Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 09:55 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Default Why Kunark Cannot Save This Server

I am a former nihilum member, I quit about ~ 1 month ago. I saw the writing on the wall at that time, knowing that Kunark could no longer save this project. There's a few reasons, all of which build on each other, why Kunark cannot be the savior any longer for this server and I'll list them, so once and for all the talking mouths of Destin and company (think I saw this guy in guild once, if that) can be closed.

1) Not Enough High Level Players Will Return

Holocaust is gone, I know my former guild likes to brag about it as if they had something to do with it, but ultimately it was a negative for the server. Founding Fathers is gone, and it seems that if any of them return it won't be nearly enough to matter. Brotherhood is a small guild that is ultimately irrelevant. There's literally only one guild left that can progress 51-60. IF isn't coming back, so where are all these mystery high level players going to return from? The answer is the only people who will return are nihilum members, but it won't help with the next issue.

2) Melees Are Fucked

In Classic, you were able to (pre-flee nerf @ least) solo a melee that was well geared to around 40, a bit higher if you were a SK or Pally. From there you could let the druids put in the work in Sol B over a couple of days and wallah, you were 46+, ready to go. That won't happen in Kunark. Who will group the melees? There will be no one to group with 50+ except other nihilum members, but the poopsockers will already have their clique groups and the rest of the melee will be left out in the cold. What do you do if you're a melee and log on during your day off on a Wednesday? Who will be on? Who do you group with? The answer is no one. Having spent time in nihilum, the melee aren't the most dedicated poopsockers either, they won't keep logging on to no groups, or wait on a list to get into the good groups. You'll be stuck in the shit grind group with 2 other hybrids, no DPS, and a cleric, slowly killing blue mobs as you're lucky to get 2-3 blue bubbles over a four hour grind. Good luck having the melees keep logging on after that.

3) Poopsockers Won't Be Able To Raid

While the melee are slowly getting burnt out as they are completely dependent on others to help them, who there aren't enough of, the poopsockers who rush to 60 on their casters will have nothing to raid. The tanks will still be level 51-53, struggling along, a few of them will have burnt out, and numbers will continue to drop. There will be no one way to down any raid targets in Kunark, since they can't be trivialized with charm, and the poopsockers will burn out, combine this with the warm summer months, it will slowly consume even the most devoted.

4) Not Enough Low Levels Will Make It To Recruit From

There's a reason my former guild is desperately trying to recruit people from blue to PL here. There's no one left to recruit. Literally, no one. Kunark will bring some interested newbies in to check things out but unless they roll casters they will be unable to ever make it to the high levels where they can contribute. As explained previously, there will be a huge melee drought which will be needed to win PVE in Kunark, and the few people who do level their iksar necros to 60 will contribute little.

5) There Will Be Literally 0 PVP

Besides the fact that there is no one left on this server, there will be literally be no PVP because the few poopsockers who liked to try to gank before will have no one to gank because no one will even be in their pvp level range anymore! Combine this with the fact that travel in Kunark is incredibly annoying, and that people will spread across several zones, PVP will die at the high end.

6) There Will Be No Point in Farming

Since there will be no one left except the poopsockers and their melee alts, who is there to farm for since there will be no economy? After you farm a couple of fungi's for your alts, for the sick people that keep on playing, there is literally no point after that. There's no one to trade them to. Zilch. Nada. EQ was so replayable because you could twink your alt's out, play the economy, or go around and PVP. Only one of those will be an option, but it will be much harder for your alt because since likely the alt will be a melee, after all who twinks out casters, who will your alt group with? The other poopsocker alts? This will get old quick, and content will remain unused.

7) Even If Eventually Enough Melee Are Finally Carried Across The Finish Line, There Will Be No Point In The Raiding

Even if by some act of god, enough melee are carried and PLed, and don't get burnt out, and nihilum is able to get about 25 people online to do some raids, a tough number but doable for a couple of things, Velious will be impossible. All of the gear will be meaningless because Velious will require two to three times the numbers and the server will never even break 60 pop again.

8) No Reason To Roll On Red vs. Blue

The point of this server was that it would have PVP, competition, etc. Now that the competition will never return, what is the point of rolling on this server for a new player given all the difficulties mentioned above? Why roll here and wait hours for a group that you won't ever get when you can just roll on blue and get one? Why come here where you won't even be able to raid the end game in kunark because of numbers when you can do it on Blue? Why waste away for months PLing people to finally be able to raid when Velious is coming out soon on Blue, the expansion everyone is waiting for and that won't ever be dented on this server? There's almost no good reason to roll here unless you're a pariah on Blue and are too lazy to start over, but I would argue starting over on Blue is better than starting at the top on red.

Just my two cents about why this server is toast with Kunark unless fundamental changes are made.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:01 AM
Sarnak

I guess I log in to prove people like you wrong. This topic has been rehashed how many times in the past XX months? Play or don't play, but why make the community suffer by posting topics like this... again.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:08 AM
Planar Protector

Obviously heartbrand.

Y u post anonimous??//
Old 06-13-2012, 10:24 AM
Planar Protector

In reality, Kunark is the only thing that has a chance to save this server. To be against Kunark in any way, translates to you being against the server.

