Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 04:23 PM
Fire Giant

My recommendation is actually to plan to play two classes when you start - a caster like necro or mage is perfect for an easy solo character that needs little gear (a mage can easily level to 50+ wearing literally nothing but a torch of alna). And because that character needs basically no gear, you can put the money you make with that character towards gearing up a character that might be more gear/group dependent.

It helps keep things from getting stale or frustrating just playing one character, especially if it's a class that is tougher when starting from scratch so will be more group reliant.
Last edited by Tenlaar; 05-18-2017 at 04:28 PM..
Old 05-19-2017, 08:21 AM
Sarnak

Monk.

Game is tough. Monk is tough.

Monk.
Period.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:23 PM
Banned

Probably the worst aspect of the game is dying due to some unfortunate circumstance, maybe even forgetting to leave an item and leaving no corpse for a res then losing time. The best classes are the ones that do not have to die unless they feel like it ( most of the time )

Necro, SK, or Monk. Each are pretty easy to gear and even the SK is cheap because of this top heavy server.

Avoid XP penalty, get to 60 fastest.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:40 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by teai [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Probably the worst aspect of the game is dying due to some unfortunate circumstance, maybe even forgetting to leave an item and leaving no corpse for a res then losing time. The best classes are the ones that do not have to die unless they feel like it ( most of the time )

Necro, SK, or Monk. Each are pretty easy to gear and even the SK is cheap because of this top heavy server.

Avoid XP penalty, get to 60 fastest.
Sound advice. Don't go Cleric.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:28 PM
Kobold

Take a couple days and try out different classes you think you'll like. Sell some bone chips in EC. Buy some gear. Find something you enjoy and stick with it.
Old 05-23-2017, 05:27 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syllibus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's actually another work of art by the late Keith Parkinson, who did the boxart for original EQ, Kunark, Velious, etc. https://www.keithparkinson.com/
ah very nice, his art is great, gonna check out more of him. Actually, I was thinking of Viktor Vasnetsov hehe. An inspiration perhaps to Keith. Dang, every aspect of classic EQ is great, from artwork to music(Jay Barbeau)
Old 05-25-2017, 05:28 PM
Kobold

Some classes are more expensive than others, but this server is so top heavy that even decently good gear is incredibly cheap, if not free.

I wouldn't let that factor into your decision too much.

Shaman is one of the most expensive classes (maybe only after Warrior) and I had no problem playing it as my first character.
Old 05-25-2017, 07:51 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syllibus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's actually another work of art by the late Keith Parkinson, who did the boxart for original EQ, Kunark, Velious, etc. https://www.keithparkinson.com/
Keith is may favorite fantasy artist. I believe that piece is called Valshea. Probably my favorite work from Keith is the North Watch. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Sorry for the derail OP. My suggestion would be like others have said, is to pick a few and try them out. Once you've picked one, have a cheap alt in place to break up the tedium.