Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 12:26 PM
Fire Giant

Default Monk Twink Contest: Budget, Moderate, High End

Hi Everyone,

My triumphant return to EQ is going wonderfully and I am enjoying my time spent playing as a druid - much like I did in classic. In classic after 50, I created a monk alt.

My experience as a monk was always crazy - when I first got my hands on fungi/manastone for druid, I figured no harm in letting my monk borrow fungi. Then I liked monk more than druid so I sold off almost all of my druid's gear and was living large. Fungi/Tstaff/haste, etc. Eventually I sold my stuff and returned to my druid and my monk's gear was always odd - ei: 100k fungi tunic, 300p weapons; or 75k weapon but completely naked. For some reason I remember using Knuckle Dusters on my monk with FBSS at one time cause they looked cool, but thinking I could have used better alternatives for less plat.

So my question is: to get the most bang for your buck how would you twink a monk with ~2k, ~5k, or ~10k? You can make suggestions for any amount (100k, 500k) , or you can make suggestions for a budget set up (gear that will allow you to shine/solo/xp w/o opting to go to the next tier of more expensive gear) or you can give suggesttions for a high end set up. I have looked at the gear page on the wiki that has suggestions for gear pre-planar, planar and kunark, but I think it omits some of the great options now for an up and coming player.

Props goes to person with a setup that maximizes value and effectiveness of char. (EI: a monk that spent 100k on fungi but is naked, is probably not as good as spending 50k on tstaff, 10 on FBSS and 40 on other strong gear?)

I'll start with what I would try to get my hands on if I had ~2k, just to give an example. This is also pretty bad due to my lack of knowledge, but
Full Set of Wu's (~500p)
Wu's Trance Stick x 2 (~700p)
55hp rings (~250each?)
Random other gear I could find deal on in AH (for the last couple hundred plat)
Last edited by mefdinkins; 03-28-2012 at 12:29 PM..
Old 03-29-2012, 09:56 AM
Orc

Here ya go:
First, Wu's is pretty good filler, but there's stuff you can get cheaper, or around the same price that is more effective.

Azure Sleeves - 50pp
Fine Silk Turban - 75pp
Obsidian Bead Hoops - 60pp/per
Drakescale Legggings - 75pp or so
Jagged Band, great for lower levels, 50pp; though the 5/55 are great
Foreman's Tunic/Lockjaw Vest - 100p
Symbol of Loyalty to Vox - 50-75pp, almost unmatched AC bracer/weight wise for monks

For weapons, don't get dual Wu's. You're much better with a Can of Tranquil or whatever the 12/25 one is with stats in off hand, and dmg bonus comes from best ration in offhand, fastest in main. This is a bit skewed at 35 when Wu's begin to proc.

As far as Wu's armor, I've currently got the Gi, boots, hands, collar, waist and mask, all of which are pretty good options for a lower level monk. Magic boots/hands aren't too easy to come by cheaply, so they are decent options.

Random note: 75pp and a werewolf claw will get you a nice set of 4 AC .3 weight 3DEX/AGI gloves from Karg Icebear - Lupine Scale Gauntlets. I had a set on Live, used them until planar gear.

Additional weapon note: 20-35 (Wu's proc), the 23/28 2HB from CoM is really killer. If you're lucky enough to have a FBSS, this really shines.

I tried to keep it pretty cheap here, going from your original 2K idea, didn't do any hypothetical budgeting. Feel free to get at me in game if you have any questions, and enjoy.

Ceebeegee - 27 Monk, always LFG
<Explorers of Norrath>
Old 03-29-2012, 10:52 AM
Fire Giant

cool great help thanks!
Old 03-29-2012, 02:35 PM
Orc

NP, what do I win in the contest?

<Explorers of Norrath>
Old 03-29-2012, 04:23 PM
Fire Giant

free hugs -- hahah

The things I was really wondering were about like... best way to allocate your resources. Like when is it most beneficial to spend 10k on a FBSS.

