Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 01:06 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeatee [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
is there a difference in desirability in the 50 + group game where most groups want a SK or a pally etc or does it not matter and a tank is a tank?
It's exceedingly rare for a group to care which of the two classes they invite. As far as most groups care a knight is a knight.

Danth
Old 05-09-2017, 02:40 PM
Fire Giant

Both classes are amazing group tanks and neither of them are very efficient at soloing. With all things being fairly equal it all comes down to spells.. and Paladins have a way better toolkit. Paladins blow SKs out of the water when it comes to utility, it's not even a close fight. Remember, they are the only tank class in the game that has root. This makes you a front-line CC + tank in group settings.. a lot more useful than a crappy snare-dot. Secondly, you get some really powerful heals, comparable to what a Shaman/Druid can do at equivalent levels.. plus a very efficient heal-over-time later on.

I'm not even going to mention how useless HT is compared to LoH, having an attainable epic, stun-locking mobs, or 90% rez, because the root + heals alone already make Paladins the objectively better group tank.
Last edited by Sage Truthbearer; 05-09-2017 at 02:45 PM..
Old 05-09-2017, 02:47 PM
Sarnak

Paladin sounds pretty attractive when you out it like that. Does race make a difference with pally? I am really thinking dwarf.
Old 05-09-2017, 04:05 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeatee [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I am really thinking dwarf.
Play what makes you happy.

Which is better depends on you.
Raiding you probably want more wisdom.
New/self-made man you probably want more strength.
Dwarf has low charisma (pulling with lulls) but charisma gear is cheap...
Old 05-09-2017, 04:55 PM
Sarnak

is ghoulbane a good low to mid level weapon? I came into one one and its making me want to lean towards pally, i know its for their epic but is it something i could use for a while ?
also thanks everyone for answering my questions , its been a hot minute since ive played eq and never really played a pally before

also if i go dwarf pally, would i want to put the extra points into sta for hp or into cha to try and bring it up some
Last edited by Seeatee; 05-09-2017 at 05:02 PM..
Old 05-09-2017, 05:23 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
is ghoulbane a good low to mid level weapon?
It's not bad. Slower delay let's you cast spells between swings.
Quote:
also if i go dwarf pally, would i want to put the extra points into sta for hp or into cha to try and bring it up some
I would go sta or wis...
Old 05-09-2017, 05:24 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Does race make a difference with pally? I am really thinking dwarf.
Hardly. There isn't THAT much of a stat difference between the options (no Ogres, etc) and their factions are all broadly similar. Pick the one you like the best.

Danth
Old 05-09-2017, 05:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
is ghoulbane a good low to mid level weapon? I came into one one and its making me want to lean towards pally, i know its for their epic but is it something i could use for a while ?
also thanks everyone for answering my questions , its been a hot minute since ive played eq and never really played a pally before

Go +wis, +cha items are usually dirt cheap and theres a couple cheap ones with 10+ cha for lulls.
Old 05-09-2017, 06:49 PM
Fire Giant

Worth noting that Tunare worshiping paladins (high or half elf) have access to http://wiki.project1999.com/Natures_Defender . About as good as epic and easier to acquire.
Old 05-10-2017, 02:27 AM
Planar Protector

Both classes are pretty fun, and probably viewed equally by xp groups.

With the equipment we have available now, tanking is pretty trivial. Even rangers can make a passable job of group content if they remember to keep their AC buffed. Go with your heart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fash [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Worth noting that Tunare worshiping paladins (high or half elf) have access to http://wiki.project1999.com/Natures_Defender . About as good as epic and easier to acquire.
Is it Bashable?
Closed Thread