Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 11:24 PM
Sarnak

Default DROID does: EQ

EDIT: Go to page 2 to see new information, including video footage of Project 1999 pulling more than 15+FPS on a phone. Go to page 4 for a final full write up on the process, links, and everything else you need to know or might just be curious about! This first post is now outdated and left merely as a history reference for what DOES NOT work! Page 4 for new guide!

EDIT2: This is all rather outdated, im using APP assisted means now, getting 30-40 FPS in nearly all games with a few minor bugs still to be worked out. The app assisted route was the way to go for visual quality and speed. Considering recent news articles and getting posted on BluesNews I would like to say thanks to the P99 devs for an awesome server! Also, this type of gaming is not recomended for everyone, to optain my eventual goal of 50-60fps its going to take alot so if you melt your phone with a 4x overclock its not my fault! Also stay tuned for an eventual Custom ROM for DROID 1 owners, a stripped down superclocked naked rom that does nothing but play games.

So i got bored and wanted to see how P1999 performed on an android.

TOOLS:
Moto DROID
Bugless Beast 1.0 ROM
7x slot 1.2GHz overclock CPU kernel
SETCPU clocked and locked at 1.2 GHZ, performance power profile
101Mb system memory ram available at the time via AGGRESSIVE as hell system process cutting
Android VNC (DROID side) and TightVNC (PC side) across a wireless LAN (This also works off the lan over 3g btw, but its REALLLLY slow then)
Screenshot app used is ShootME.
PC SIDE: Yea i didnt think about it and left EQ maxed gfx wise, everything cranked up, video card running at 16x AA+AF. Poor choice.

I experimented running it in GrayScale, 8 color, 256 Color and 24bit color, and all the different scaling options (Hence why some screens are full scree and others are unscaled)

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

oooooops.....yea its buggy what do you expect?!

RESULT: Piss SLOWWWW....though honestly I dont think its as much to do with CPU speed at this point, most likely VNC itself is causing the bottleneck somewhere, bandwidth is definitely impacted though by leaving the client at insane settings that my ACER netbook gets 5-10 fps at also.

Total FPS: .0001 - 2 FPS depending on color depth and action on screen. Ill experiment more in the future with different servers to broadcast from. However everything does work, moving, mouse control, chat, spells (I tried some buffing there in oasis) everything except sound. BTW every app and program EXCEPT for SetCPU is a free download.

edit: Im sure the more technically astute will say "Theres no big deal in this" Except for a game to run, even marginally through a VC is on a damn PHONE is cool, and its a fun project. My goal, is 5 fps at all times on the droid, for shits and giggles. Well see how it goes eh?
Last edited by ShadowWulf; 08-19-2010 at 01:44 PM..
Old 05-12-2010, 11:38 PM
Aviak

This is the kinda stuff that makes me consider putting my old G1 to rest and upgrading =P
Old 05-12-2010, 11:43 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyzon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is the kinda stuff that makes me consider putting my old G1 to rest and upgrading =P
Almost makes me want to put my droid to rest and get an HTC incredible but im holding off. The ROM scene has alot of work to make the incredible worth all that cash AGAIN, and there is as of yet no way to OC the incredible. Maybe with the added RAM and a POSSIBLE Overclock to 2 GHZ it might be worth it next year.

For now though the droid is more than capable when set up right. Now back to the bat cave!

256-Color Mode here.

Last edited by ShadowWulf; 05-13-2010 at 12:13 AM..
Old 05-13-2010, 12:52 AM
Planar Protector

hahaha you are a genius
Old 05-13-2010, 12:53 AM
Planar Protector

if you can get EQ running on the HTC Incredible at anything close to 10FPS I am buying one immediately.
Old 05-13-2010, 01:20 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrocat [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
if you can get EQ running on the HTC Incredible at anything close to 10FPS I am buying one immediately.
Exceedingly doubtful for several reasons, the bigest being that VNC clients just suck ass as properly streaming content like a game. The droid does great even over 3g though for desktop tasks and file transfers.

Even at 1.2 GHz and a heavily optimized ROM with every resource dedicated to this im still crapping out UNDER 3 fps. a 5FPS goal might be doable, but im doubting 10 on any device unless I had a hard wired 100 mbs phone. The droid only does, in my house, wireless G as is and thus its caped under 54mbs. I do believe one thing the droid does better than the Incredible(when overclocked this high) is GFX's. The Incredible lacks a dedicated GFX processor like the droid has, but the additional RAM in the incredible makes up for that.
Old 05-13-2010, 01:22 PM
Aviak

Wow that is pretty incredible...I wonder if it could be made to run on the phone itself rather than through VNC. I guess that would take a dedicated graphics processor though...
Dawrit 12 Druid of Project1999
Old 05-13-2010, 01:49 PM
Sarnak

Send a message via AIM to toddfx

I tried this using LogMeIn on my iPhone with even worse results! It was about 1 frame every 5 seconds using 3G, and the mechanics of walking (lack of arrow keys) would make it impossible to do anything other than chat.

I also tested it using LogMeIn as well as VNC between two networked computers with pretty much the same results. My screen resolution was 1024x768 and EQ was running in windowed mode. LogMeIn was set to low image quality and lowest resolution.

I'm somewhat surprised it's so slow in-game even over networked machines. Outside of games, in the normal desktop setting, I get pretty much real-time interaction on my iPhone over 3G. I guess there is more color information being sent when in a game, but it can't be THAT much more.

I wonder if just limiting the frame rate on the desktop end would make any difference? If there are a fewer amount of frames being sent from the source, maybe VNC/LogMeIn would have a slightly better chance of keeping up?

Also perhaps opting for one of the paid subscriptions would allow for a higher bandwith. If 3G can stream video, I firmly believe it is technically possible to stream a game [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Somehow.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:50 PM
Sarnak

Shadow,

I was TOTALLY looking for something like this... so the trick is using a VNC client. But total bummer on the FPS. 5 FPS is even pretty junk to play on I would imagine. Maybe buying/selling or chatting would be about all you can do on this.

Keep us up to date on your results.... i may end up trying this w/ my Droid depending on your results.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:18 PM
Sarnak

Humm, still researching and playing around...

a 1024x768 display in 8 bit color requires 6,291,456 bits, so on a 20Mbit line you could get about 3 frames a second.
At 54Mbs, THEORETICALLY 6 FPS should be possible.

EDIT: Video proof comming soon.

15 FPS on the OCd droid playing EQ
Last edited by ShadowWulf; 05-13-2010 at 10:50 PM..
Closed Thread