Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 11:52 AM
Kobold

Question Naming policy a joke?

I was just wandering around the forums when I noticed a thread for funny names, which reminded me that I actually really didn't like the fact that after reading the server rules before logging in for the first time, half of the names were ridiculous or at least not at all following the guidelines set when I finally was in-game.

http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2651 clearly states in section 3 (and goes into great detail) how basically all names should be original and based in a fantasy genre. It states that any names that are copyrighted or trademarked, or are phrases or would make a phrase when read the right way (like Crymea River) or names that wouldn't fit in the Genre (Switchblade, Cannabis) were not allowed. I'm wondering if that changed at some point? Or is it just that it would be a huge pain to fix? Is it that the GM's don't care or they have their own funny named characters they don't want to delete?

Personally I would like to see all of those names removed, mostly because it would make the feel of the game much more authentic, but also because grouping with someone who is named Quit Everquest is just plain ridiculous. Also the basic rules that are set down should be followed or at the very least attempted.

Let me know your thoughts! Is this something that also annoys you? would you like to see it changed?
Old 04-10-2014, 11:53 AM
Orc

Crymea River
Old 04-10-2014, 11:57 AM
Planar Protector

Definitely would like to see some names removed.

A ranger named Cums in Blackburrow was pretty ridiculous...

But at this point going back and removing non-Fantasy names would be pretty time intensive and cause lots of drama.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:00 PM
Sarnak

Bugs the hell out of me.

We've had these threads before. Most people don't care.

yeah, it would be time intensive. That being said, if they put out a call for a Naming enforcement GM/guide, I'm sure they'd get apps.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:01 PM
Planar Protector

basically - the staff never bothered to enforce this particular policy unless the name was truly offensive.

If you played Shards of Dalaya server (or just read their forums) you would know how much effort they put into keeping names "clean" [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

[Zuranthium;1453395]
The people who invented the first space ships were brilliant. That doesn't mean anybody should actually want to use them 200 years later. Ideas are limited by means of execution. Everquest has amazing ideas that need to be completely reworked in their execution, in order for classic Everquest as it was envisioned to actually exist and continue to be relevant as things have evolved.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:03 PM
Developer

There should be some check that rejects inappropriate names containing certain words during character creation.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:04 PM
Planar Protector

This is classic. Policy basically says rp names only, rule is only enforced for offensive names based on complaints. Basically just like live in 99-01
Old 04-10-2014, 12:04 PM
Fire Giant

Send a message via AIM to Laugher

I have seen names changed on the basis that they are offensive

I'm talking about you Sascrotch [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] aka now Zorch lol.

During my first few months back here last yr I asked about in Sirken's stream, and I think that the naming policy is in place because if the staff (or players) are offended they are justified in their right to change or report something to be changed.

My main on blue is an obvious offender; I asked in stream because on live within my first week of playing my named was changed from "freddimercury" to "Gwao".. it was never the same haha
Last edited by Laugher; 04-10-2014 at 12:16 PM..
Old 04-10-2014, 12:10 PM
Developer

I remember on live a GM changing Toocutetocare to Tucare because somebody felt insecure.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:10 PM
Orc

The creative or play on words type names don't bother me, but I do find it strange that there is no filter on character creation naming.

The "get name" generator thing is also busted, sometimes it suggests one or two letter names, and sometimes they're just gibberish, like strings of vowels or consonants. I vaguely recall when you used get name on live it would be kinda tailored to the race you were making, like wood elves would get different kinds of names than ogres or trolls.
Closed Thread