Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 01:01 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Default ????

Did you really just compare EQ to real life? Cuz ogres, trolls, halflings (well, maybe halflings) and magic exist in real life. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-22-2013, 01:10 AM
Aviak

I refuse to buy that the Frogloks overtook Grobb, in Live, in your idea, either way, they're frogs....just....frogs.. This is not a constructive post, that just really bugged me then, and the suggestion that it happen again, bugs me still
Old 08-22-2013, 01:49 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimic [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Did you really just compare EQ to real life? Cuz ogres, trolls, halflings (well, maybe halflings) and magic exist in real life. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It doesn't matter if it's real life or a fantasy World, the concepts hold true either way. Since when do Ogres, Halflings, and Elves associate with each other as if it's completely normal? When the Hobbits got to Rivendale, did they just say "oh, ok" and then start talking to all the Elves as if they were best friends? No, they didn't. That's the whole point behind why they are different races and live in separate parts of the World. Sure, they can band together if they share a common goal, but there's always going to be a level of misunderstanding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAllen82 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I refuse to buy that the Frogloks overtook Grobb, in Live, in your idea, either way, they're frogs....just....frogs.
So are Iksar just Lizards? There's no way they could have possibly created a vast empire and conquered the World? And those little Gnomes, how can they possibly be fighting against "real people" and not getting squashed?

I don't see any point to what you're saying. Just some kind of really weird bias about this particular fantasy race. "Not Classic" would be the best argument, but I thought Frogloks were cool as a playable race when that happened, I dunno. That was one of the few things non-classic Everquest actually got right, because it was a real World-changing event.

It's great when you can meld the need for game balance with a roleplaying motive. The "Good" team needs a stronghold in that section of the World, to have a nice balance between the 3 alignments, and the Froglok storyline is a perfect accommodation.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:09 AM
Kobold

Seems pretty weird. And neutrals only get 3 class penalties that really dont hurt that much...sk,nec,bst. Goods dont have rogues,enchanter? lol and evils no wiz and druid...hw they can port n travel fast? Would hurt raiding abit.

Id see newts owning this server.
Last edited by Tikku82; 08-22-2013 at 02:11 AM..
Old 08-22-2013, 02:20 AM
Planar Protector

Need hie end more than mag
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autotune View Post
Dance puppets dance.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:44 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikku82 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Neutrals only get 3 class penalties that really dont hurt that much...sk,nec,bst.
That's because they have the weakest strongholds. The Evil and Good factions have attuned areas which better allow them to farm more of the best equipment.

The nice thing about having the attuned areas is that they serve as a buffer for game balance. If a certain alignment is too powerful or too weak, you can adjust their safe areas to make the playing field more level. Travel is HUGELY important in this game setup, because of how limited teleports are, so being forced to run through another alignment's stronghold is a crucial aspect of how the game would work.
Old 08-22-2013, 03:03 AM
Large Bat

i like the idea of these restrictions, however, all alignments should prob have access to enchanters

maybe deny goods bards instead?

also perhaps neuts could have access to druids while goods/bads have access to wizards
you could choose not to include strategic port spells in the game
So heed well my name,

Zorro

Old 08-22-2013, 03:05 AM
Kobold

Gotta have evil wizards... A DE Wizard is a must.

Especially since no evil races have druids or wizards for ports.

Other than that, I see you've put a lot of thought into this. Interesting read.
Old 08-22-2013, 03:07 AM
Banned

sounds like dog shit
Old 08-22-2013, 03:55 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Gotta have evil wizards... A DE Wizard is a must.

Especially since no evil races have druids or wizards for ports.

Other than that, I see you've put a lot of thought into this. Interesting read.
Glad you found it interesting. Dark Elf Wizards would ruin the balance, though. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I don't want the evils to have teleports because they already "control" so much of the game area. They are the only alignment that actually gets to start in Kunark and the Iksars are centrally located on the continent, allowing them to easily push out in any direction and fight the competition away. It's a huge, huge benefit.

The evils are also the only alignment to get Enchanter and Cleric in the same race, which is a huge advantage for grouping since groups are racially limited. The extreme lack of mobility within the alignment should balance out their other massive advantages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Zorro [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i like the idea of these restrictions, however, all alignments should prob have access to enchanters.
Thanks for the input and support.

I wouldn't say Enchanters are completely necessary, though? No tash can be a big detriment, but it's not insurmountable. In the end, Clerics are really the only "must have" class in the game, because unless you rework the game mechanics, having Complete Heal is necessary for taking on the hardest content in the game. The good alliance has two Bard races, so that should be fine with regards to fulfilling the crowd control requirement (it would be really cool to see Bards at the forefront like that, actually).

I believe it's very important for all of the alignments to have a significantly different feel. The good alignment has the most stability via a combination of having the most healers, good movement ability, and a couple key strongholds. The neutral race has the most potential for maximization because of the classes they have access to, but they have to fight an uphill battle the whole way because of lacking important strongholds. The evil alignment starts off with the biggest advantage, by far, by also has the lowest capability for rapid expansion.

You want the alignments to be radically different but still have roughly equal odds.