Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 12:12 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamz4l [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think the real question is, was that above pvp video of an instance, or open-world pvp?
It is all open world, the whole center of the world map is an open 3 faction PvP zone. There are also several dungeons which are open to anyone, similar to EQ dungeons.

I think it was easily worth the $64 I paid for it, but in a little more depth:

The world and graphics are well done, and will probably grow on you the more you play.

The limited(5 + ultimate on each weapon) hotkey bar setup reminds me a lot of EQ, where you will probably be required to adapt and switch abilities on the fly. IMO it is a good thing, but it seems to be a point of contention for a lot of people.

PvP diversity is evolving. Currently basically everyone is running bow it seems, but new and effective builds are popping up more often now. So far it seems like there will be real diversity in veteran rank PvP.

Combat itself is odd. Getting a block or interrupt stun, and following it with a heavy attack knockdown I feel really connected to my little avatar. Getting charged and dodge rolling with a CC follow up of my own, again, feels very connected. On the flip side, in PvE you will sometimes catch a beat down from steady damage with no identifiable animation. I think that is probably aimed at preventing players with good reflexes from being able to just solo everything. In PvP, it is pretty annoying to lose 30% or more of your health from an arrow from some random hidden guy, which you can't really prevent either.

On that note, I really hate the stealth mechanics in ESO. If your group sees another group, everyone immediately hides. So far it feels like that takes away from positioning and adds a luck-of-detection factor, but it also may be something that I will learn to counter as I play.

When I stopped expecting for it to be like other games, I really started to enjoy it. Explore around, learn some new stuff, and support the development of open world, PvP centric games for a trivial amount of cash. I'll also add that leveling zones are packed with players, so there is a lot going on in the game.
Old 04-20-2014, 11:48 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by compulsion [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It is all open world, the whole center of the world map is an open 3 faction PvP zone. There are also several dungeons which are open to anyone, similar to EQ dungeons.

The world and graphics are well done, and will probably grow on you the more you play.

The limited(5 + ultimate on each weapon) hotkey bar setup reminds me a lot of EQ, where you will probably be required to adapt and switch abilities on the fly. IMO it is a good thing, but it seems to be a point of contention for a lot of people.

PvP diversity is evolving. Currently basically everyone is running bow it seems, but new and effective builds are popping up more often now. So far it seems like there will be real diversity in veteran rank PvP.

Combat itself is odd. Getting a block or interrupt stun, and following it with a heavy attack knockdown I feel really connected to my little avatar. Getting charged and dodge rolling with a CC follow up of my own, again, feels very connected. On the flip side, in PvE you will sometimes catch a beat down from steady damage with no identifiable animation. I think that is probably aimed at preventing players with good reflexes from being able to just solo everything. In PvP, it is pretty annoying to lose 30% or more of your health from an arrow from some random hidden guy, which you can't really prevent either.

On that note, I really hate the stealth mechanics in ESO. If your group sees another group, everyone immediately hides. So far it feels like that takes away from positioning and adds a luck-of-detection factor, but it also may be something that I will learn to counter as I play.

When I stopped expecting for it to be like other games, I really started to enjoy it. Explore around, learn some new stuff, and support the development of open world, PvP centric games for a trivial amount of cash. I'll also add that leveling zones are packed with players, so there is a lot going on in the game.
+1 for good and informative post, I would have done this my self, but you know, wayyy too lazy for that.

BLUE
46 Warrior - Elkantor, 35 Shadowknight - Geldriia, 46 Enchanter - Shebreeze
Old 04-21-2014, 12:42 PM
Planar Protector

Anyone playing eso beta on ps4 yet pm me. I didnt play pc beta or launch but I just got a ps4 while food shopping and wondering how it is on ps4.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:01 PM
Sarnak

i heard this release was going very very poorly

anyone on the inside can comment?
Old 04-21-2014, 01:05 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magikarp [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

It depends on what megashard you're on. Currently the NA launch is going pretty smooth if you don't care about economy at all, dupe bugs that were found during closed beta test were not fixed and they made it into the release so for weeks people have been duping massive amounts of high end materials and other nonsense. After the first duping bug was fixed because of some faulty programming with the guild bank system, a second one popped up where you could alt-f4 when logging in if you had a mail sent to you from one of your hireling guys it would send you another mail. So you could get a bunch of those mails basically creating free items again.

