Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Old 11-27-2023, 10:09 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you read my posts, I haven't been saying that spamming taunt is statistically better than saving taunt for the right moment. Everybody in this thread (including myself) agrees that timing a taunt correctly has a higher chance of success.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Often times it can be, yes. It frees up your brain to focus on other things. If you need to save taunt and use it strategically every 30 seconds because the rogue is constantly taking agro, you have bigger issues lol. Saving or spamming taunt is not the problem in this group.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe your position has consistently been that the optimal default/standard strategy should be spamming taunt.

Quote:
I am not really sure what you are after here. [...] I have been countering the point that spamming taunt does nothing, or has a negative effect. Mathematically this is 100% incorrect.
It is this last sentence that I believe to be wrong. Mathematically, however, to account for the objection you've raised about "time to flee", we need a value. How can you raise the objection "have a chance to waste it due to the mob running out of range" without the numbers necessary to calculate that chance?
Old 11-27-2023, 10:16 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbrown [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe your position has consistently been that the optimal default/standard strategy should be spamming taunt.
No. My position has been that spamming taunt is a viable strategy. That is all. I am countering the idea that spamming taunt has no value, negative value, or has a high opportunity cost. None of these things are true. I have data and math to back up my position.

You can check this entire thread and my post history. Nowhere did I say "spamming taunt is the optimal default/standard strategy". I am really not sure where you think you read that. I have been quite clear, and have repeated my points multiple times.
Old 11-27-2023, 10:25 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Often times it can be, yes.
I'm not trying to mischaracterize your position. Help me summarize it!
Last edited by bcbrown; 11-27-2023 at 10:27 PM..
Old 11-27-2023, 10:35 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Often times it can be, yes.
That specific post is referring to the choice of not using taunt vs. spamming taunt. If you are the type of player who rarely/never uses taunt, then spamming taunt will be statistically better than doing nothing.

I have repeated myself in detail multiple times. I agree that post was more terse, and could have been worded better. But even if you were to take the worst interpretation as me saying "spamming taunt can be better sometimes", that still isn't "spamming taunt is the optimal default/standard strategy". I am really confused as to where you thought you saw me say this.
Old 11-27-2023, 10:43 PM
Sarnak

Given two strategies:

1) Spam taunt whenever it comes off cooldown; whenever you lose aggro cast an aggro spell.
2) Save taunt; whenever you lose aggro first taunt and then cast an aggro spell.

Which one do you think is the better, more-optimal strategy? Is there another strategy you think is more optimal than either of those?
Old 11-27-2023, 10:52 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbrown [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Given two strategies:

1) Spam taunt whenever it comes off cooldown; whenever you lose aggro cast an aggro spell.
2) Save taunt; whenever you lose aggro first taunt and then cast an aggro spell.

Which one do you think is the better, more-optimal strategy? Is there another strategy you think is more optimal than either of those?
As I have stated multiple times, you can use both strategies. Spam taunt until your group needs strategic taunting.

Taunt has a 6 second cooldown and is unreliable. The opportunity cost of missing a single strategic taunt is extremely minimal, especially on a knight who has agro spells.

What is so difficult about this concept that I must repeat it ad nauseum?
Old 11-27-2023, 11:01 PM
Sarnak

I'm just trying to understand your position. I think I get it now. You don't believe the difference in effect between optimal and non-optimal strategies for taunt utilization has any substantial impact?

Again, not trying to mischaracterize your position. The above summary is the position I hold, for what it's worth.
Old 11-28-2023, 12:08 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
I'm just trying to understand your position. I think I get it now. You don't believe the difference in effect between optimal and non-optimal strategies for taunt utilization has any substantial impact?

Again, not trying to mischaracterize your position. The above summary is the position I hold, for what it's worth.
Honestly I think what I said is pretty clear. Can you tell me what I said that is not clear?

Quote:
As I have stated multiple times, you can use both strategies. Spam taunt until your group needs strategic taunting.

Taunt has a 6 second cooldown and is unreliable. The opportunity cost of missing a single strategic taunt is extremely minimal, especially on a knight who has agro spells.
Old 11-28-2023, 02:06 AM
Sarnak

Let's go back to this:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keebz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So in your mind, spamming it and hoping to get the timing right is better than deliberately timing it right?
Often times it can be, yes. It frees up your brain to focus on other things. If you need to save taunt and use it strategically every 30 seconds because the rogue is constantly taking agro, you have bigger issues lol. Saving or spamming taunt is not the problem in this group.

Quote:
That specific post is referring to the choice of not using taunt vs. spamming taunt. If you are the type of player who rarely/never uses taunt, then spamming taunt will be statistically better than doing nothing.
You said it was "referring to the choice of not using taunt vs spamming taunt", but the question you answered specifically said "So in your mind, spamming it and hoping to get the timing right is better than deliberately timing it right?"

The question clearly isn't about "the choice of not using taunt". Did you misread that question when you first answered it?
Old 11-28-2023, 02:15 AM
Fire Giant

I mean, sure, you can spam taunt if you really think that miniscule amount of hate means something, and you think emergencies are unlikely.

If, however, there is an enchanter with a charm, and it's liable to break, it is utterly invaluable for the tank to at least try to taunt it first before committing to aggro spells. That is one such example of why you should keep taunt up whenever you can.

Isn't this obvious? There are also plenty more scenarios where it would come in handy, so keeping it off cooldown, in a dungeon where you're tanking for a group, is the wiser course of action.