Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Resolved Issues

Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 01:41 PM
Aviak

Amazingly enchanters lull is resisted less, because, like charm, the resist check uses your cha (and level diff vs. mob) as modifier.

With lull, there's first a check to see if it is resisted, if it is resisted, then there's a second check to see if the mob aggros you, with aforementioned modifiers.

With charm, there's an initial resist check, and then a nother check at every period, untill the max timer expires, or mob breaks free, again with aforementioned modifiers.

My cleric with 60 cha recieves ALOT more resists and aggro from the lull-line, than my enchanter with 225 cha, thus making it risky to use with at best. I assume a bard would not sport a high cha either, although for both druids and bards, they would gain much in terms of charming mobs, if they had more cha, (or kept a set for situational purposes, like I would).

Triell Kontrol - Operational Psychologist.

Jander Sunstar

Trapp

"Greater Indeed are pleasures that are shared"

Drizzt Do'Urden - Exile
Old 11-29-2010, 02:00 PM
Aviak

My enchanter has a 75 charisma. My enchanter on live never intentionally boosted charisma either. Neither ever had trouble lulling mobs. Of course, reds resist anyone.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:49 PM
Large Bat

Some further info for the guys who develop and maintain this server.

Apparently the lull line was changed in late 2002 or early 2003 to actually work.

Here’s a thread from Monkley Business. Although it’s mostly about the spell Harmony, which was revamped at the same time, it does contain a quote from a live dev. There’s a link to the original, but the original page does not come up anymore.

Traditionally, most lull spells haven't really worked very well. Lull had a high resist rate and wasn't very reliable. We've recently looked at lulls and improved the way they work to make them more useful to players. You should find that the lull line of spells works more often than it did, though it will still fail some of the time.

http://www.monkly-business.net/forum...read.php?t=627

The monks were upset about the changes, because they (correctly) thought making lull a viable spell would devalue their skills as FD/split pullers.

Here’s a thread from EQ Cleric, from the same time period. If you read through it the cynical attitude of the clerics towards this spell line reveals the how the spell was functioning pre 2002:

I will finally get to use my old Donals bracer again - I used it from time to time in lower dogs in Velks. Although the success rate was awful, it worked a few times, much to the surprise of our puller.

and

I tried Pacify in the Grey, cast it on 5-6 different dark blue mobs, none resisted it, and I was able to run small circles around the mobs without them aggroing. I finally ran straight into one of the timeless golems and only then did it manage to see me. It appears that the lull line has been improved so as to actually be USEFUL. This is a step in the right direction.

http://www.eqclerics.org/forums/show...ghlight=pacify

You guys should really take a look at this spell line. It is not behaving like it did in classic / kunark / velious.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:44 AM
Orc

From my experience as a cleric, trying to pacify stuff was a death sentence.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:52 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The monks were upset about the changes, because they (correctly) thought making lull a viable spell would devalue their skills as FD/split pullers.
On a side note, Monk FD pulling is a skill that the developers never actually intended for the game. The players came up with it and after the fact the developers begrudgingly let monks keep the ability working as it does.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:25 PM
Fire Giant

I don't remember for sure but I think the main reason hardly anyone would even attempt using lull/pacify/etc on live was because it would not send a success/failure message to the client. You wouldn't get a "Your target has resisted the Lull Spell" or "A skeleton looks less agressive." You would have absolutely no idea whether it worked or not (unless the mob came running at you meaning a resist and aggro) making it pointless to even use.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:01 AM
Fire Giant

I used lull a lot on my paladin on live. Seemed to work fine for me.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:07 PM
Project Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedala [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I used lull a lot on my paladin on live. Seemed to work fine for me.
It working for me was extraordinarily rare. I still tried to use it, but expecting to succeed? No way.

Maybe the links above(2002ish) is when it got better. All I can remember is after Velious, it was easy to do with enchanter pacification.
Last edited by nilbog; 12-07-2010 at 09:09 PM..
Old 12-07-2010, 11:13 PM
Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilbog [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It working for me was extraordinarily rare. I still tried to use it, but expecting to succeed? No way.

Maybe the links above(2002ish) is when it got better. All I can remember is after Velious, it was easy to do with enchanter pacification.
Yeah it was probably sometime between mid 2002 and 2004. I quit during that time period and was shocked to find that bards were viable pullers with lull when I came back. Previously that song was worthless
Old 12-07-2010, 11:25 PM
Orc

Default Lull / Soothe for Paladins

I only played on live from 1999 to 2000. My only character was a paladin. I often was the main puller in Lower Guk, in which I used the paladin lull/soothe line to great effect. This was mostly during the pre-Kunark era, 1999.

I remember Lull / Soothe being useful to me back in those days (but I also recall some resists followed by some fast root-based crowd control).
Closed Thread