Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

View Poll Results: Is variance still needed?
Yes, it promotes "competition" 75 29.18%
No, its an unneccesary non-classic time sink 182 70.82%
Voters: 257. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 02:18 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naerron [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Things like "hey all our warriors are actually epiced, we will trade you our masetro for your VS" could even happen. My point is, maybe taking out the speculation of making sure you get this mob or that mob, might also releave some of the tight butt hole stress.
While I agree with many of your points, I want to point out this particularly. This can happen with or without variance. A mobs varied spawn timer plays little to no part in whether this particular event occurs. If a raid guild decides it wants every mob for itself, regardless of need, they will attempt to make it so and, varied spawn or not, the above situation won't happen.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:19 AM
Kobold

p99 isn't live. it has and will continue to develop its own unique circumstances and will need unique fixes that were not originally addressed in the live patching timeline or policy enforced by the live admins.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:32 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danyelle [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
While I agree with many of your points, I want to point out this particularly. This can happen with or without variance. A mobs varied spawn timer plays little to no part in whether this particular event occurs. If a raid guild decides it wants every mob for itself, regardless of need, they will attempt to make it so and, varied spawn or not, the above situation won't happen.
I guess my point is that the lack of variance takes out a lot of the speculation, even the certainty of the a mob spawning isn't as reassuring as knowing when it's spawning, meaning knowing when you'll get yours i guess. Anyone who lived through 2008 should realize the danger of speculation.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:53 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarathiel [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Defeat the purpose of playing Everquest
Old 06-20-2012, 06:02 AM
Fire Giant

rotation served daily at your local homeless shelters. enjoy
Old 06-20-2012, 08:54 AM
Banned

Removing unClassical variance, adding FTE shout with at least 2 resets per month, would be ideal. The server as a whole would benefit greatly.

Xasten and Naerron have got the 100% right idea.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:08 AM
Planar Protector

I used to think removing the variance entirely was the answer, but I think simultaneous repops are actually better. I figured people would realize the futility of sitting on spawn points for hours on end just to get a chance at pixels, but then realized that people still resort to poopsocking on this server, as well as tracking mobs for several days straight, and they call it "competition". Everyone who thinks this is an unreasonable, unclassic waste of time is derided as wanting a "handout". So we need a solution that removes barriers for entry into the raid scene but is still competitive. Removing variance either forces rotations or forces poopsocking, neither of which are desirable in my mind.

Still, no variance is better than the insanely long variance we have now.
Lardna Minch, 18 Warrior

Project 1999 (PvP):
[50 (sometimes 49) Bard] Wolfram Alpha (Half Elf) ZONE: oasis
Old 06-20-2012, 11:24 AM
Planar Protector

Some interesting thoughts, but I still feel like this doesn't address the bulbously top heavy server with lack of new content issues.

I had a thought that maybe keeping variance but switching it to a 5 day window from time of death, instead of a range around the normal respawn might be better. To furhter explain if a mob like CT was killed he would respawn anytime from immediately up until 5 days later. This would make it so that any mob could potentially spawn at any point, instead of having only a few in a window. Yes, this could lead to some poop socking when things are approaching the 5th day but I think it also means slightly more spawns.
Some other toons
Formerly of TZ
Old 06-20-2012, 11:30 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmas [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Some interesting thoughts, but I still feel like this doesn't address the bulbously top heavy server with lack of new content issues.

I had a thought that maybe keeping variance but switching it to a 5 day window from time of death, instead of a range around the normal respawn might be better. To furhter explain if a mob like CT was killed he would respawn anytime from immediately up until 5 days later. This would make it so that any mob could potentially spawn at any point, instead of having only a few in a window. Yes, this could lead to some poop socking when things are approaching the 5th day but I think it also means slightly more spawns.
A combination of xastens idea plus new content is the fix
It's pretty clear he's become one of the people he described as No-life Nerds and Server Bullies.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:45 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarti0001 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
A combination of xastens idea plus new content is the fix
As the server goes through the motions again these threads start popping up more and more..

I totally think simulated patch day re-pops will make things much more amiable..... but i really think its just the server needing Velious really bad.. however just adding this stuff is going to create alot more work for some people.. i realize that time put in for this project is already probably rediculously hi numbers, but this will create even MORE work for the server staff..

It still needs to be addressed however!
Bunn - 54 Cleric
Closed Thread