Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 05:35 PM
Planar Protector

Way too many negatives to list here, check their forums if you want up-to-date specifics.

I played there with some friends when it just came up for about 2 weeks, and just to give you a few examples; Midgard would freeze up entirely, meaning no mobs would spawn, no guards would spawn in keeps, Relics were taken by the enemies without any resistance whatsoever.

When it would UNfreeze, the GMs just let it go on as is, instead of doing a rollback or trying to balance things out. The bgs were completely inactive, because of an XP zerg bug which allowed for uncapped XP, everyone and their grandmas skipped all the content entirely just to get 50 in a couple of days tops, resulting in being 50 with no gear, so you can't pve OR rvr for that matter.

Basically any bugs they would fix, they would let the players who took massive advantage of them keep all their gains.
DAOC Class Descriptions by Crith (for all 3 realms, with some comparisons to EQ classes)
DAOC: Uthgard Revamp (old thread with some useful info)
"Sometimes a Majority means, that most fools are on the same side"
Old 04-11-2014, 09:22 AM
Fire Giant

I made a toon on Genesis. Alb scout. Got to 44 and Leirvik in less than a week.

The server does have issues....Right now it's mostly lack of population due to the newness wearing off and ESO release IMO. Most of what people were bitching about in the first month or two has been fixed, tho. Still some bugs, key ones for some classes, and they still have to reset the server from time to time. The exp hauls in groups but is a joke unless you have a full group...forget about solo....combined with the pop issues that's the only real sticking point for me. But all in all, getting to get your DAoC on without having to go back to live and pay for it it's pretty cool. If you like the game, it's definately worth checking out, IMO. No problems logging in now and most of the major problems from early on have been fixed.

As far as Uthgard...As I've mentioned earlier in the thread, I'm down for playing Alb or Hib, but don't care for mid personally. Classes I like...

Alb...Infi, Scout, Minst, Cleric, Merc....Necro or Pally for PvE depending on my mood.

Hib...Bard, Hero, Ranger....Druid could be fun.

I'm up for just about anything...I tend to go for stealthers, bard types, tanks and healers depending on my mood. Which usually leans towards stealthers but it varies. I've never been one for robed casters, is all.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:51 AM
Planar Protector

We'll definitely need a good Bard if we go Hib, and Minstrel if Alb, we'll probably need a Sorceror too, I might fill those shoes again, we'll see. You know one of the rarest things on a server like Uthgard, is seeing a unique spec, like Nature speced Druids for instance, with their instant roots and ae roots, would be great to have against those Midgard melee assist trains!

One of the biggest issues 'Genesis' had was overpopulation during it's first month, it was very hard to login successfully 24/7, not just during prime time. They didn't have any queue system either, so you had to try loggin in like 20 times in a row just to get in.

Some people would just login during off-times, and leave their accounts at char select, so they'd reserve their spot without even playing the game, whole thing was silly for a long while - made alot of people say "screw it."
DAOC Class Descriptions by Crith (for all 3 realms, with some comparisons to EQ classes)
Old 04-11-2014, 06:35 PM
Fire Giant

I'm all about non-standard specs if they work for something. Still have to have your bases covered, tho. Tank, heals/buffs, DPS, and CC are still required.

Nice thing is the 8 man group. Gives you a lot of leeway with extras.
Old 04-13-2014, 03:10 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekapaug [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm all about non-standard specs if they work for something. Still have to have your bases covered, tho. Tank, heals/buffs, DPS, and CC are still required.

Nice thing is the 8 man group. Gives you a lot of leeway with extras.
Yea, I like 8 man groups too, but I like small 4-5 man groups even more! It kind of always keeps you on the edge, and makes you a better player imo - since you have to improvise for not having all the "bases" covered, like most 8-man groups would.

The last guild I ran in Hibernia on Uthgard in 2012, well before I made it work, I tried playing with some P99ers from these forums, and it fell apart by the first RvR BG zone unfortunately, due to the drama I tried very hard to avoid, but some things in life are just unavoidable no matter how much you try.

