Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 01:37 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSterben [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
To clarify...I spoke too harshly and I apologize. I'm not saying that being in a raiding guild makes your life meaningless and empty.... I'm only saying that it made me feel like my life was meaningless and empty. I respect everyone's choice of hobby...but to accuse me of jealousy is just a quick leap to make.

As a token of reasonable accord Ill tell you that I'm a member of the SCA and I'm sure that the greater majority of the population thinks that sword fighting and playing medieval is an embarrassing waste of time XD. We all do what we do because we like doing it.

And actual auto-fellatio makes my back hurt so I had to find a substitute somewhere! XD
Sterb, after reading this, maybe I was too harsh myself. I came into the thread seeing a new poster making blanket statements about our server and its players, alot of which was unfounded, so decided to troll a bit. You seem like a decent enough guy though. Shoot me a /tell sometime in game sometime if you want.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:38 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by bled12345 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Haha not going to lie... Ive been lurking in the shadows anxiously hoping at some point there is a fresh p99. Theres nothing like a brand new server! I was stoked at red99 not for the pvp, but the chance to play again on an equal playing field, but eventually gave up around level 14 on the warrior I made on red, when it became apparent there were no groups.... and like the first 14 levels, I would have to solo my way to 50 haha.

ultimately its the devs call, but I for one would have mu ass glued to the chair playing p99 once again like a fiend if there was a chance to do all again from the very beginning. A lot of people, just like on live didnt hear about or start on this server until it was well on its way to kunark.

And what I posted in another thread about this exact reasoning:

Quote:
Lets be honest, only people with ulterior motives want a wipe of the entire server; they want to feel like the server is fresh and brand new, and I can understand that feeling.

But its incredibly selfish, narrow minded, and would crush the stable community numbers we have now.

Are you going to wipe/roll back the server every time we have dupers and RMT's involved, which we will regardless of a wipe/roll back? Stop being so short sighted; this isn't a solution, its only the umbrella excuse.

Op's suggestion is a delusional option for the egocentric. No one is going to spend all the hours they originally invested into this server just to start from scratch again (in this situation), (he suggested a roll back but its similar and since this thread has been redirected and involves wiping, I'm addressing this topic primarily) just so you can imagine that you're unwrapping EQ out of its plastic and playing the game for the first time like you were 13.

Its a dumb idea, and its only held by the most depraved, jobless, retired, or disabled individuals here and catering to a vastly outnumbered portion of the populace advocating this option.

Motion denied.
Last edited by DukeVonSausage; 07-25-2013 at 01:43 PM..
Old 07-25-2013, 01:40 PM
Aviak

No one would quit after a wipe. What would they do? Go play the sleeper? Quit playing games? Not likely. The server population is so backend loaded that the 60s are bored as hell anyway.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:40 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCry0x [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sorry, but that is a very selfish reason.

You want to wipe the server because you came late to the show? The same argument could be made for every MMO ever... if you come late you miss the early shit.

Join TMO and enjoy progression in velious if that is what you want.
Is there a reason that's not selfish? If you find one let me know.

lvl 37 Troll Shaman OF JUSTICE
Old 07-25-2013, 01:42 PM
Planar Protector

Just wipe items & cash. Leave chars as is. Would be fun re-gearing!
Old 07-25-2013, 01:46 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bantam 1;
Is there a reason that's not selfish? If you find one let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCry0x [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Without being a dick, let me try to argue for why fragmenting the population is not necessarily a horrible thing and possibly even an overall good thing.

Inc wall of text.

----
----
Fragmenting the servers
----
----

I would argue that the single largest problem on this server has been extreme crowding in the high level space. (followed by inflation/rmt/duping) By this I mean that there are too many level 58+ characters with full planar+ gear.

I believe that this is evidenced by the simple fact that the biggest knock people have had on this server since I started earlier this year was that low level grouping is fun but "the high end raid scene sucks".

Under normal circumstances fragmenting the server would be a horrible idea. On a normal server (normal being proper time line), you would have a smaller population of the server in the level 58-60 range, a smaller portion of the server with max gear etc.

The thing is, the current state of the server is not normal.

Simply starting a new server in the coming months would cause a chunk of the population to leave. This could potentially result in a good chunk of 'veteran' players completely leaving the server to restart.

On one hand this would make it harder for smaller guilds (like rapture) to get people together for our raids.

On the other hand, this could also make it harder for larger guilds, like TMO to mobilize as easily for killing everything on the damn server.

The people who want to stay on this server and play velious here would then benefit from a less congested, shit show raid scene. I am sure there will still be 20-30 level 60s around to kill trakanon.

