Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 11:59 PM
Kobold

I thought PoP raiding was top notch, much better than almost any expansion outside of velious.

PoK on the other hand, no thx.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:10 AM
Banned

PoP was the best "raiding" expansion of any game ever. If you were a hardcore raider in eq this was your expansion.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:21 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubbz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
PoP was the best "raiding" expansion of any game ever. If you were a hardcore raider in eq this was your expansion.
It was pretty good, but the mechanics were still rather simplistic. It was a step up from the previous expansions, but it was still 90% tank and spank with a few adds or ae mixed in. Demiplane comes to mind as a raid zone that had unique and fun fights.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:26 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orruar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It was pretty good, but the mechanics were still rather simplistic. It was a step up from the previous expansions, but it was still 90% tank and spank with a few adds or ae mixed in. Demiplane comes to mind as a raid zone that had unique and fun fights.
Keep in mind that raiding was very much in it's infancy as something attainable by a large number of players even when PoP came out.

As more people were able to raid, the fights had to become more complex because more tools also became available to the raiders.

Remember when the first complete heal rotation was done on a boss fight? It more or less trivialized keeping the tank up so they had to introduce new mechanics to kill the tank.

Very much a race between developers finding new ways to keep players interested and the players being able to figure out mechanics and strategies to complete the raids in less time.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:47 AM
Sarnak

Send a message via Yahoo to Dragonmist

I noticed a major decline in population around 2006 before that it was still fairly healthy
Old 04-16-2014, 12:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orruar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not sure if this was a serious post or not but pop was far from tank and spank.
Fights like Magnetic Behemoth, Terris Thule, Rallos Zek, all required strategy and there are many many more fights that i could list. Now if you did content a few expansions down the road sure, your obviously overgeared enough you can spank and tank it but dont dare say it was spank and tank because it was far from that.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:10 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubbz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Fights like Magnetic Behemoth, Terris Thule, Rallos Zek, all required strategy and there are many many more fights that i could list. Now if you did content a few expansions down the road sure, your obviously overgeared enough you can spank and tank it but dont dare say it was spank and tank because it was far from that.
I would agree.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:26 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
I agree as well, I actually happened to play during that era, along with a progressive guild which was the first to obtain Time keys, and raid Plane of Time itself. Especially places with final encounters like Plane of Earth (and B,) it took alot of effort to initially raid those kinds of places.

Especially because there weren't any existing strats for places like that, known to the public's eyes. People often take things for granted, because there's plenty of info on every encounter already - take your pick. There aren't that many players around anymore, who actually invent new strats and tactics on the fly, it's not so common these days.
DAOC Class Descriptions by Crith (for all 3 realms, with some comparisons to EQ classes)
DAOC: Uthgard Revamp (old thread with some useful info)
"Sometimes a Majority means, that most fools are on the same side"
Old 04-16-2014, 08:27 AM
Planar Protector

No, Orruar is more correct. Subs were still rising until 2005.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:10 AM
Banned

Would like to see this FV style with trivial loot code and drops. Server resets and fast EXP/GM handouts/corruption bad though. Thats the prob with 90% EMUs. At least Project1999 makes the majority of players earn their stuff.
Closed Thread