Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

View Poll Results: Do you live in one of America's inner cities?
Yes, I live in a but I got inner city 41 18.55%
Yes, I live in a crime infested inner city 35 15.84%
Yes, I live in a burning crime infested inner city 33 14.93%
Bush burned the crime infested towers 153 69.23%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 09:46 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daywolf [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Wrong. They had the written language before Moe made up that junk in his broken head. He didn't write it down (if he even existed), it was just a telephone game for ~250 years before someone bothered.

You just gotta write that stuff down first-hand and preserve it, including the making of many-many copies which helps preservation. That's a big problem with much of history as we know it, even your beloved greek philosophers. And that's just counting the manuscripts that survived all the great library fires and sackings.

You're boring, Al d Gore.
Strike 9. Inning over. Did your partner leave you for an Arabic translator?
Old 03-23-2017, 10:35 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahldagor [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Strike 9. Inning over. Did your partner leave you for an Arabic translator?
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-23-2017, 10:52 PM
Planar Protector

I'm sorry for your loss.
Old 03-24-2017, 02:36 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahldagor [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm sorry for your loss.
My loss? hmm... last time I checked, they threw your kind off roof tops without a second glance. You cant appease them, not even if you could grow wings.
War is coming.
Old 03-24-2017, 04:35 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daywolf [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
War is coming.
my zega on sega right hurr

PKer & Master Trainer and Terrorist of Sullon Zek
Kills: 1278, Deaths: 76, Killratio: 16.82
Old 03-24-2017, 08:47 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
My loss? hmm... last time I checked, they threw your kind off roof tops without a second glance. You cant appease them, not even if you could grow wings.
War is coming.
You didn't fall into a spiral of self-harm with drug abuse did you? Again, I'm sorry for your loss. It's not your fault.
Last edited by Ahldagor; 03-24-2017 at 08:49 AM..
Old 03-24-2017, 09:02 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lune [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You've got to get the ridiculous notion out of your head that cooperating as a society and providing a framework of opportunity encourages people to be complacent.
That is not my concern, Lune. No rational person would embrace that notion. I disagree with the premise though that what you describe above is an accurate description of universal basic income on its own in our present environment ^^

Quote:
It just does not work like that. That vision is born by such a profound lack of understanding of the world.
Of course it doesn't ^^

Quote:
It's like saying providing good soil and water for your garden is counterproductive because some of the weak plants will survive and some weeds might get some.
this is where we disagree. i do not see universal basic income as good soil and water. it's like spraying vinegar on your soil because you have bare patches and being pleased with the fullness once you have more moss than grass ^^

In my experience, I have never learned something or developed a skill by way of someone else doing that thing for me. I have seen similar results with those I've taught and those others have taught. People do not learn without doing. Outside perhaps a very few exceptional individuals, the first step to success is almost always failure and overcoming those obstacles on one's own is absolutely necessary. Others can offer advice, guidance, correction, explanation, demonstration, but learning itself is an internal process.

If I do your math homework for you, you will receive good marks, so long as I continue to do so. What is the likelihood of my continued aid ever helping you learn to do math? (I'm sure you would receive exceptional marks on your own, that not the point ^^)

That same analogy can be applied to work and play and every other activity and it is one reason why I do not believe that the simple act of giving people money necessarily enables them in to amass or even acquire more of it.

The other reason I don't embrace a universal basic income is because I see poverty as a symptom, not a disease itself. It is the result and while it may exacerbate other complications of the disease giving rise to it, it is not the cause. The source is general performance deficiency, or failure, arising from both internal and external sources. I simply do not believe that poverty causes people to fail. People become impoverished because they fail. Those who are unfortunate enough to be born into it generally remain there, but all do not. Some find a way out. If poverty were the source of failure, those people would not exist, but they do.

Quote:
Besides, universal basic income is infinitely more fair than the current system of welfare because everyone gets it and it replaces most other entitlements.
i agree that in the short term it is more equitable to individuals. it's the long term consequences that concern me and those I see as equally detrimental to all.

