Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 11:33 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloine36 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
WoW used an engine that was not utilizing cutting edge graphic technology which made it possible to play the game on older PCs. EQ2 screwed up big time by going with an engine that was hard on older PCs if they were even able to play it. I think that's why EQ2 really lost out. Wow was not nearly as good as EQ2, but you didn't have to have a new PC with a top of the line 3D card and a ton of RAM to play it like you did EQ2.
EQ2 was full of bugs and couldn't develop fast enough to keep up with bliz. Also WoW's game engine scales very well with graphic settings. Very low can run on any PC but run everything on max and you will see a very beautiful game. Sony also rushed EQ2 but bliz delayed WoW a few times to polish every aspect of the game.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:58 AM
Fire Giant

i'll honestly say, that if you're looking for a WoW emu, vanilla style, therebirth.net is probably by far, the best. although the population has taken a hit because of other servers, this one still stands. they don't accept donations, so you know it isn't a potential donation scam, like scriptcraft was. i wouldn't be surprised if this new server coming up for WoW vanilla is run by the same guy.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:02 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jballe3 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i'll honestly say, that if you're looking for a WoW emu, vanilla style, therebirth.net is probably by far, the best. although the population has taken a hit because of other servers, this one still stands. they don't accept donations, so you know it isn't a potential donation scam, like scriptcraft was. i wouldn't be surprised if this new server coming up for WoW vanilla is run by the same guy.
I don't get why people like vanilla so much.. WoW has improved so much for the better since 2004.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:25 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawll [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't get why people like vanilla so much.. WoW has improved so much for the better since 2004.
It depends on what you would define as an improvement. Here are some reasons I like vanilla WoW better than the state of the game when I stopped, a little after Cataclysm launched.

1. The player base was better (in my opinion) in vanilla. A lot more former EQ players and just adults in general. As time progressed and things got easier you saw a bunch of couthless social inepts who lacked any ability to function with proper etiquette. Mainly because a person could progress to end game never learning basic MMO social skills.
2. PvP, prior to even the battlegrounds Open world PvP was random unscripted and fun. Also it wasn't just the cluser-f%$# of cooldowns it became, you actually needed strategies against other classes.
3. No automated dungeon finder tool. While the tool itself is awesome engineering, it really messed up the game. I had groups were we would do the daily random without anyone saying a word. MMOs are intended to be social , you meet and make friends with reliable tanks/healers/dps. They become some of your go to people when you are starting a group.
4 The ease of leveling increased. This ties back in with point 1, you get people who can't play their class and have no social skills because they got to end game without having to learn anything.
5. Changes to the talent system. The last one I was there for really irked me. Basically the system was dumbed down to force a player to allocate points with a high majority in one tree and maybe a few in another? I understand why they did it, to prevent people who did no research or had no understanding from distrubting points too wildly. However, this also prevented unique talent setups that allowed some players who knew what they were doing to excel.
5.5 Talents and meters. This is partly player and partly developer issues. The talent systems which once gave people the oppurtunity to make some varied choices basically became frowned upon as specific specs were detailed for maximizing effectiveness. Essentially you had to have a certain point distrubution or you had a stigma.
6. Catering to hybrids. This one really frustrated me as a mage. Palies and Deathknights doing max damgage on fights over rogues/mages was kind of ridiculous from a classical fantasy stand point. Unfortunately Bliz thought they would alienate poeple by limiting their hybrid classes from being able to top the charts in any role they wished to play. They failed to realize while they were trying to avoid penalizing people who played hybrids they were screwing pures who only had one function and became somewhat obsolete when they were outdone in their target role by people who could do the same function and more. The term for mages being "Sunwelled" comes to mind.
Some other toons
Formerly of TZ
Last edited by Atmas; 06-22-2012 at 12:27 PM..
Old 06-22-2012, 12:29 PM
Fire Giant

lawll, probably the same reason why you enjoy classic EQ over the 200 expansions that everquest has put out over the years [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

opinions are opinions.
Closed Thread