Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Old 12-02-2023, 08:35 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripqozko [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Why would you swap, you do you. Ain’t no one swapping if ya have Pom. The resists are still good on pom. You always stay with your choices tho so to prevent a 30 page thing I’ll just concede and say do whatever dms says. Good luck
Lodi Shield has +15 FR and +15 CR over PoM cloak. PoM Cloak resists are decent, but they don't compare to Lodi Shield. Lodi Shield has +50 total important resists across MR, FR,and CR. Vindi BP has +45. You're getting more than a Vindi BP's worth of important resists with Lodi Shield. PoM cloak only has +20 total important resists.

The more resists you can put in a single slot, the less pieces you have to swap out elsewhere, or the easier it is to cap a resistance with buffs. Remember that you may end up keeping the same HP or more as PoM cloak if you don't have to swap out another HP piece elsewhere. You have to look at your item stats whollistically. If you lose 200 HP from resist swaps to keep PoM cloak on, that may end up being worse than just using Lodi Shield and not swapping the 200 HP worth of items.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 12-02-2023 at 08:46 PM..
Old 12-02-2023, 09:34 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Lodi Shield has +15 FR and +15 CR over PoM cloak. PoM Cloak resists are decent, but they don't compare to Lodi Shield. Lodi Shield has +50 total important resists across MR, FR,and CR. Vindi BP has +45. You're getting more than a Vindi BP's worth of important resists with Lodi Shield. PoM cloak only has +20 total important resists.

The more resists you can put in a single slot, the less pieces you have to swap out elsewhere, or the easier it is to cap a resistance with buffs. Remember that you may end up keeping the same HP or more as PoM cloak if you don't have to swap out another HP piece elsewhere. You have to look at your item stats whollistically. If you lose 200 HP from resist swaps to keep PoM cloak on, that may end up being worse than just using Lodi Shield and not swapping the 200 HP worth of items.
Ya I'm not gonna keep going do whatever dsm says on any thread he's always right
Old 12-02-2023, 10:52 PM
Planar Protector

I'm a SV fanatic for my ranger. IMHO, they are very helpful when you have a pretty meager hp pool and hp recovery system.

For me it's Loddy Shield all the way until you replace with raid gear. If you insist on having a hp set pack a maelstrom cloak too, those are cheap as heck.

Note: Philosophically I'm in the minority and should my ranger pick up like 600hps my tune might change. I'm mostly focused on MR and FR/CR if they come for free. Being able to easily hit 200-220 fire/cold in HoT feels like it helps survivability much more than an extra 100 hps. At least if you dont have your pick of the best raid slot fills.
Last edited by Snaggles; 12-02-2023 at 10:54 PM..
Old 12-03-2023, 03:52 PM
Fire Giant

If OP is really just soloing in KC, I don't know what CR/FR buys them. Rangers don't want to be soloing casters. That being said, Rangers also don't have any mechanics that double dip on having a higher HP pool—e.g. good bind wound, mend, etc—so you're just getting a little extra runway for face tanking. If your main healing is regen and shitty ranger heals, you might get some mileage out of the higher AC on the shield while grinding low blues, as well.

Hiero and PoM cloak are probably better, but not really worth the upgrade unless you have nothing else to spend money on, imho. If you raid I'd be more inclined to pick up a cheap ToV back slot like Cloak of the Silver Eyes or Net of the Deep Sea.
Old 12-03-2023, 04:22 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keebz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If OP is really just soloing in KC, I don't know what CR/FR buys them. Rangers don't want to be soloing casters. That being said, Rangers also don't have any mechanics that double dip on having a higher HP pool—e.g. good bind wound, mend, etc—so you're just getting a little extra runway for face tanking. If your main healing is regen and shitty ranger heals, you might get some mileage out of the higher AC on the shield while grinding low blues, as well.

Hiero and PoM cloak are probably better, but not really worth the upgrade unless you have nothing else to spend money on, imho. If you raid I'd be more inclined to pick up a cheap ToV back slot like Cloak of the Silver Eyes or Net of the Deep Sea.
Ranger gearing gets expensive quickly. I’d agree cheap raid gear is your best bet. If you don’t plan on raiding ever then sky cloak should be the priority.
Old 12-03-2023, 07:38 PM
Planar Protector

Any ranger soloing should have an earthshaker, tolan bracer, fleeting quiver, budget haste item (like SCHW's), and a bow that's 30dmg+.

Even with a kit like that, rotting a 6k hp npc is horrible. It's just *possible* and you will want that stuff anyways eventually.
Old 12-04-2023, 05:21 PM
Planar Protector

I've always liked the Lodi shield for my ranger and rogue
[51 Champion] Logue (Halfling)
Last edited by Gozuk; 12-04-2023 at 05:31 PM..
Old 12-05-2023, 09:43 AM
Planar Protector

Yeah prob just keep using Lodi. Its fine.

This is Velious in (almost) 2024. It doesn't matter.

Focus on getting epic / sky cloak if you don't got.
Old 12-05-2023, 11:17 AM
Sarnak

I would go with the Lodi over Hierophant. I like the AC and resists.

I went with PoM cloak on Jayya, but that is in large part because its much easier for me to get than a Lodi shield within the ALS rule set. I think I like PoM cloak a little better than Lodi Shield as well, but not that much since the resists and AC is so nice.
Old 01-11-2024, 05:37 PM
Planar Protector

I use a PD cloak on my ranger because one day I decided I didn't have enough mana, but I really really like Lodi shield for any class that can wear.