Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 03:40 AM
Kobold

Default Aggro weapons for a monk

Let's say that my monk wants to generate as much aggro as possible without using consumables and that I don't have access to top tier raid weapons. What weapons should I use?

Just go for damage (Epic + SoS)?

T Staff? AC + Ykesha Club?

There are a lot of weapons with a proc that just does damage (eg, Trance Stick, Velium stuff, Velk's stuff, Smoldering Brand), but I assume they don't generate that much aggro.

There are also a bunch of weapons with more interesting procs that I wasn't sure about. Eg, Iron Bound Tome, Tash Stick, Paebala Warbone, Sarnak Lightning Caller, Sarnak Warhammer, Screaming Mace, Shaded Torch, Stronghorn's Horn.

Thanks!

I wrote a Monk guide: Meviin's Monk Mechanics
I wrote a guide on purple links in incoming messages:
Meviin's Macros: Purple Links When Pulling

Meviin - 60 Monk (Iksar) <Kittens Who Say Meow>
Laylot - 21 Necromancer (Iksar) <Kittens Who Say Meow>
Kozev - 12 Enchanter (High Elf) <Kittens Who Say Meow>
Old 02-23-2017, 04:09 AM
Planar Protector

Posion, Stun, Lifetap , Slows are all good things to get that snap aggro you are looking for. If you are looking for snap.

Make sure you have max dex.

Honestly if you have a 60 Rog poking behind though its gonna be tough to hold aggro unless you get a few procs in first.

I say this from a 60 Rog perspective.

Tupakk-57 Bard(Raid Whore)Afeni-45 Druid (Dial a Port Leadership) |Forums|Facebook| Lumumba-60 Rogue(DaP Security)/(Nocterma Member) & Department of Fun Promoter
Old 02-23-2017, 04:49 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupakk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Posion, Stun, Lifetap , Slows are all good things to get that snap aggro you are looking for. If you are looking for snap.

Make sure you have max dex.

Honestly if you have a 60 Rog poking behind though its gonna be tough to hold aggro unless you get a few procs in first.

I say this from a 60 Rog perspective.
Are there monk weapons that have poison, lifetap, or slow? I thought I was stuck with stuns.

I wrote a Monk guide: Meviin's Monk Mechanics
I wrote a guide on purple links in incoming messages:
Meviin's Macros: Purple Links When Pulling

Meviin - 60 Monk (Iksar) <Kittens Who Say Meow>
Laylot - 21 Necromancer (Iksar) <Kittens Who Say Meow>
Kozev - 12 Enchanter (High Elf) <Kittens Who Say Meow>
Old 02-23-2017, 06:08 AM
Planar Protector

Have a friend root the mob. Stand on its toes. Works pretty well most of the time.
Old 02-23-2017, 12:27 PM
Fire Giant

With shaman buffs, and 36% worn haste, Twochain hardly ever loses agro with T-Staff.

However, i'd bet that Sarnak warhammer main/adamantite club would be very close for agro.

Also, if you pull with this http://wiki.project1999.com/Bioluminescent_Orb you'll pretty much never lose agro.
Old 02-24-2017, 11:38 AM
Sarnak

i main tank as a monk for my group of friends. anecdotally i believe t-staff is best for tanking for multiple reasons:

1) solid dps (which will get better with triple attack, eventually)
2) very strong aggro proc
3) you will give the mob way less chances to riposte, thereby decreasing the amount of dmg you take - not to be discounted when you're tanking
4) when you riposte the mob you will deal more damage than if you were using 1h weps

most people only think about 1 and 2, but 3 and 4 are significant, and add up
Old 02-24-2017, 12:14 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jijii [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i main tank as a monk for my group of friends. anecdotally i believe t-staff is best for tanking for multiple reasons:

1) solid dps (which will get better with triple attack, eventually)
2) very strong aggro proc
3) you will give the mob way less chances to riposte, thereby decreasing the amount of dmg you take - not to be discounted when you're tanking
4) when you riposte the mob you will deal more damage than if you were using 1h weps

most people only think about 1 and 2, but 3 and 4 are significant, and add up
You could also add in that it's helpful against mobs with DS. I have tanked some on my monk in Seb and tstaff seems to work well but key is having someone root the mob if possible to compensate for no snap aggro.
Old 02-24-2017, 12:15 PM
Sarnak

dbl post
Old 02-24-2017, 12:26 PM
Planar Protector

As a rogue, I don't think I ever had a problem with an epic / whatever monk tanking. DPS holds agro pretty well. But yeah, t-staff is good.
Old 02-25-2017, 07:51 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twochain [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
With shaman buffs, and 36% worn haste, Twochain hardly ever loses agro with T-Staff.

However, i'd bet that Sarnak warhammer main/adamantite club would be very close for agro.

Also, if you pull with this http://wiki.project1999.com/Bioluminescent_Orb you'll pretty much never lose agro.
this is the correct info

tstaff is much better aggro than ac/sarnak warhammer, but tstaff can be hard to find sometimes
Closed Thread