Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 11:12 PM
Sarnak

Default Thoughts on luclin?

Obviously, the common opinion is that luclin is not classic. However, once velious is out that's the end really. There will be no more content. I think part of what makes an mmo fun is just the concept or idea in your head that there will be more eventually. People want to keep raiding and gearing because they know some day velious will be out and there will be new challenges.

For nostalgia, luclin wouldn't be good. It changes a lot of things and starts to move away from classic eq to modern eq. But my question is: if you are playing project 1999 as a game, ignoring the nostalgia factor, but as an mmo because you like it as an mmo... would luclin make project 1999 the game better or worse overall?

More or less, project 1999 is the last place to play real everquest. Live is so butchered after 25 expansions that the game is not recognizable anymore. It is literally not everquest anymore. So if you want to play everquest, project 1999 is the last place. If luclin was to come to project 1999 in 3-4 years, would it be good or bad and why? I know there are probably a lot of bad reasons, I'm just curious to hear the negatives.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:16 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
..project 1999 is the last place to play real everquest..luclin..bad ..
Old 02-13-2014, 11:17 PM
Sarnak

What I'm asking is, does luclin ruin everquest? This is just a thought I had driving home because tbh I do miss some of luclin, I just wanted to hear the reasons why.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:20 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I just wanted to hear the reasons why.
I'd do some forum searching. I'm pretty sure the main issue that has been mentioned is that the lead developer has a (rational? irrational?) hatred for cats on the moon, and has vowed to never allow them in P99. Others have also expressed concerns with the spires, the pauldal caverns, and the bazaar destroying various aspects of classic EQ
Last edited by loramin; 02-13-2014 at 11:24 PM..
Old 02-13-2014, 11:23 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'd do some forum searching. I'm pretty sure the main issue that has been mentioned is that the lead developer has an (rational? irrational?) hatred for cats on the moon, and has vowed to never allow them in P99. Others have also expressed concerns with the spires, the pauldal caverns, and the bazaar destroying various aspects of classic EQ
I mainly just wanted to start an open discussion on it. Basically whether or not eq with luclin or without it is a better game overall, for curiosity sake.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:27 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
the pauldal caverns....destroying various aspects of classic EQ
It was such a good zone. Nothing like being able to progress from 5-25 in the same zone! Many hours, many alts, and many friends experienced in this area of the game.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:01 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
What I'm asking is, does luclin ruin everquest? This is just a thought I had driving home because tbh I do miss some of luclin, I just wanted to hear the reasons why.
Kunark and Velious was really just more of the same classic EQ.

Luclin tried to change things up a lot, and it either succeeded very well or failed very hard. AAs were great, Ssra was one of the best raid dungeons in EQ, there were some really good quests / spell designs.

But from a design perspective I thought the zones were incredibly boring, and the vah shir race was kinda lame.

They tried to speed up leveling to 60 so people could get into end game and AAs, which meant everyone moved to boring places like Paludal and away from the cool classic dungeons. And this was relatively easy, considering the portal system. It wasn't better than druid/wizard ports, but it was usually a bit more convenient. The same could be said of the bazaar, it shifted the game away from player to player interaction for the sake of convenience.

And then there was the whole design philosophy, which went way wrong. Everything took so much time, by increasing raid mob HP, decreasing the amount of player DPS, requiring ridiculous amounts of keying, or in the worst cases (Lord Inquisitor Seru), all three.

So if I could change some things...

Keep AAs, they were a great way to progress and diversify classes even further. However, I would stagger their release more than Luclin did since they trivialized the fuck out of Velious content. All those tanking and healing and other AAs all at once made Velious raid encounters a joke that any guild could do.

Increase Luclin portal times to go off about as often as boats arrive at docks.

No playable Vah Shir. I don't care much about Beastlords, but neither did anyone else so maybe buff them a bit somehow if they are implemented.

Overall, Ssra was great but some of the loot was a bit off (did we really need like 8 SK/Paladin weapons?). Maybe improve some of the encounters like XTC and Arch Lich, somehow I feel like those encounters were supposed to be more difficult than they ended up being. Cursed, High Priest, and Ssra were some of the best raid encounters in EQ, and keying was alright except getting an entire raid guild the piece from Emp Portal was a bit tedious.

Get rid of bane weapons, or at least make them much easier to complete.

No Luclin models. No horses.

