Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 06:33 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanknspank [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Of course, but what if you had 1 spot and to chose between equally skilled ranger or rogue?
The problem with rogues is they have very little control over their environment. My situational awareness has gone way up since I've become a ranger. I just scream in my head watching other root CC classes and tanks just be terrible, all the while helpless to do anything but assist the tank who's targeting the enc's pet.

WTS alot of resist gear. WTB alot of root nets. PST.
Old 07-13-2014, 01:03 PM
Sarnak

there is alot of ranger bashing on this server but also alot of the rangers here are probably not so great. I've got a lvl 40 ranger and she's pretty twinked (RBB, JBoM, will have EoN soon), so even without casting spells I frequently pull aggro just by my DPS, which is akin to a rogue without the backstabs. A good ranger is highly valuable though. The main reason is the efficiency that they can create in terms of easily killing mobs and and controlling the situation. Root-parking adds is sooo good. You can set up a chain of mobs to be killed and you can tank them long enough to root them all. They also have harmony, one of the best spells in the game. Just having those 2 spells makes a formidable character because you have the ability to control the flow of xp in a safe manner. A proper ranger knows how to chain pull effectively as well. Yes, they are better in outdoor zones because that 200 range bow with 150 range arrows means I can shoot anything in sight. However, even in indoor zones, a good ranger knows how to bring the next mob/mobs just as the previous one is about to die.

Rangers are NOT tanks though. Idk why people think they need to tank on a ranger... if you're the MT, something's wrong. Rangers are just barely better tanks than rogues. Rangers do, however, make EXCELLENT off-tanks and interceptors. Ranger healing is the worst in the game, but at level 40, my 100 point heal can still save an enchanter, if my roots didn't already save them. You know how many enchanters use AOE mezz? Way too many. Eventually they get greater healing too which is nice.

But let's say there's a monk in the group and the monk wants to pull... Perfect. Ranger now gets to focus on DPS and rooting adds. Also, if the ranger doesnt have to pull, they get to sit between killing. Which means there is healing going on between pulls, which helps caster mana. Worst case scenario is that the ranger heals a shaman while they canni.

Ranger is just a niche class that can also be a little versatile. Let's not forget that they are also really fun to play. I won't encourage people to make rangers however, especially not new players. Because of the perception on this server towards hybrids, you really need to be twinked and competent for people to want you in their groups.
Old 07-13-2014, 01:20 PM
Planar Protector

Rangers tank fine.
Old 07-13-2014, 01:29 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erectus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
there is alot of ranger bashing on this server but also alot of the rangers here are probably not so great. I've got a lvl 40 ranger and she's pretty twinked (RBB, JBoM, will have EoN soon), so even without casting spells I frequently pull aggro just by my DPS, which is akin to a rogue without the backstabs. A good ranger is highly valuable though. The main reason is the efficiency that they can create in terms of easily killing mobs and and controlling the situation. Root-parking adds is sooo good. You can set up a chain of mobs to be killed and you can tank them long enough to root them all. They also have harmony, one of the best spells in the game. Just having those 2 spells makes a formidable character because you have the ability to control the flow of xp in a safe manner. A proper ranger knows how to chain pull effectively as well. Yes, they are better in outdoor zones because that 200 range bow with 150 range arrows means I can shoot anything in sight. However, even in indoor zones, a good ranger knows how to bring the next mob/mobs just as the previous one is about to die.

Rangers are NOT tanks though. Idk why people think they need to tank on a ranger... if you're the MT, something's wrong. Rangers are just barely better tanks than rogues. Rangers do, however, make EXCELLENT off-tanks and interceptors. Ranger healing is the worst in the game, but at level 40, my 100 point heal can still save an enchanter, if my roots didn't already save them. You know how many enchanters use AOE mezz? Way too many. Eventually they get greater healing too which is nice.

But let's say there's a monk in the group and the monk wants to pull... Perfect. Ranger now gets to focus on DPS and rooting adds. Also, if the ranger doesnt have to pull, they get to sit between killing. Which means there is healing going on between pulls, which helps caster mana. Worst case scenario is that the ranger heals a shaman while they canni.

