Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 04:44 PM
Sarnak

wow? heh, sorry no. i play motherfucking everquest. vapid cretins.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messianic [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ur wrong dude classic eq was fairy lollipop beer land

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

Quote:
Straw man
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A straw man argument is an informal fallacy based on misrepresentation of an opponent's position. [1] To "attack a straw man" is to create the illusion of having refuted a proposition by substituting a superficially similar yet unequivalent proposition (the "straw man"), and refuting it, without ever having actually refuted the original position.

Reasoning

The straw man fallacy occurs in the following pattern of argument:

1. Person A has position X.
2. Person B disregards certain key points of X and instead presents the superficially-similar position Y. Thus, Y is a resulting distorted version of X and can be set up in several ways, including:
1. Presenting a misrepresentation of the opponent's position and then refuting it, thus giving the appearance that the opponent's actual position has been refuted.[1]
2. Quoting an opponent's words out of context – i.e. choosing quotations that misrepresent the opponent's actual intentions (see contextomy and quote mining).[2]
3. Presenting someone who defends a position poorly as the defender, then refuting that person's arguments – thus giving the appearance that every upholder of that position (and thus the position itself) has been defeated.[1]
4. Inventing a fictitious persona with actions or beliefs which are then criticized, implying that the person represents a group of whom the speaker is critical.
5. Oversimplifying an opponent's argument, then attacking this oversimplified version.
3. Person B attacks position Y, concluding that X is false/incorrect/flawed.

This sort of "reasoning" is fallacious, because attacking a distorted version of a position fails to constitute an attack on the actual position.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:02 PM
Kobold

The opening sentence made my head hurt.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:24 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilbog [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yes, thank you for this. I was wondering if Erollisi Marr just happened to be more hardcore than some of the other PVE servers. That was my home from 99-04, and I had pretty much all of those experiences.

I was a paladin and usually the puller for my Lower Guk groups. Competition was insane because there were usually 40-50 people in the zone on dial up (scary). Sometimes trains were created by people trying to pull all the npcs they could back to their group, due to the amount of groups vs. exp mobs.

Watched a buddy get the "too many bags in a trade window" scam done to him, and his entire suit of rubicite stolen. Lead GM Uini said they were aware of the bug, but would not assist in any way.

Long before item links, and before the group system announced who looted what item, ninja looting was extreme. People could do a quick loot/right click/stand and steal pretty much anything without being noticed.

You could follow your rival guild, and when they engaged raid npcs, you could open trade windows to trade 1cp to all their healers. (Interrupted spells)

In short, emarr was gangsta, and petitions didn't happen often.
Nice! I was from E Marr as well, I remembered Da Kor and Midnight Sojourn was the shitniz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Good old time.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:57 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinidas [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
great... now I gotta figure out where robe of fuckery drops :/
Get OUTTA my head [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 10-07-2010, 03:38 AM
Sarnak

Hehe, sounds like Xegony.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:48 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

I've got no idea what you guys are talking about. I beta tested and played in '99 on up. I never saw any of these actions on Rallos Zek or Sullon Zek. Anytime you were fighting for mobs, you would simply wait for the opposing group to pull a mob, then kill them and steal the mob. No one had to petition anything, no one cried. Guess the folks on Rallos and Sullon just knew how to get along better /shrug
And take over your face
With the front of my Hatredcopter
Old 10-07-2010, 07:31 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanlei [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I've got no idea what you guys are talking about. I beta tested and played in '99 on up. I never saw any of these actions on Rallos Zek or Sullon Zek. Anytime you were fighting for mobs, you would simply wait for the opposing group to pull a mob, then kill them and steal the mob. No one had to petition anything, no one cried. Guess the folks on Rallos and Sullon just knew how to get along better /shrug
Yep.

"oh, you're being a fuckhole? np, inc train"

Once a newt on SZ had bought a bard of my same faction and would use it to train fear and wipe our raid. We finally paid a goodie to come in and get rid of the bard. When bard gave up, we killed the goodie and got our money back. Thats hard core.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:35 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilbog [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yes, thank you for this. I was wondering if Erollisi Marr just happened to be more hardcore than some of the other PVE servers. That was my home from 99-04, and I had pretty much all of those experiences.

I was a paladin and usually the puller for my Lower Guk groups. Competition was insane because there were usually 40-50 people in the zone on dial up (scary). Sometimes trains were created by people trying to pull all the npcs they could back to their group, due to the amount of groups vs. exp mobs.

Watched a buddy get the "too many bags in a trade window" scam done to him, and his entire suit of rubicite stolen. Lead GM Uini said they were aware of the bug, but would not assist in any way.

Long before item links, and before the group system announced who looted what item, ninja looting was extreme. People could do a quick loot/right click/stand and steal pretty much anything without being noticed.

You could follow your rival guild, and when they engaged raid npcs, you could open trade windows to trade 1cp to all their healers. (Interrupted spells)

In short, emarr was gangsta, and petitions didn't happen often.
I do miss those E Marr days Nilbog. No one can bring them back, but you have gotten close my friend! <3 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Darklotus [60 Rogue]
Cranial [55 Necro]
Cheechx [52 Ranger]
Chongi [52 Mage]
Dreadlord [44 Shadowknight]
Old 10-07-2010, 07:49 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheech [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I do miss those E Marr days Nilbog. No one can bring them back, but you have gotten close my friend! <3 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Lol I can't tell if that was supposed to be nice or an insult. Wern't you all just talking about how d-baggy the GM's were on live? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
And take over your face
With the front of my Hatredcopter
Closed Thread