Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 11:06 AM
Kobold

Default How stable is the server?

How stable is the server? Will there be a day the server is no more? Will this server last longer than EQ LIVE? Just askin cuz this server rocks and it would suck if it had to go.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:09 AM
Sarnak

Yeah. They are going to release RoK and SoV as a package deal, and will leave the server up for another 2 weeks. After that, your character will be deleted and reported to the pedo police, you kid toucher.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:10 AM
Fire Giant

This server, in terms of stability, can hold over 300 people in a single zone...200 to be comfortable. And it will last for however long we have funding and interest in it -- this project is ran by peoples love for classic everquest, and i highly doubt that it will fade any time soon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-21-2010, 11:12 AM
Sarnak

Sure, you can trust a "server guide" or you can trust me, a...guy on the internet that sounds likea dick. YOUR CHOICE NEO, RED OR BLUE PILL?
Old 11-21-2010, 11:13 AM
Kobold

Thats good to hear. It would be sad to see whats left of EQ go away...EQ Live is already dead. How much does it cost to keep a server up?
Old 11-21-2010, 12:02 PM
Kobold

haha, personally, I do have a fear of the server going down mainly because of copyright issues. Other issues include server maintenance, or EQemu shutting down. Thats why I havent spent a lot of time on my character because you never know what will happen.
Old 11-21-2010, 12:43 PM
Orc

Wow, how about just playing and letting the small stuff work themselves out
Old 11-21-2010, 12:44 PM
Kobold

Im just so worried though!
Old 11-21-2010, 01:10 PM
Project Manager

Well you're in luck. We've spent the past year working on server stability, and it's gotten better via hardware, hosting, and server-specific optimizations. At this point, I'd say the server is very stable. As far as copyright issues, this has been discussed in an article, including interviews. SOE seems apathetic and/or intrigued by it, because we do not charge for anything. Coming from the President of sony, and co-founder of Verant, I take it as a compliment.

Quote:
not every private server is vilified. The private EverQuest server known as Project 1999 has been under the watchful eyes of publisher and license-holders at Sony Online Entertainment since before its inception in 2008, but has garnered no more negative reaction than apathy as of this time. A few SOE employees have even noted their approval of the project, since it offers a form of gameplay no longer available for subscribers to the modern evolution of EverQuest.
Quote:
In fact, a quote from SOE's President John Smedley nails the point home on how they feel about the efforts of the Project 1999 crew: "Practically, our stance is that I’m amazed that people know how to do that. Typically emulators have a very limited functionality but it really is an amazing technical feat... until those people start charging and ripping us off, then it becomes something else."
http://www.tentonhammer.com/editorials/private-servers
Old 11-21-2010, 01:14 PM
Kobold

Wow! that is a compliment. Smedley himself! I didnt think SoE would have liked it. After seeing that, I feel more secure. Just a questions though, if there arent charges how do you afford it?
Closed Thread