Ranger is just a niche class that can also be a little versatile. Let's not forget that they are also really fun to play. I won't encourage people to make rangers however, especially not new players. Because of the perception on this server towards hybrids, you really need to be twinked and competent for people to want you in their groups.
This is why I couldn't be an English Teacher.
Old 07-13-2014, 01:38 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecily [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is why I couldn't be an English Teacher.
This is why I generally avoid these forums.
Old 07-13-2014, 01:43 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by webrunner5 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you silly Bastards are worried about who is in your F'ing group well don't F'ing group. What in the hell do you have else to do?? Christ this IS a damn game. There are real people on the other end of these toons. If you need to min max that much just go the hell away. God damn, the more I play on here the more I think half the people on here are just total dick heads. Get over it. Play nice and have fun, not be some total ass hole. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Who gives a rats ass what class you are and what gear you have. It doesn't matter. Try to be the best player in your class and help others out. Play the god damn game to play the game.
^

Not every class can solo which translates to not every class is able to play the game whenever they want to. We're all in this together and generosity/friendship goes a long way in this game. If I have a group doing fine with tank, chanter, healer, dps and I see a shadowknight LFG for more than one two /oocs, I'll invite them. The tiny bit of lost experience isn't worth watching someone sitting on their ass, waiting to play when they could be chilling with us. I also take solace in that exp is never wasted, it all gets allocated to someone's definitive, necessary number of experience points for 1 to 60.

That being said, in the few times that I've invited people to groups when we were doing just fine without them and the next time they wouldn't invite me because their camp was down fine as is. Fuck those people. However, most of the time people return the favor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daywolf [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Problem is ranger is a class, not a player. While I have nothing against the class, even played ranger the first six years of live, I do have problems with players that cant play the class properly in a group, which from my cleric character perspective (the other I usually play) is typically many ranger players.

It's a very difficult class to play in proper groups. Small out-door roaming groups they are great, but go to KC or some such place, it can be a different play style and not all players adapt well to that. Then you wind up with a ninja looting heal sucking know-it-all wannabe tank player slowing everyone up while casters have no one protecting their casts because the ranger is trying too hard to out-aggro tanks and not paying attention to the situation.

Rangers starting groups don't solve the problem either, at least not for indoor groups, just means a group not to join because then you know the ranger has a poor rep and cant get a group unless they try to start one. Good group rangers, yeah they have quite a value, but unfortunately that's just not the norm. I don't play a ranger here apart from a gfay bound ranger (for low-lvl fun), but on live I never had problems getting into any groups based on rep. A good ranger learns how to protect the space between the tank and the casters, and will build your rep to get asked to join groups.
This post surprised me since nearly every ranger I've grouped with played wonderfully. Probably based on "fat chicks give better blow jobs because they have to" logic and also since on a server of people who've been playing this game for 15 years, everyone knows rangers aren't optimal, so people usually don't pursue the class unless they know what they're getting into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanknspank [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Of course, but what if you had 1 spot and to chose between equally skilled ranger or rogue?
I'd take the rogue, unless the ranger had been LFG for at least 5 minutes before the rogue.
Old 07-13-2014, 03:59 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not all of us can afford Chardok AE group spots [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Quote:
So just borrow a 60 enc / clr / factioned puller / wiz?
Heallun you sound like those out-of-touch 1%er who were born rich lol.

"Well it's not hard, sell one of your companies, divert your stock into a secondary split and initiate a take-over on your competitor, you then use the remaining dividends to buy your private jet, it's really not complicated [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.][You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.][You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]"

As for the subject at hand:

The quality of the player is more important than the class they play. Levelling in EQ is like a road trip. It's gonna be long and often boring, so i'd rather do a road trip with friends in an old clunker than being in a mercedes with assholes and a driver who doesn't know how to fucking drive.

People who say rangers suck obviously never grouped with a skilled one. Yes, rogue is better (best) dps, everybody knows that, but a well-played ranger is definitely worth its spot in a group.
Old 07-13-2014, 05:43 PM
Sarnak

On live as a paladin, in KC, guk and seb, I was often the puller and CC for groups. I once CCed king camp in seb even (was a very high DPS group).

Root + good tanking ability made it pretty easy.

After celestial cleansing comes out, soloing becomes very feasible at 59 (or whenever you get the spell).
Old 07-13-2014, 06:08 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecily [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This post surprised me since nearly every ranger I've grouped with played wonderfully. Probably based on "fat chicks give better blow jobs because they have to" logic and also since on a server of people who've been playing this game for 15 years, everyone knows rangers aren't optimal, so people usually don't pursue the class unless they know what they're getting into.
Quote:
Rangers tank fine.
hehehehe

For the irony of it all, I have a "Ranger Down!" shout button on my ranger.
Last edited by Daywolf; 07-13-2014 at 06:15 PM..
Old 07-13-2014, 06:52 PM
Sarnak

As an enchanter main, I'd rather have a ranger than a warrior in my group literally any time that isn't a raid. This "rangers can't tank" crap is just silly. Warrior aggro is absolute trash, and nothing on this server is difficult enough in a group to need warrior defensive skills unless it's a rad mob.

All class hate is just "it is known" silliness and not at all anything practical.

Also, a dude.
Closed Thread