Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

View Poll Results: Should the P1999 Management have been harsher with the 365 cheaters
Yes 0 0%
No 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 06:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazortag [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
We can't really grasp how harsh the punishment is without seeing what it will be like in two weeks when everyone's unbanned. I bet a lot of them aren't coming back, and those that do will pretty quickly be outed when people realize they're X levels lower than they should be. The devs don't need to publicly shame anyone since the punishment pretty much already does that. Sure they can go /anon, but I'll know for example if Perun cheated when he suddenly cons blue to me (nothing against perun, just an example).

The only thing I'm concerned about is the punishment of resetting their plat to 0, only because it disproportionately punishes some people more than others for the same offense. If someone had 50k but spent it all before they got suspended then they'd get punished less than someone who had 50k but didn't spend it, which isn't fair.
they're given the opportunity to come back and that is already unfair. it's stupid and leaves a really really bad taste in a lot of people's mouths. as for people being "scared" of GMs and uthgaard -- don't be. i think uth has proven more than once that he's a total pussy when it comes to being harsh in controversial decisions that would potentially lead to drama, and mostly guild drama (though i don't think you can get any more clear cut than this), this, though, i'd imagine is a staff-wide decision and an incredibly shitty one at that.

on emulated servers where people don't pay to play there already are going to be higher incidents of players cheating and you have to be forceful and heavy-handed when dealing with these decisions to deter it from happening in the future. i'd be willing to bet, and judging by the names, quite a few of the people cheating are oldschool p99ers that have probably been doing it for a long time now. deleting their banked $$ and deleveling them to 54 isn't a punishment or even a slap on the wrist when they've gotten so many items from who knows how many SEQ'd trackers and raids or SEQ mapped dungeon darts to mobs. for the majority of people who don't play this game daily and don't have enough time to get those items and see these encounters, even knowing that these people who cheated there way there will be back in 2 weeks, doesn't matter under what conditions, is super fucking shitty. does the staff owe us anything? no. but at the moment they're not even backing their own server rules and having the balls to provide a relatively clean server by purging those that had to get any advantage that they possibly could. you don't exactly owe them anything either and right now the legit players just got a swift kick in the teeth because the staff decided to pussy out.
Last edited by Skope; 08-30-2011 at 06:07 PM..
Old 08-30-2011, 06:06 PM
Banned

Politics everywhere...
Old 08-30-2011, 06:14 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal-Elf [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Politics everywhere...
especially in not full banning
Old 08-30-2011, 06:19 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kope [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What about removing all dropable items on the suspended acounts above x amount of plat (say...10k? (Just an example)).

If they want back in the community at that point and to get their reserves/items back up they have to earn it with hard work.
The amount of work this would require would make it not worth the trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rere [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Management, sack up and execute your rules. 365 people? I'm pretty sure Uthgaard has banned more people on his "powertrip" in just the last half year.

On a serious note:

The fact that you show this kind of leniency only makes it look like some of your RL buddies were amongst the cheaters. Population has been fine even with the suspensions => Go Through with it and do your job.

I love how you guys talk to the GM's like they are your employee's, telling them what to do and that they aren't doing it right. They are providing you with this great server, they took the time out of their lives to catch these hackers and punish them, and they are the ones who get to decide what happens. I seriously doubt they enjoyed this whole process and were excited about this decision. I'm sure they put a lot of thought into it and only they have all the facts.

So maybe show a bit of fucking gratitude and thank them for the countless hours they put up with your bullshit. No matter what every decision has consequences and some people aren't going to agree. Look at the bigger picture this has stopped most of the hacking and will probably stop most of the future hacking. This is their punishment and it's probably enough to make a lot of them quit. So what if you don't know who they are, ignorance is bliss. Don't live out the rest of your EQ life in anger just move on and enjoy the good people on this server.

As far as the server population.. These people probably had other accounts that they are on.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:24 PM
Orc

what is this Salem, NC? They didn't just give a slap on the wrist, thats all their plat and deleveled toons.

Project 1999- Robabob
Old 08-30-2011, 06:26 PM
Sarnak

I may well be in the minority, but I 100% agree with Runningfish.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:06 PM
Sarnak

A server run purely for fun may well run for years. A server run purely for duty only stays up until those running it find better things to do with their time. Try to consider this the next time you trash talk GMs for not doing their duty.

We're fortunate they're as diligent as they are. It is no little trick to come up with the cheat detector they did. The amount of coding time sunk into that could instead have brought VP or epics into play sooner. They clearly consider the issue important enough to address.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:07 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runningfish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So maybe show a bit of fucking gratitude and thank them for the countless hours they put up with your bullshit. No matter what every decision has consequences and some people aren't going to agree.
Quite a few of us have been here since day one, and in countless threads have demonstrated our gratitude and thanks for the server. A lot of us have donated in the past, giving money to help with server costs. So get off the box, bro. I understand what you're saying, but...

What about the countless time , hours and effort a lot of us put in from day one...tracking, scouting, playing by the rules...and we find out that what we always suspected was justified?

How many of us eventually went on hiatus pretty much frustrated with the whole thing, but we still love the game and the server enough to stick around, thinking it will get better before Velious?

Yeah, it's a 12 year-old emulated game, but that doesn't change the fact that all of us are here because we love it, including the ones that break out with the "QQ over an 12 year-old game" BS.

Yeah, there are a lot of people pretty smoked about it all. I'm happy the Devs got them, yeah...but I'm pretty pissed a slap on the wrist is all they get. That's what their anonymity buys them, because this too, will pass...not to mention the fact that some of them are more than smart enough to figure out how to get around it with code injectors. For every anti-cheat, there are cheaters good enough to bust it.

And they'll still be here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirken View Post
if your reason to be here is to ruin other peoples experiences and grief them off the server, then not only do you not deserve the privilege of playing here, but i will remove your ability to do so.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:20 PM
Banned

They should of banned any guild that was cheating also, like TMO

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loly Taa
I dropped out of highscool cause I straight up was sick of going. I'm sure I'm not the only one here who made the same choice
Old 08-30-2011, 07:25 PM
Large Rat

Two friends were perma banned for two boxing level 5s with a new-to-eq friend.

But yeah this makes total sense.
Closed Thread