So, after we went our separate ways, me and a friend from DAoC, who was playing with us, kept going just to see what would happen. He played a valewalker, and I played a Spearo Hero! We did ok with pickup groups, but realized very quickly that we'd need a good bard, so he got his friend to play again, and we've quickly risen to the top.

By the time we were 39 (4 lvls into the next BG,) we were already about 2L5+, and a very good reputation, people always wanted to be in our groups, despite us not having that much in the way of gear or classes, just good teamwork. A couple levels later, our guild grew through the players who grouped with us on a constant basis, and proved themselves to be decent level-headed players, they weren't exactly the best, but they were good enough to run with us cause we didn't make them work very hard - especially since I was being main assist (yes, as a Hero!,) we never had any problems fighting other groups.

One of the silliest things about the Euro players on Uthgard, is that they consider certain classes to be limited to certain "jobs and duties" within a group. Like only the Light Tanks (Blademasters,Mercenaries,Berserkers) should be Main Assists, and no one else! Or that only the pure tanks (Heroes,Armsmen,Warriors) should be peeling enemies off of healers. I prefer a much more open-minded effort, out of the box so to speak, and I try to find and group with like-minded individuals, most of the time.

So the guild grew from a 2-man cell at L35, to a full 8-man group by L42 with this kind of setup: Hero, Valewalker, Bard, Blademaster, Blademaster, Hero, Druid, Bard. I remained the Main-Assist despite us having the 2 BMs, just because I could spot enemy targets (and who they are) faster than anyone else in the group. That's how I think jobs should be divided, by how well a player can handle it, as opposed to just because their class falls into the category.

Because I've grouped with so many other Blademasters while I was playing the Hero, they'd always pick the wrong targets, and refused to assist me just because I was a Hero and not another BM. It was ugly, to keep wiping to an enemy group, just because of the stupidity of some of the players I had to group with, when the guild mates weren't around.
Old 04-15-2014, 03:32 AM
Planar Protector

Btw, I neglected to ask, what time zones are you all in? I'm on EST.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:40 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrooge [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Btw, I neglected to ask, what time zones are you all in? I'm on EST.
PST here. Play times for the most part will vary due to real life. Normally can do 1pm to 10pm, other times roughly 4pm to 10pm, weekends are a bit iffy, but can probably expect 8am to 10pm, however 8am to noon shouldn't be a problem. My main focus when appropriate level though is going to end up being battlegrounds. I'll be bringing my brother along to play also and he is mostly a weekend player. He can stay up late
Old 04-17-2014, 04:48 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingme [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
PST here. Play times for the most part will vary due to real life. Normally can do 1pm to 10pm, other times roughly 4pm to 10pm, weekends are a bit iffy, but can probably expect 8am to 10pm, however 8am to noon shouldn't be a problem. My main focus when appropriate level though is going to end up being battlegrounds. I'll be bringing my brother along to play also and he is mostly a weekend player. He can stay up late
I personally make it a point to RP cap every BG on the way up the ladder, so we'll be spending alot of time in the BGs, as much as they will allow!

The BGs have some decent XP spots too, so even if action dies down some, we can stay in the zone and XP until it picks up again.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:45 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrooge [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Is there anyone here reading these posts, who feels comfortable in the shoes of a Healer type, or a main Crowd Control type of class? It's not a requirement, but will certainly make things much easier for leveling and mid-lvl RvR.
In EQ I played Enchanter LIVE and Cleric P99. I don't think I would mind either of these roles. But I really need to get familiar with the classes again and how they work on DAoC. Maybe I should check out that Gensis server or something in my off time.
Tander - 55th Half Elf Bard

The Mystical Order || See what I'm Selling/Buying || Nagrith's JBoots MQ Service
Old 04-23-2014, 12:10 PM
Sarnak

I play a bard here, and healed in a hardcore raid situation in WoW up to the current expansion sans Siege of Orgrimmar, so whatever role Lyrith doesn't go for, I could.
Closed Thread