Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 12:35 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endonde [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
1. Half str, half sta is fine, starting stats barely matter at all in the long run as a rogue.

2. Epic is harder than it used to be but it's still by far one of the easiest epics.

3. Gnomes are ugly you chose wrong.
I think the fact I never see or play gnome females has made it entertaining for me. Plus she is so tiny, and targeting mobs is so easy when I need to navigate around etc. it's really a comical appearance no doubt which is funny because of how much damage she pours out! Still going strong like my ugly little female gnome rogue!
Old 02-23-2017, 09:37 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhancelot [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I am just curious what it is that draws people to play a rogue.

What do you rogues do to keep it fun? What is it that you enjoy most about your rogue? What race is your rogue, do you wish you had picked a different race, if so why?
I use gamparse to see my dps. racing for top dps is a game itself.
As rogue your quest is to seek the best weapons and anything that will increase your dps.
On top of that rogues are needed in groups and raids.
They find groups easily ( like in old seb to make plat ) and are appreciated in raids. Their damage in raids stack very well.

My rogue is a Dwarf because they can barrel roll and have great starting stats.
Dwarfs in a full set of haze panther look like little ninjas barrel rolling.
Old 02-23-2017, 11:20 AM
Sarnak

For me the one of the odd things about a pure melee character is having not a whole lot to look forward to. After leveling a necro and druid up, you get used to having shorter-term goals/spell circles that you're looking forward to that seem to make leveling more interesting. Even as a warrior or monk you're often pulling so when you level up you're going to different places, learning zones/pathing/etc. so there's less risk of monotony. For rogues though if you swim with the rest of the fishes you'll be hanging around in a camp for multiple levels looking at the identical scenery, then relocate and have a slightly different view but still standing around in a camp waiting for the puller to bring stuff to kill. And when they do you're doing pretty much the same thing- positioning then autoattack/mashing BS/evade macro. Click your DE mask every half hour for fashion points. /yawn

My advice for anyone considering the rogue path is to try to mix up camps as much as possible so that you can avoid the monotony that is inherent in the class. It might be more efficient to sit in HHK for 20 levels or whatever, but damn is it boring.
Old 02-23-2017, 01:31 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuurin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
For me the one of the odd things about a pure melee character is having not a whole lot to look forward to. After leveling a necro and druid up, you get used to having shorter-term goals/spell circles that you're looking forward to that seem to make leveling more interesting. Even as a warrior or monk you're often pulling so when you level up you're going to different places, learning zones/pathing/etc. so there's less risk of monotony. For rogues though if you swim with the rest of the fishes you'll be hanging around in a camp for multiple levels looking at the identical scenery, then relocate and have a slightly different view but still standing around in a camp waiting for the puller to bring stuff to kill. And when they do you're doing pretty much the same thing- positioning then autoattack/mashing BS/evade macro. Click your DE mask every half hour for fashion points. /yawn

My advice for anyone considering the rogue path is to try to mix up camps as much as possible so that you can avoid the monotony that is inherent in the class. It might be more efficient to sit in HHK for 20 levels or whatever, but damn is it boring.
That's what i always wondered too, and I felt that way on past rogues. But after playing shaman, chanter, druid, and always soloing or having group intensive classes I kind of find the rogue to be a nice break tbh.

With the rogue, I can group and actually chat and conversate more now. It's a very relaxed style of play compared to the three classes I have played the most over the past years on p99.

Also, I want to explore stuff on the rogue, go places I never went on other toons. I bet I can go places I never could go on other classes. Well, that's what I am hoping for anyway.

I also want to work the epic on my own and see what that is like. It seems like a fun quest line. I think I just needed a break from complexity and group intensive/solo classes.
Old 02-23-2017, 04:08 PM
Planar Protector

I think you're starting to see the appeal of the class. Getting new high backstabs will keep you entertained for a long, long time. And when that gets boring, you'll get doubles. And that gets boring, you'll get duelist. Your damage is insane compared to any other class and for, the most part, you're a glass cannon who will get broken if you play sloppy. That risk of death always kept things interesting for me. Exploration / corpse recovery. Relaxed play style with no carpal tunnels.. You can even break nukes, CHes, and gates once you understand push control and controlling other players.

Rogues are fun.
Old 02-23-2017, 06:53 PM
Kobold

I play a rogue because I like to fuck dragons up and rogues are the best at fucking up dragons. You can argue that charmed pets do more DPS (they do) but they aren't available in every situation and getting someone else to fight for you is some real weak shit.

Not to mention you get the benefit of playing the fashionquest mini-game while having little-no impact on your character's performance. You'll want to wear real gear for things that AE and when you lack buffs, but if you have level 60 shaman buffs you can hit capped STR with 120 STR pre-buff.
Old 02-28-2017, 12:52 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowako [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You can argue that charmed pets do more DPS (they do) but they aren't available in every situation and getting someone else to fight for you is some real weak shit.
Nice to play a completely non-magic-using class, with Hide/Sneak the only "extraordinary" ability. Warrior the only class more legit than rogue.
Closed Thread