Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 02:21 AM
Planar Protector

You know Lamort played an SK here before red, right?

Definitely best on the server
Old 03-05-2013, 02:34 AM
Planar Protector

prob explains why lamort dies x5 daily, looking for dat FD key
Old 03-05-2013, 09:09 AM
Kobold

Lenfer best Shadow Knight hands down
Old 03-05-2013, 09:29 AM
Banned

all names null and void, pve content to easy to judge, anyone who isnt good at it just a retard.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:11 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by astuce999 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't think that at this point in the game, anyone can be "the best". If you play your class optimally, people will notice, but a lot of people can play that class optimally.

The people who usually notice, are actually good players themselves. To be polite, they'll say things like "this group is really good!" or "it's been a while since I've been in such a good group".

One good way to identify if you're the catalyst in the "good group", is that when you say you have to log, all of a sudden everyone else has to go pretty much at the same time. Then, for fun, if when that time comes, you say "I've managed to be able to stay for another hour", for some magical reason, they too can stay for that extra hour.

For some classes, it's easier to shine than for others. The perennial example is the enchanter; a great enchanter will easily draw praise from other players. For other classes, it's a lot more subtle, especially DPS classes since the only time they will be noticeably on the radar is when they fuck up (i.e. a rogue that draws aggro and keeps draining heal mana).

Some classes are known for their solo skills, so they are pretty obscure to other players, and when they get groups people don't really know what to make of them and they won't know if they're good or bad (necros and wizards come to mind).

Pullers are usually only recognized by other pullers, since the rest of the group is oblivious to the difficulty of what happened before the mob came single to where the group is (a famous line from the movie Sneakers: "That's not easy what I just did there!").

Healers and tanks, while cornerstones of any group, will rarely get props for doing what they're supposed to do, but it will happen more than dps'ers (i.e. "nice timely heal there, purple club", "thx for getting that off of me, I thought I was done for").

And then there's Bards. 12 fucking years and people still don't have a clue on what they can, and cannot do, including some people who play the class. It's the only class that other people feel no hesitation in telling them on how to play, like they are some kind of jukebox ("play mana song" anyone?). Unless the person praising you is also a full-time bard, when they do compliment you, it's still only on what they think you are doing, which is usually about half of what you actually are doing.

cheers,

'Stuce
You make some very interesting points. I'd like to add that I think it is very hard to judge the skills of people whose abilities surpass your own. I've played a lot of druid over the years and I've noticed two druids who really stood out: Prospect and Petros. I played a lot with Prospect and only a little with Petros. I can say with confidence that Prospect is a better druid than I am and I think Petros is, too. My few interactions with Kindadar were impressive, too, and Ploktor definitely produces impressive results but I've never seen him in action on his druid.

I've also played a lot of cleric. It's hard to stand out as a cleric unless you suck. Your group either survives, in which case everyone takes credit, or else you wipe a lot. I've never seen a particularly standout cleric on P99. Someone mentioned Getsome early in this thread. Either he learned to play after being in IB for six months or else the person posting that is delusional. Getsome was a terrible cleric early on.

Finally, I've played a lot of tank. I consider this the weakest role on P99. I've never seen a really good warrior, much less a great warrior. Poor mob awareness, poor target selection, poor aggro build, poor positioning. Really, really bad warriors. I think this might be one of the hardest classes to play, because you have to use all your little tools correctly all the time. I've seen a lot of SKs brag it up because they could pull with CoS, then their mob goes running at low life because they didn't bother to snare. Someone else also mentioned Ektar as best paladin. That was a joke, right?

I've seen lots of impressive things from enchanters and shamans, but all I really know is that there are a bunch of people better at playing those classes than I am. That French monk (Sochin?) and LedZepp from DA also really seemed to have their shit together as a pull team. Emil was a solid puller, too, but he worked alone a lot of the time and that just doesn't work as well.
Last edited by Alawen; 03-05-2013 at 10:43 AM..
Old 03-05-2013, 03:14 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autotune [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That's because Necrious is Necrious, he isn't going to go around tooting his own horn.
Necrious at least in my day was always a nice guy to chat with and raid against.

PS. Stealin lost to paladin in ec tunnel pre kunark.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:24 PM
Aviak

How about a list of best "active" players.. meaning they have logged in within the past 2 days.
Agdros - 52 Warrior
Saulty - 52 Bard
Gewie - 32 Rogue (new)
TMO
Closed Thread