance rules

~Urrsa -60 Ogre Shaman-
~Gream -60 Dark Elf Cleric-
~Greame -60 Halfling Druid-
~Oppa -41 Dark Elf Enchanter-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haynar View Post
boxers are responsible for ruining EQ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirken View Post
Rogean sits on his ivory throne and casts lightning bolts at anyone that disagrees with him or goes against the grain.
Old 05-08-2017, 05:08 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
~=
heh it all depends on the language.. so I said != which means not equal.. I know of one language that ~= means not equal too.

So when I used != it just meant Does Not Equal.

C#, C, C++: !=
Lua is the language I know uses: ~=

/shrug

---
It's funny because == and = are totally different also. @_@
---
So in regards to EQ,..
Enchanter pet code is 100% NOT the same as Mage pet code which is 100% NOT the same as shaman pet code.
That clear enough for you?
Thus making statements that resist gear affects mage pets 100% certainly based on enchanter code is NOT true, Unless proven.
And frankly I think we both have better things to do than gather statistics on resist based attacks/spells onto magician pets.

SOOOO to cover all bases,. buff ur mage pets with resist if you think they'll be getting hit with spells resistable by said resists.

---
but honestly if you're worrying this much about your mage pets,. You should read into the mage pet lore. They're not living conscious beings. You can summon a mage pet, spit in it's face, then kill it and it wouldn't care. nor remember or recognize. They are constructed to serve their master.
Last edited by Baler; 05-08-2017 at 05:19 PM..
Closed Thread