Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 02:24 AM
Planar Protector

Late 30s I found a good level strat for wizard was to facetanknukespam the twospawn gnolls in south karana. It's an opportunity to max defence before mobs start hitting for crazy dps.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:47 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Late 30s I found a good level strat for wizard was to facetanknukespam the twospawn gnolls in south karana. It's an opportunity to max defence before mobs start hitting for crazy dps.
Yeah, I will end up needing to find a way to work my defense up. Questing has gimped my defense.

I was thinking of finding some low lvl XP mobs grab a regen and just melee stuff. Probably need to do soon before mobs start hitting crazy hard, my wiz is 25 atm.
Old 07-06-2017, 08:10 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexenu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Wizard quadding is faster but more dangerous than Druid quadding. Faster in that you can insta-cast to pull with the Flux staff and more quickly gather mobs together since they aren't snared; more dangerous in that you have less room for error with 4 unsnared mobs chasing you before you cast your snare. It's also a pain when you get one resist out of the group and have to individually snare it then regroup them all together.

Wizards are incredibly one-dimensional and boring to play, and I say that as someone who prefers a more laid-back playstyle. They truly take laid-back to the next level. It's more like a comatose playstyle. And no one wants to group with you, ever. Any group you get will either be a result of pity or ignorance, because you cannot ever carry your own weight. You can quad a Wizard up to the low 50's pretty easily, but beyond that it really is going to be a slog now that Chardok AOE is no longer a thing. And for what? If you don't want to raid, what's the point? The most useful thing you can do with a 50+ non-raiding Wizard is to park him in EC and port/TL people.

If you want a low-stress caster I'd recommend trying a Mage at least up to level 12 or so before going all-in with the Wizard. They're also a very laid-back class, but they have the added benefit of actually being useful in groups and capable of farming plat/items.

If you are truly dead-set on the Wizard the most important key to success is having strong Alt-Tab skills and something else to work on during downtime.
I worried a bit about this, maybe wizard is unable to camp high end items etc. But I figure I can play other chars for that, like my chanter I am leveling a chanter now too.

Basically I switch from alt to alt to alt, I got two 55s and a bunch of 25-49s now.

Wizard is the last class I have not meddled with at all on p99.

I actually tried a mage got stuck at 35 lvl on him, for over 2 years so deleted him. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Closed Thread