Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 03:26 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This brings up a can of worms. Is infamy the same as fame after time passes?
Jesus was pretty unwell-liked in his time and that opinion REALLY changed with that whole Holy Roman Empire thing. Hitler was pretty famous once and is less well regarded now.

Fame. Infamy. I think it's the same thing. Opinions can change about a man, but nothing can change the fact that ALOT of people have an opinion about him.
Old 05-18-2017, 03:27 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecily [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Fame. Infamy. I think it's the same thing. Opinions can change about a man, but nothing can change the fact that ALOT of people have an opinion about him.
Infamy means the same thing as fame, but fame doesn't mean the same thing as infamy. It's a frogs and toads situation.
Also its pretty hard not to post after you.. not because you have a stimulating(sic), but because you are constantly patrolling RnF and filling it with your spam.
Old 05-18-2017, 03:31 PM
Planar Protector

well I'm satisfied with this thread. Thanks for the chat Cecily. Sorry I missed interpreted what you said a page back.
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 05-18-2017, 03:38 PM
Planar Protector

I'd argue it's always the same thing. Just depends on which side of the fence you're on. A person convicted for running a cannibalistic BDSM petting zoo/daycare center might rightfully be considered infamous by some if not most people, but you might regard that person as quite a hero for living the dream if you happen to be cannibalistic BDSM enthusiast.

And furthermore, who can say how public opinion about cannibalistic BDSM will change over time? Why can't someone into kinky sex and eatting human flesh be considered a responsible child care provider and pet owner?
Last edited by Cecily; 05-18-2017 at 03:46 PM..
Old 05-18-2017, 03:45 PM
Planar Protector

But the words cannot be used interchangeably due to the negative connotations associated with infamy. A toad is always a frog, but a frog is not always a toad.
Also its pretty hard not to post after you.. not because you have a stimulating(sic), but because you are constantly patrolling RnF and filling it with your spam.
Old 05-18-2017, 03:52 PM
Planar Protector

I conceed that point, but I've never respected connotations personally.

-an idea or feeling that a word invokes in addition to its literal or primary meaning.

That strikes me as a suggestion, and the humor possibilities for filling in a blank with an appropriate but "wrong" word never fail to amuse me here or IRL. That's why my analogies never work for the purpose of arguing, but it makes me laugh writing it so w/e.
Old 05-18-2017, 04:01 PM
Planar Protector

You could say Rebecca Black is famous/infamous for her song Friday.
You could say Jeffrey Dahmer was infamous/famous for raping, killing, and eating boys (sometimes in that order).
You would never say Bill Gates and his wife were infamous for the good work they do with the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
Old 05-18-2017, 04:15 PM
Planar Protector

That's because the language you're using negates itself. Bill and Melinda Gates were infamous for their good work. Which I do find kinda funny and yeah I absolutely could find a way to say that. Just the likelihood of a person using a negative connotation (infamous) to describe something they're biased to positively (good work) isn't very high. Now if I had a negative opinion about people richer than god amusing themselves by seeing if you really can fix all the world's problems by throwing money at them... infamous would absolutely apply to them and the concept of connotative relativity comes back into play.
Old 05-18-2017, 04:23 PM
Banned

nerds
Old 05-18-2017, 04:25 PM
Planar Protector

Fuck off. I like talking about writing things. In other news, Chris Cornell died.
Baler did bring up a good point. He did he burn out or fade away? Which is better?
Last edited by Cecily; 05-18-2017 at 04:27 PM..
Closed Thread