Is 11K on FBSS + 500 Wu's quivering staff better than say - 9k on adamantite staff and whatever random thing you can get for 3k?

There is a lot of talk about best monk weapons -- all over the forum but I Was wondering what a good progression is -- how to best upgrade -- when to throw in FBSS -- and are those a priority over every other item?

Also like when should you throw down for Tink Bag? or Tink Bags?
Old 03-29-2012, 04:40 PM
Orc

I never had a Tink bag myself, and I was always fine with weight. That said, some sort of bag is essential, for bandaids/shuriken. Shralok Pack and EE Bags are good for awhile.

Good progression is Wu/CoT and the 23/28 staff into RFS/IFS if money isn't really an issue. From what I understand, AC is pretty clutch here on P1999, and me being overweight makes me hate myself, but I'm pretty broke otherwise.

The haste/weapon debate is tough, as they are both essential to monk dps. Overall, if you can afford the FBSS, then buy it. I may hate you since I cannot, but that's off-topic [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]. FBSS+ Wu's will put out much more DPS than Adam Staff + no haste, regardless of how good the weapon maybe. Furthermore, when you can finally upgrade to something mean like RFS/IFS/TStaff, you'll be at a dmg/delay ratio of better than 1, which is when monk dps goes really crazy.

The whole monk thing is that it's never been one that has a set "best" thing, IMO. You need a balance of everything to be really effective.

I was kidding about the reward, btw. Though if you have a bracer/cape slot better than Cured Silk, I'd humbly fall on them.

<Explorers of Norrath>
Old 03-29-2012, 06:43 PM
Fire Giant

large soiled bag is good for bandages and throwing implements. 10 small slots. saves a bit of weight and means you can have like 8 stacks of bandages and not worry. 4 pounds of bandages weighing only 1 pound helps

oh and 5ac/55hp rings are the best investment you can get after a weapon. you should be able to get a pair for 450

fighting batons are cheap and nice to use, maybe a FB in main and a cane of tranquil on off hand. that'll see you right through to the 30's in the absence of funds to get better. later on, jade mace and knuckle dusters are nice. that's in the 4.5-5k range for the pair though unless you get a really god deal
Last edited by Kender; 03-29-2012 at 06:48 PM..
Old 03-30-2012, 02:38 AM
Orc

I second on Large Soiled Bag. 400-800 pp, will hold bandages/food/water/shurikens/anything small. Another option is to have a mage summon you bags and then duel someone each night before you log out(or ragequit when you die tragically). Can be a pain in the ass but will give you a whole lot of weightless bags.

A pair of 5ac/55hp wedding rings, if you get them for 450, is definitely worth it. Otherwise, it comes down to what you have to spend. Best bang for the buck is gonna be Wu's Quivering Staff. No competition if you ask me, none.

If you can get an FBSS, then the world is your oyster and it opens up a lot of different combinations. For armor, everything Cee said is a great investment. Especially Fine Silk Turban/Azure Sleeves/Foreman/Lockjaw. Go with Wu's when in doubt.

I would concentrate on weapons and those rings are no joke either. If you only have a few k, get WQS. If you have more, get FBSS and then save for an IFS or JM/KD, your choice.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:29 AM
Planar Protector

didn't read it all, but monk fists aren't terrible weapons. spending 100k on a fungi and 500pp on a wu's quivering staff and 9k on an fbss will get you to lvl 30+ extremely fast. as you level more the fungi is less effective, but still very nice to have.

wu's quivering is your best 2hb for the plat by far. its dirt cheap. tho you'll want something else for lvls 1-10 with the damage cap. AC is down in price and is very nice, even without the proc. imo get epic and AC, its not too hard to get [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 04-13-2012, 11:54 PM
Sarnak

How about mid lvl/high end...have rings earrings cloak sash of dragon born sarnak mask and fungi + 26k to fill rest of spots and weps...ideas??
Closed Thread