It seems like the new server would solve the congestion problem very well.
----
----
New topic: Inflation/rmt/duping
----
----

To address the other issues, I was going to start a new thread but whatever.

My #2/#3 issues I see as the largest on the server are linked together, the inflation/RMT which are possibly/probably linked through duping as well as simply having this server around long enough for people to kill enough seafury cyclopses to make a million plat =P.

The GMs said the majority of players getting busted for buying plat are new players.

The hypothesis is that new players buy plat so they can get caught up/ahead/whatever.

While a new server won't stop RMT, it will allow new players to be in a situation where they do not need to buy plat to get 'caught up' since the norm is that nobody has shit anyways.

It will also put a huge drain on the number of new players on the current p1999 server which would possibly put a big damper on the RMT business here.

That could then put a dent in the whole ddos thing because assuming the RMT people are ddosing to dupe, they would no longer have a reason to dupe and therefor no longer have a reason do ddos unless they just want to be assholes -- considering they could potentially get caught/jail/fined and are no longer making RMT money for the upside seems like high risk for low reward?

---
---
New topic: When to spin up new server
---
---

As far as when to start a new server

1) When velious is ready
2) End of August

1) As loraen pointed out, velious = spike in players = fragmenting player base less harsh
2) End of august = school starts/summer over = more players start/return to the game based on previous server cycles (from what I have been told).

I am partial to #2, but at the same time #1 has the benefit of lowering the impact of new players flooding to the server.

What I mean by this is that if you started a new server today, a huge chunk of the population would move because they are bored of content and f'ing fed up with the duping, inflated economy, shitty raid scene, whatever. The problem is original EQ could choke with 100 level 30-50s trying to exp in guk and solb let alone 300-400.

#1 on the other hand would cause people to make a tough choice. They waited years for velious, do they reroll on p1999 new or do they play velious? I myself would be torn. On one hand I would want to get in early on the new server since eventually I would see that server becoming the main server... on the other hand .. velious now vs 2 years from now.

Anyways.

Those are my thoughts on it.

If it is disjointed and illogical sorry, I am really tired =P
Old 07-25-2013, 01:46 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesenkomaha [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
No one would quit after a wipe. What would they do? Go play the sleeper? Quit playing games? Not likely. The server population is so backend loaded that the 60s are bored as hell anyway.
So add classic AAs and be done with it already. Just the basic non-op shit, like minor stat enhancements and shit.

And yeah, thats exactly what they would do, quit playing EQ. Not games, just p1999.

No one is going to trust the server again, because a wipe would always be a possibility.

You tamper with ideas without really knowing the consequences of your actions. Thank God you're not the president (however, given the current situation, you probably couldn't do much worse).
Old 07-25-2013, 01:47 PM
Fire Giant

Honestly I'm pretty sure anyone who thinks wiping the servers is a solution is really just hoping to get their hands on a guise of the deceiver and bind in firepot room

To be fair, if wiping the servers meant GM events would happen again and I could possibly get an ugly stick bard, I would support it no matter how inconvenient, ineffective, and detrimental to everything it was

Every song I play is actually just me screaming the 1812 Overture in a raspy, shrieking falsetto.
Last edited by Kekephee; 07-25-2013 at 01:50 PM..
Old 07-25-2013, 01:53 PM
Fire Giant

Speaking as a new player to the server (1 week in), the selfish part of me would love a server wipe. All the reasons previously mentioned for this feeling were covered in other posts.

In my heart I know this won't solve the problem. For some unholy reason, there are people who are both extremely stupid as well as impatient that pay real money for pixels. That's the heart of the problem. With a demand involving real money at play, it...

1) Adds a huge factor of camping / killing key targets and holding them by the farmers rather than agreeing to guild rotations.

2) Drives the RMT staff to find any means of exploiting to generate profit (duping falls under here).

This is all common sense. A wipe wouldn't address either issue of real money driven camping / server crashing + duping.

A hard solution towards those points would have to be discovered before a wipe could hold any meaning.

As it stands right now though, I DARE you, I fucking DARE you to show me a different private server of ANY MMORPG type with a population of 100+ that experiences daily DDoS strikes solely for the intent of real money profit.

This server is experiencing a situation of being compromised. It can't continue like this. Leaving things alone is the absolute worst move to make.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:55 PM
Sarnak

Lol shit!!! heebee!! long live channel 5 news team hahahah

Bashndash - < > 50 ogre war
Dashnbash - < > 50 highelf mage
Flashndash - < > 28 woodelf rogue
Closed Thread