Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 12:51 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Default 2nd game?

Hi all. Tried P99 last year, got a shadow knight to level 9, before real life and other interests got in the way, but recently had an urge to play again.

I'm also playing Uthgard. Have a 50 theurgist, and various alts ranging from levels 21-32 that I've been working on. I'm in an awesome guild. In general, I'm really enjoying my time there. But sometimes, I get a little burnt out on Uthgard, and just want to hop into something different from time to time. So, I guess my question is, knowing that P99 isn't my primary game, how good is it for the very casual/sporadic player like myself? Not looking for high end raiding or anything, just something fun to play when I put DAoC/Uthgard on the back burner.

A little about me: I played EQ for a couple months before live DAoC came out, and I liked it, but jumped to DAoC at lauch with most of my RL friends. I just like the "old school" feel of the classic MMOs like DAoC and EQ. I don't even like the Live versions of either of these classic games, and how they've tried over the years to "modernize" them. I've tried several MMOs from the WoW era and newer, and despise most of them (only newer MMO that I liked was The Secret World, but that was for the story and atmosphere. The combat kind of sucked, and end game is still running the same dungeons over and over again, on the gear treadmill...yuck).
Old 05-17-2017, 01:02 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoemurr [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So, I guess my question is, knowing that P99 isn't my primary game, how good is it for the very casual/sporadic player like myself?
I think a lot of it has to do with your class choice. "casual/sporadic" play pretty much means "solo play", unless you can find a duo partner who plays at the same time every day. Some classes, notably Bards, Druids, Enchanters, Magicians, Necromancers, and Shaman can solo all the way to 60 (or at least I think Bards/Magicians can). The rest can but it will involve a ton of downtime and probably won't be fun.

So I'd recommend creating one of those classes to play here. You should be able to log in to them, casually solo for however long, then log off and go play DaoC (or whatever)

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 05-17-2017, 01:06 PM
Planar Protector

As a shadow knight, you should be fine to shout LFG in an EXP zone and get a quick offer. If not, you're just a healer away from building a really good group.
Also its pretty hard not to post after you.. not because you have a stimulating(sic), but because you are constantly patrolling RnF and filling it with your spam.
Old 05-27-2017, 01:35 PM
Sarnak

Depends on your playstyle I guess.

If you like melees I'd play an SK, as you can fear-kite solo or as Samoht said, you can generally get quick grouping sessions easy.

Priest classes have Druids and Shamans, both of which have strong solo tactics, with Shamans being a little more desired in groups whenever you have time.

If you like pure casters, Necro/chanter/mage would be the way to go. Necros I'd think would be the best at soloing, but I've heard chanters are really good as well (and get groups easier), but I don't have any experience playing casters since I'm a melee addict lol.
Old 05-27-2017, 01:44 PM
Decaying Skeleton

I actually rolled a shaman. I still have my shadow knight too, and I've played him a little bit, but I am digging the shammy. Thanks for the advice guys. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Closed Thread