The European megashard has the same issues except they are being plagued by a bug that is not letting them get past level 50. The level 50 quest that leads you into the ranked part of the game (basically 10 more levels) was messed up for them. I'm not sure if it is fixed yet. Also, I hear that right now PVP is a bit wonky over there on some of the shards due to the vampire ultimate being a little overpowered when you're the emperor.

It's an okay launch, but not stellar.

Edit: Also, because there is no central auction house the economy hasn't really taken that huge of a hit or anything, there's just a lot of extra shit. The gold farmers were able to dupe massive amounts of the highest level soul gems though and sell them for a lot of gold.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:17 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magikarp [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Not a flawless release. I'd say lag and server downtime have been better than most releases, but there are other issues. There was a duping exploit/glitch that allowed people to stockpile massive amounts of epic/legendary crafting mats and siege equipment. The issue was reported in beta and ZOS did nothing until the issue blew up in reddit/youtube.

During the first few days people experienced rollbacks in certain zones, but it was fixed. Server stability/bugginess are in a pretty good place currently.

Right now the endgame consists of the following:

You reach Veteran Rank 1, at which point you do the recycled quests of the other factions (Like if you got lvl 50 Horde on WoW, levels became 10x slower, and you did 50-60 as an alliance from the beginning, scaled to your level). 'Veteran Dungeons' are the same dungeons you did leveling up, except each boss has been given several harsh wipe mechanics and everything has been retuned for VR5. Or you can keep doing cyrodil. You gain negligible experience there and don't really advance your VR while pvp-ing.

Sometime near the end of April they are adding end-game content, a single adventure zone called 'Craglorn' where you can do quests and dungeons scaled to your group.

If you don't like questing, or got sick of it by the time you were VR1, you're in for a rough ride getting to VR10
Old 04-22-2014, 11:13 AM
Sarnak

@QuantumZebra

Character: Daedalus Cen'tauri - 20 Dragon Knight

Ebonheart Pact

FYI we reformed The New Blood (Fennin Ro guild) on ESO so message me to join us!
Old 04-22-2014, 11:21 AM
Sarnak

Quote:

Playing on NA megaserver - favorite MMO since vanilla WoW / EQ, hands down... and I've played pretty much every big MMO since EQ.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:16 PM
Sarnak

Quote:

Not too bad. The first week there were problems with crashing and long loading screens, but that seems to have been fixed. Every once in a while I'll sit for 2-3 mins loading, but usually it's 20 sec at most. I'll add that even at it's worst, the game was still very playable, just frustrating at times.

Zenimax did find and fix the dupe bugs, as well as temporarily suspend accounts that were found to have abused them. Of course, during all of this, several photoshopped screenshots were posted to various forums to make the problem look way bigger than it really was.

It was an average to above average release. Trolls of course want to make it seem terrible, and I can see people with shitty machines having problems, but the game was never unplayable.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:41 PM
VIP / Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by compulsion [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

i agree with everything u just said. would also add, i'd bet money most of the people who dont like eso are the same people that click through the quests, and just try to min/max while racing to the end.

Sirken's Twitch Stream - www.twitch.tv/sirken_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uthgaard View Post
Accusing me of simultaneous favoritism for two opposing guilds involves a special kind of stupid
Quote:
Originally Posted by karsten View Post
going after sirken is like going to a cheerleader convention and punching the only one that bothered to talk to you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogean View Post
I've met Sirken IRL.. he ain't jelly of shit

Closed Thread