Quote:
For all your rhetoric about saving humanity you don't even realize that statism is literally the only way to counter the bacterial impulses of humanity and do important things like population control and long term collective strategy/planning. Left to "selfishness" or unfettered market capitalism we'll destroy ourselves like bacteria in a petri dish, or we may already have.
I think we'll destroy ourselves anyway, but to your point on statism, i don't disagree with you on its efficacy. I've evolved on that issue and have said before that the only practical systems for advancing humanity fall neatly within the libertarian right and the authoritarian left. The former relies on nature to do do the work we are disinclined to, the latter embraces that responsibility as our own.

The reason I reject the libertarian left is because a government that assumes financial responsibility, must be empowered to control costs alongside revenues. Allowing a citizenry to do as they please when the government holds the pocket book is not a sustainable condition.

The reason I reject the authoritarian right is because a government which possesses great power, but fails to adequately temper excellence, will simply be bought by the most successful entireties.

all authoritarian systems will suffer to some degree from adverse selection and corruption, but it is far more difficult for specific entities if the environment does not permit the economic hegemony afforded by a wholly free market.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedmelon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That is not my concern, Lune. No rational person would embrace that notion. I disagree with the premise though that what you describe above is an accurate description of universal basic income on its own in our present environment ^^

Of course it doesn't ^^

this is where we disagree. i do not see universal basic income as good soil and water. it's like spraying vinegar on your soil because you have bare patches and being pleased with the fullness once you have more moss than grass ^^

In my experience, I have never learned something or developed a skill by way of someone else doing that thing for me. I have seen similar results with those I've taught and those others have taught. People do not learn without doing. Outside perhaps a very few exceptional individuals, the first step to success is almost always failure and overcoming those obstacles on one's own is absolutely necessary. Others can offer advice, guidance, correction, explanation, demonstration, but learning itself is an internal process.

If I do your math homework for you, you will receive good marks, so long as I continue to do so. What is the likelihood of my continued aid ever helping you learn to do math? (I'm sure you would receive exceptional marks on your own, that not the point ^^)

That same analogy can be applied to work and play and every other activity and it is one reason why I do not believe that the simple act of giving people money necessarily enables them in to amass or even acquire more of it.

The other reason I don't embrace a universal basic income is because I see poverty as a symptom, not a disease itself. It is the result and while it may exacerbate other complications of the disease giving rise to it, it is not the cause. The source is general performance deficiency, or failure, arising from both internal and external sources. I simply do not believe that poverty causes people to fail. People become impoverished because they fail. Those who are unfortunate enough to be born into it generally remain there, but all do not. Some find a way out. If poverty were the source of failure, those people would not exist, but they do.

i agree that in the short term it is more equitable to individuals. it's the long term consequences that concern me and those I see as equally detrimental to all.

I think we'll destroy ourselves anyway, but to your point on statism, i don't disagree with you on its efficacy. I've evolved on that issue and have said before that the only practical systems for advancing humanity fall neatly within the libertarian right and the authoritarian left. The former relies on nature to do do the work we are disinclined to, the latter embraces that responsibility as our own.

The reason I reject the libertarian left is because a government that assumes financial responsibility, must be empowered to control costs alongside revenues. Allowing a citizenry to do as they please when the government holds the pocket book is not a sustainable condition.

The reason I reject the authoritarian right is because a government which possesses great power, but fails to adequately temper excellence, will simply be bought by the most successful entireties.

all authoritarian systems will suffer to some degree from adverse selection and corruption, but it is far more difficult for specific entities if the environment does not permit the economic hegemony afforded by a wholly free market.
confucius say "man who build wall too tall suffer from fail aids"
Old 03-24-2017, 10:52 AM
Banned

universal basic income, legal psychedelics and suffocating lifelong state education for every citizen. i agree w Lune, it aint that bad as long as there's alot of hormone treated boipucci on campus.
Old 03-24-2017, 01:20 PM
Banned

dude's got nice legs but he's no J above the waist
Closed Thread