Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 03:31 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Oasis regularly has at least one group.
Old 04-20-2014, 02:21 AM
Fire Giant

bump, great resource for new players. Pras Uberbandit, King of Crushbone.
Songs are being sung from every bard,
His passion is back and the fire burns,
With fear and renown, Norrath whispers: Uthgaard
Old 04-21-2014, 04:24 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Sorry for reposting these questions, but I haven't really had sufficient answers for them:

1)I'm trying to level my Ogre Warrior, but I've noticed that his attacks barely ever hit. I remedied this problem by putting points into Agility, which surprisingly, made him miss his attacks less often. Wouldn't this gimp my character, or is it perfectly fine?

2)I want to see my Options menu to the Escape button on my keyboard, instead of Alt+O, but the Escape button clears the hotkey that I try to put. Is there some way of setting my Options menu to Escape?
Old 04-21-2014, 05:02 AM
Sarnak

Don't apologize, EQ's game mechanics are pretty confusing when you peel away the layers.

The general consensus is to not think of hitting a mob as a chance to actually connect. In fact, you connect every single time but if you aren't seeing a lot of damage output it's because you are hitting for 0. Your strength and weapon skill boost your ATK, which in turn determines your ability to penetrate your target's AC and how much damage you do when you penetrate it. Obviously, higher is better.

In other words, agility has theoretically nothing to do with it, but your strength and weapon skill do.

Edit: Source: Discussion here about to hit chances. I guess the whole subject is still debatable, but this seems to be the most logical answer based on limited legitimate study and observation.
http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=40456

As to your second question, I don't know if there actually is a way to bind the Esc key to something other than its default. I conducted a brief google search and couldn't find anything to shed light on the situation after the first page. You may have to dig deeper yourself for a concrete answer.

Ingrum Irontoe
Retired Warlord of Brell
"Yeah, I'm kind of a big deal..."
Last edited by Ingrum; 04-21-2014 at 05:14 AM..
Old 04-21-2014, 05:22 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingrum [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Don't apologize, EQ's game mechanics are pretty confusing when you peel away the layers.

The general consensus is to not think of hitting a mob as a chance to actually connect. In fact, you connect every single time but if you aren't seeing a lot of damage output it's because you are hitting for 0. Your strength and weapon skill boost your ATK, which in turn determines your ability to penetrate your target's AC and how much damage you do when you penetrate it. Obviously, higher is better.

In other words, agility has theoretically nothing to do with it, but your strength and weapon skill do.

Edit: Source: Discussion here about to hit chances. I guess the whole subject is still debatable, but this seems to be the most logical answer based on limited legitimate study and observation.
http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=40456

As to your second question, I don't know if there actually is a way to bind the Esc key to something other than its default. I conducted a brief google search and couldn't find anything to shed light on the situation after the first page. You may have to dig deeper yourself for a concrete answer.
I know that Agility theoretically has nothing to do with it, but this is why I'm so baffled. I swear, the moment I put all my starting points into Agility, my character randomly started doing more damage per attack. Maybe it was just a mere coincidence.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:57 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raisen223 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I know that Agility theoretically has nothing to do with it, but this is why I'm so baffled. I swear, the moment I put all my starting points into Agility, my character randomly started doing more damage per attack. Maybe it was just a mere coincidence.
Or confirmation bias. Without a parse, it's all conjecture.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:54 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raisen223 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sorry for reposting these questions, but I haven't really had sufficient answers for them:

1)I'm trying to level my Ogre Warrior, but I've noticed that his attacks barely ever hit. I remedied this problem by putting points into Agility, which surprisingly, made him miss his attacks less often. Wouldn't this gimp my character, or is it perfectly fine?

2)I want to see my Options menu to the Escape button on my keyboard, instead of Alt+O, but the Escape button clears the hotkey that I try to put. Is there some way of setting my Options menu to Escape?
As others have said, agility shouldn't impact your hit rate. Now as far as the gimping, really as an ogre it is hard to go wrong with your stats. You already have immense str and stam, so really dex for double hits and maybe agi if you have nothing better (or have capped other stats). Don't underestimate how good +hp items are either, at low levels they are incredibly more efficient than extra stamina.

For the esc hotkey for options, you could technically use some software to remap your keys, but doing much more with it walks a very fine line in the rules here. To quote Rogean's post

"We do not tolerate cheating on Project 1999. Any program that provides an unintended advantage or gleams access to information not otherwise available is very strictly prohibited. Please be aware that while other EQEmulator servers may allow the use of such programs, we do not. We have many systems in place to detect the presence and usage of these programs passively, with regular sweeps to purge users that have utilized them. This is typically a permanent ban."

I myself wouldn't see the rebind as an unintended advantage, but I would advise caution with what program you use. If it has purposes beyond rebinding (botting scripts, etc) it may not be the best idea. All of this is assuming the hotkey is a big deal to you, though honestly how often do you bring up the options menu?
Old 04-21-2014, 10:39 PM
Orc

hi folks

I have loaded up the duxa ui and it looks good ... what i can't figure out is how to change the options in game

namely ... no buff window is showing and I want to turn it on

what ingame options commands are there ... can't seem to find it anywhere

sorry for the newb question

Cheers
Old 04-21-2014, 11:24 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigskin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
hi folks

I have loaded up the duxa ui and it looks good ... what i can't figure out is how to change the options in game

namely ... no buff window is showing and I want to turn it on

what ingame options commands are there ... can't seem to find it anywhere

sorry for the newb question

Cheers
Hey there. I believe that if you press Alt + W in-game it will bring up a little toolbar that allows you turn on and off a bunch of your UI windows.

Ingrum Irontoe
Retired Warlord of Brell
"Yeah, I'm kind of a big deal..."
Old 04-21-2014, 11:27 PM
Planar Protector

great thread!