I've explained more succinctly how it will help the server that the OP a dozen times, but, by all means, buy into this crap by someone who is obviously butthurt and enraged about losing this server.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dullah [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Because you're wrong, and I won't pretend you're right.
  • Kunark will bring in new people who want to play kunark.
  • It will bring back old people who want to play kunark.
  • New content stands as the best way to win back people who completed all the classic content.
  • It will bring folks from blue who didn't want to play classic again, but want PVP.
  • It will take people from blue who weren't part of the uber guilds, and would like a way to compete over kunark that didn't exist on blue (PVP).
  • Kunark offers leveling from 1-60 and will provide new population for people to level with.
  • Kunark offers many pre-nerf items, thus a highly competitive timeline early on (PVP).
  • Kunark provides many months of raid after leveling.
  • Kunark balances classes, thus PVP, a ton, making melee much more viable.
  • Kunark offers 10x the itemization for character development/progression.
  • Kunark offers better resist gear as well as much more dynamic gear for PVP.
  • Kunark offers a new race which is huge, esp for necro and monks and will therefore contribute low level population.
  • Kunark offers epic quests which will bring much more highly contested content to the table later in the timeline (PVP).

Could easily double or triple this list with more time.

Kunark will give content to everyone, as well as a lot of grinding and competing over dungeons for exp and items. Its a no brainer...

Whether it will sustain the population long term remains to be seen, but its the only hope the server has as were down to around 30-50 players on a good day.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:56 AM
Planar Protector

I mostly agree with the OP, which is a bit of a surprise. I don't think the server is unsalvageable but I think releasing Kunark isn't going to magically save it, and in some ways it will widen the gap between Nihilum and the rest of the server. I think it's very telling that Dullah's response completely ignores the OP, especially the points about how inaccessible the melee grind will be for people not already part of Nihilum. I don't think he realizes just how slow levels 51-60 are going to be. Together they take at least as long as 1-50, likely longer since it's much more difficult to solo in Kunark due to the huge hp boost that higher level mobs get.

Dullah's thought process is like this: lots of people in Nihilum quit, so they must have quit because they were bored. Therefore they will be coming back for Kunark, because Kunark has more content. The elephant in the room is that lots of people in Nihilum quit because they didn't like the guild and realized there were no better options at the high end. The vast majority of people who quit are indifferent to Kunark being released, and as Abacab would say, that's the real truth.
Lardna Minch, 18 Warrior

Project 1999 (PvP):
[50 (sometimes 49) Bard] Wolfram Alpha (Half Elf) ZONE: oasis
Old 06-13-2012, 11:27 AM
Fire Giant

First define what constitutes "saving the server". What is the magic number of average population playing?

This is a red classic everquest EMU. Have realistic expectations.

At the VERY least, this server will and does provide the same level of enjoyment as the blue one does, without the three days sitting in a boss lair hopeing to get on the bosses agro list first so you have a right to it (or wtf ever they do on blue when "fighting" over raid targets).

So yes, when the absent Nihilum come back to work through the Kunark era content, the server will have been "saved". There will be people doing the content without having to join TMO or wait in boss lairs for three days straight hopeing the mob spawns.

And, anyone is welcome to come and try and contest the mobs, as they have been trying for the last 6 months. Thats the heart of a red eq server. You contest the mobs, guild vs guild, you dont join TMO or have your entire raid force sit in a lair for three days.

Like has been said all along, if you like Classic EQ, the game.. then you can have fun on a server like this, even with just 50 other people. If you are just after kill shots from zone to zone with no real goal or reason behind it other then the kill shot.....this server and game is not for you.

p.s. Already people who have not logged in , in two months have logged in again since reading the "Sky is comming" post by nilbog. So yes, its true everyone is just bored and waiting for new content. Just do a /who all nihilum next raid time and you will see faces back online that you have not seen in two months.

Pop is so low because people DID get bored clearing fear for the 100th time and camping their 10 thousandth froglock crown. Its way overtime for a new carrot, this is why Everquest released expansions.... to keep people playing. Why should the same not apply here?

Truth be told.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:41 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Literally everything in the post above me validates about everything I said in my post. If your goal is for this box to be a low pop server for one guild because they don't want to sit around for mobs on blue, mission accomplished, but three things. One, that won't work long term because of all the points in my post about how difficult it will be to get your melees high level and keep them from burning out, two you'll never be able to do velious on this server because even if literally all 30 people online are in nihilum it won't be enough, three, please don't call that EverQuest.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:44 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Wanted to point out as well that I want this server to work. This isn't meant to be a troll or burn it down, I'm just trying to say that if the thought process is oh just release kunark and everything will work itself out, it won't. Other changes need to be made in combination with content.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:44 AM
Fire Giant

Trollborne about as mentally handicapped as you can get. Guy has the biggest learning disability I've ever seen on the forums. He's so fucked in the head you'll never get through to him. He'll be the last fuck on the server/forums boasting about his dragon kills...

The poster child for neck beard basement dwellers everywhere. The kid is fucked.
MassiveMarc: Then we will poopsock in the shade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nizzarr View Post
Vox was tanked by hughman in plain sight, we found out that the bard could attack tru the wall there(more lucky than exploit) and we just pilled everyone there.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:48 AM
Fire Giant

Some in this thread sound mad that they got beaten down over contested content. Well thats red for you.

Try more 3 day poopsock on blue imo, maybe will fray your nerves less.

p.s. lol lets worry about velious when its done mmmk? folks already comming back online in light of the sky annoucement, kunark will be 50x more.
Closed Thread