Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 04:26 PM
Sarnak

Default Popular zones as a tank

First off let me apologize for making so many posts lately I just returned for the first time in many years so I am left with a lot of questions

What level as a tank can you go Into the popular zones and find a group tanking. I currently have a 20 warrior and a 40 sk and they are both kind of at awkward in between levels, the war about to head to mm and the sk to com, if I go to mm at 20 or commercial at 40 would I actually find groups there? Should I hang back in the previous zones a few more levels? Basically as a grouping tank what is the zone progression and when do I head there?
Old 05-28-2017, 05:30 PM
Planar Protector

Pug route is as u say yourself MM -(solB/HH)- CoM. F'ex "maintaining tradition" its 40 for groups in CoM but u could go there earlier, atleast as a cleric. Tanks in general are "preferred" to be of higher lvl than rest of group composition. Just go to CoM and LFG, shouldnt be any trouble. Can stay alil while more in (Unrest?) with the warrior before heading to MM. But why lvl so many tanks at the same time? And remember to floss, it saves your teeth(this Im more of saying to myself)
Old 05-28-2017, 05:39 PM
Sarnak

Lol I love tanking, war was my main on live and I said never again and made a sk here and I. Missed the war so I made one, plus if there are no groups on one can check the other
Old 05-28-2017, 11:10 PM
Planar Protector

My SK visited CoM at 35. Stables was the easiest area to tank, temple wasn't too bad either. Arena was pretty difficult at this level, mainly because of the goos.

When groups wouldn't accept me because I was 'too low level' I' just take temple or stables for myself and fear kite haze golems, plaguebone skeletons, occasionally also vapour golems and captain of the guard.

This was all with self found vanilla/early kunark gear and a mace of the shadowed souls; no haste, no fungi/ikkybp. Your SK should do an admirable job in CoM, and perhaps it is even worth sending tells to groups in karnors castle to see if they would take you too.

Note: an advantage of this zone is you can bind here, even as a melee!
Last edited by Jimjam; 05-28-2017 at 11:39 PM..
Old 05-28-2017, 11:46 PM
Sarnak

let me ask another question, between my tanks i have probably one full set of decent to good gear, in all honesty it really makes sense to focus on one over the other, should i focus on the 20 warrior or the 40 sk? I am leaning towards sk because as much as i would love to raid tank on him i feel like in 99% of places that job is already filled and has a line of tanks ready to take over. i will probably consolidate all my gear onto one toon and then slowly gear the other with my mage as i can.
Old 05-29-2017, 12:19 AM
Planar Protector

You can get by with pretty bad gear until the 50s. A good set of weapons with 20ish% haste and ~150 worn AC is more than enough for group content. A pair of Velium/Platinum fire wedding rings will last you a very long time so are a worthwhile investment too.

With 20% worn haste an enchanter buffs will put you at the haste cap for your level most of the way through the game.

In raids shadowknights and paladins are generally used as rampage or trashclear tanks rather than main tanks as they can self heal but lack an equivalent to defensive disc.

Having two characters in different level ranges is nice, if you can't find a quick group on one you can switch to another. It sucks to be sat on your ass lfg all day!
Last edited by Jimjam; 05-29-2017 at 12:21 AM..
Old 05-29-2017, 01:05 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeatee [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
let me ask another question, between my tanks i have probably one full set of decent to good gear, in all honesty it really makes sense to focus on one over the other, should i focus on the 20 warrior or the 40 sk? I am leaning towards sk because as much as i would love to raid tank on him i feel like in 99% of places that job is already filled and has a line of tanks ready to take over. i will probably consolidate all my gear onto one toon and then slowly gear the other with my mage as i can.
Play both.

Have a friend swap your one great set between your tanks when you feel like playing the other.

Eventually one will hold your attention more than the other, and you'll go further on that one.
Old 05-31-2017, 03:58 PM
Sarnak

I got my SK fully geared up, I really dont want to clutter up the forum with another question so I am going to just post it in here since it is semi related.

at level 40, fully geared , no buffs, as a dark elf shadow knight is 1599 health and 756 in the ballpark of where i need to be / good enough? how long will this last me, at what point should I start looking to get better gear?
Old 06-01-2017, 09:38 AM
Sarnak

Unrest, Mistmoore, Highkeep, and City of Mist are all awesome options from 20-50. Finish off the journey in Karnor and Sebilis

All of these are easily puggable, though you won't see much cash flow in a full group
Old 06-01-2017, 02:34 PM
Planar Protector

I should imagine that gear could carry you to 60 on classic, kunark and unfactioned velious content.

That said, why not keep upgrading if that is what you enjoy?

Now you are 40 you can share xp with a level 60. Consider hitting up Wakening Lands and joining a faction group to make friends with the dwarfs. No one there will care about your level.

Once this is done you can join Kael plate house / arena groups, these are often done as open greed events for lvl 45+ and will give you quest components for Thurgadin quest armor. This armor, and further levels, should be sufficient for getting you started in the high end velious scene.
Closed Thread