Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 02:19 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuk3Afr1ca [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The stuff in these pictures aren't "divine" origin though, they're metal ships.
Trying to analyze/explain something from 500 years ago with a relatively new idea, like the modern UFO, is generally going to be a fail. Don't look at it through the lens of someone of the 21st century. Think about why the artist might have painted it, and how his audience might have looked at it. Answer: most likely a depiction of the sun/moon and done so with a mixture of old pagan and new Christian ideas. Or aliens.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:07 PM
Kobold

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by Nuk3Afr1ca; 11-04-2011 at 03:24 PM..
Old 11-04-2011, 04:19 PM
Fire Giant

cool pic Nuke. really cool to imagine the universe in terms of that picture. going by sheer size alone, it is ridiculous to think we are alone.

Old 11-04-2011, 04:42 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by guineapig [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I've always been kind of fascinated about the Nuremberg event back in 1561:

The main reason is because, unlike those paintings that have nothing to do with UFO's supposedly featuring them, in this woodcut the artist is actually attempting to show what hundreds of people witnessed.

(And yes, it looks like a really bad acid trip, but if mass ergot poisoning is the only explanation detractors can give then I ask you how a drug/poison can give the same exact delusion to countless people all over a city.)
Quote:
A sun dog or sundog (scientific name parhelion, plural parhelia, from Greek parēlion (παρήλιον) from παρά (beside) + ἥλιος (sun), "beside the sun"; also called a mock sun or a phantom sun) is an atmospheric phenomenon that creates bright spots of light in the sky, often on a luminous ring or halo on either side of the sun. Sundogs may appear as a colored patch of light to the left or right of the sun, 22° distant and at the same distance above the horizon as the sun, and in ice halos. They can be seen anywhere in the world during any season, but they are not always obvious or bright. Sundogs are best seen and are most conspicuous when the sun is low. Sun dogs might explain a remarkable phenomenon observed in Germany: on April 4, 1561, the skies over Nuremberg, Germany were filled with a multitude of celestial objects that were observed by many people in the city.
Also I find it funny that Wehrmacht's image contradicts itself: claiming that VV Cephei and VY Canis Majoris are both the largest known star (panels 17 and 19). They're very close and it's difficult to get an accurate measurement (VY Canis Majoris is generally considered larger, once thought to be larger than physically possible but has been "sized down"), so no big deal. But kinda lulz.

lol wut
Last edited by Mardur; 11-04-2011 at 04:55 PM..
Old 11-05-2011, 03:06 AM
Planar Protector

our UFO's will blot out the Sun!
Old 11-06-2011, 01:59 AM
Aviak

Interesting posts. Love this kind of stuff. Just read Sagan's Billions and Billions = hard to fathom. Then people get into other dimensions and...mind = fubar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17jymDn0W6U
Old 11-06-2011, 02:19 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biffins [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Trying to analyze/explain something from 500 years ago with a relatively new idea, like the modern UFO, is generally going to be a fail. Don't look at it through the lens of someone of the 21st century. Think about why the artist might have painted it, and how his audience might have looked at it. Answer: most likely a depiction of the sun/moon and done so with a mixture of old pagan and new Christian ideas. Or aliens.
I don't know, depicting the moon via painting it as if it's a flying vessel with someone inside it?

How about the Nazca lines? How are they explained? They're not visible from the ground, and in fact I don't think were discovered until someone flew over them in the early 20th century.

I'm not saying "I don't know, therefore aliens" but I am saying there's more to it than simply odd depictions of stellar bodies, at least in some of the cases. UFOs may not be a new idea. I mean, there's accounts of what might be interpreted as UFO activity in various religions including christianity.

It's just enough to keep you wondering.
Old 11-06-2011, 02:58 AM
Banned

Dont you assholes watch ancient aliens?!

Get EDUCATED!
Old 11-06-2011, 02:59 AM
Banned

Who built the pyrimids

ALIENS
Old 11-06-2011, 03:02 AM
Banned

young professor slippery here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgJ7-R4Zpbk
Closed Thread