Sanctus Seru was a really cool zone that no one used because it was pointless besides keying for LIS. I'd revamp it to make it a fun place to exp. Also, fuck the LIS key quest. And fuck LIS in general, dude was awesome but his fight was stupid.

Vex Thal: This zone was a fucking mess. The key quest was awful, so increase the drop rate on all that shit. Now, cut the HP on all the mobs by at least half. Then give the raid mobs interesting abilities so it didn't feel like you were fighting the same gimp boss over and over again. Seriously, this shit was a huge let down after the awesomeness that was the Emp Ssra fight. It's like VT was thrown together in 10 minutes and never play tested because they needed an end-game raid zone (pretty common in EQ actually, but this was the biggest stinker). This is what really ruined the expansion for me.

A good example of the "loot problem" in Luclin was the several events in Acrylia Caverns that were really hard but really fun. The problem is that no one did them because the loot was shit compared to the difficulty. VT geared guilds were wiping on this stuff for glorified ntov loot. The Ring of Fire was so difficult they eventually removed it from the game, yet it dropped items like this:

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

And finally, like Sanctus Seru, make the zones interesting. How many people have interesting stories from Marus Seru, The Scarlet Desert, Echo Caverns, Grimling Forest, Hollowshade Moor, etc? No one - and a similar amount of people most likely never went to these zones unless they were doing their VT key or had to get to a connecting zone. I've seen these zones used well on custom servers - they can be fun, but the biggest disconnect between Velious and Luclin was how uninteresting and dead the world felt. Comparing those two expansions in that regard is like night and day.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:10 AM
Planar Protector

I like Luclin a lot. It definitely started to change EQ a lot, but classes were more balanced during it than most other parts of classic eq.

It definitely had it's problems - a lot of boring/useless zones, shitty model overhaul, timesink key quests, ridiculous mob AC and obviously unfinished content.

Every class in Luclin was half-decent. Casters finally got gear upgrades that mattered. AAs fleshed out classes pretty nicely. There was plenty of grinding to do at max level. Single group "raid" content (burrower). Cool (in theory) scripts that drastically modified zones for a time. Ring wars, cool quests, etc.

Also, I liked the lore. Vampires, faction power struggles, a continuation of the storyline of race that enslaved the Iksar, mysterious two faced citizens of Katta, etc. Velious faction wars were fun, but damn were they "generic" giant vs dragon/dwarf. I don't get the hatred for cat people, but no one bats an eye over frogloks or lizard people.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:16 AM
Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by koros [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't get the hatred for cat people, but no one bats an eye over frogloks or lizard people.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PGTuTiyEXw

a) They have no rotational turning animation
b) They run like they crapped their pants
c) They attack like they're toasting someone and and then their hand rolls back like a dropped tape measure
d) Like all Luclin-models, they have more in common with Gargoyles when sitting than the fidgeting old-world models
e) They're locked in a permanent kung-fu stance for no reason
f) Those who liked the old-world models are stuck seeing these god-awful models running around, compounded by the fact they're named Kitty Pawpaw

Frogloks are not a whole lot better, but at least most people get sick of the hopping after a while...heh.

Iksars were at least animated similarly to the old-world models, and were done as right as an animal-man model could be.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:00 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by koros [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I like Luclin a lot. It definitely started to change EQ a lot, but classes were more balanced during it than most other parts of classic eq.

It definitely had it's problems - a lot of boring/useless zones, shitty model overhaul, timesink key quests, ridiculous mob AC and obviously unfinished content.

Every class in Luclin was half-decent. Casters finally got gear upgrades that mattered. AAs fleshed out classes pretty nicely. There was plenty of grinding to do at max level. Single group "raid" content (burrower). Cool (in theory) scripts that drastically modified zones for a time. Ring wars, cool quests, etc.

Also, I liked the lore. Vampires, faction power struggles, a continuation of the storyline of race that enslaved the Iksar, mysterious two faced citizens of Katta, etc. Velious faction wars were fun, but damn were they "generic" giant vs dragon/dwarf. I don't get the hatred for cat people, but no one bats an eye over frogloks or lizard people.
The lore thing apart, I agree with you for the most part.

The thing is, pretty much everyone seems to agree that apart from some raid events, Luclin content was shit. I do agree with you that gameplay was substantially improved, namely class balance, caster gear and aas.

We don't necessarily need Luclin for that though.
Closed Thread