Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 12:25 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
For the record, I won't be playing here much. Might make an iksar, so hopefully I can play in some of the Kunark zones with a crowd the way it used to be.
BUT IKSARS HAVE TEH XP PENALTY!!!!11

These questions would best be posed to the original developers of EQ. Try here:
http://www.bradmcquaid.com/Brad_McQuaid/Welcome.html
Old 07-02-2010, 12:27 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halladar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
No it doesn't. Not at all.

I'd like to know what the thoughts of the devs are on this. I want them to explain to the best of their ability what use these penalties are.

I'd like them to explain why what is about to happen to Rangers is good.

I'd really have like it 10 years ago if they had fired Abashi and Smedley had explained everything.

I'd also like you personally to explain what it is about the way xp is now that enhances the game for you. Why does that 40% hybrid penalty matter so much?

Can you answer that? I mean even a guess? Got anything?
Why does it matter? Why it matters is because that's the way it was back in classic eq. The reasoning by smedley/absor don't matter because the devs aren't going based off their reasonings to have the penalties. They're going purely based off the reasoning that it was there, so it's emulated on this server for "accuracy" sake. Accuracy is the only driving reasoning. Smedley and verant in general thought later in the game that this was the wrong way to go about it, admitted by themselves. That they found it to be a mistake doesn't matter when it comes to accurately recreating this server as it was and trying to emulate around the same timeframe of changes. The exp penalty wasn't changed until velious, so that's where it'll be here for "accuracy" to classic's sake.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:28 PM
Planar Protector

Hybrids add versatility and efficiency to the group.

Hybrid tanks can hold aggro better, which leads to less spot-heals, which leads to less downtime for the cleric and more nukes from a druid or shaman.

Bards add DPS to the entire group, resists, hitpoint and mana regen. This also increases the speed of kills and lowers downtime for the group.

(Can't think of anything for rangers that really adds anything that isn't already covered by other classes... they are decent DPS I guess)

Yeah, so you get a penalty to it's made up for by being able to basically kill constantly and never need downtime.

Also, this server is here to emulate classic. If you don't like this, there are plenty of other servers out there that do not emulate classic.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:30 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halladar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
No it doesn't. Not at all.

I'd like to know what the thoughts of the devs are on this. I want them to explain to the best of their ability what use these penalties are.

I'd like them to explain why what is about to happen to Rangers is good.

I'd really have like it 10 years ago if they had fired Abashi and Smedley had explained everything.

I'd also like you personally to explain what it is about the way xp is now that enhances the game for you. Why does that 40% hybrid penalty matter so much?

Can you answer that? I mean even a guess? Got anything?
Well hell lets just add pok books and a bazaar no one likes traveling across the world for the 9000th time seeing the same stuff or sitting in EC hitting shift up arrow to repeat their trade message for the 50th time while tabbing out of the game to do other things. Oh wait some people do enjoy that shit. What may seem like torture to some people is love for another. Maybe some people love the challenge that the penalty brings maybe they want it as close they can get to their old experiences the good things and the horrible things.

The bottom line is nilbog wants to make this server as close to classic as he possibly can the awful things and the amazing things. Anything he doesn't change is simply limited by the client. I'm sure if he could erase all our knowledge of the game some how he'd do it just so it could be that much closer to 1999.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:31 PM
Kobold

If you think of EXP penalties in pen-and-paper AD&D terms, and not as a power ranking handicap, you'll get it.

Don't forget thats where this game essentially is derived from.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:32 PM
Planar Protector

Lastly, exp penalties limit the amount of hybrids roaming around the server. This is a good thing because otherwise the class population imbalance would be much worse than it is... trust that!
Old 07-02-2010, 12:33 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogwell [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you think of EXP penalties in pen-and-paper AD&D terms, and not as a power ranking handicap, you'll get it.

Don't forget thats where this game essentially is derived from.
Except in AD&D the classes that leveled slower actually were more powerful at high levels. And there isn't a max level where everyone becomes equally powerful as in eq.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:33 PM
Aviak

Yes.

Your point is?

I also don't think a 20% penalty is warranted for regen. Or a 5% penalty for being able to slam without a shield.

But the game has been like that from the beginning.

If you took the penalties away I don't think it would make much difference.

On the other emu servers where you level so fast you don't notice penalties, you don't seem to see that many trolls.

Or maybe it is because racial regen isn't noticeable on those servers anyway with all the ch emblems.

Whatever.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:34 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landis [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Except in AD&D the classes that leveled slower actually were more powerful at high levels. And there isn't a max level where everyone becomes equally powerful as in eq.
I'm not defending it. I'm just telling you why it's there.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:35 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
On the other emu servers where you level so fast you don't notice penalties, you don't seem to see that many trolls.
yeah because they have 30 total players, and we here have several thousands ... what you dont get is, people want classic ... CLASSIC like it used to be, not what you wish it was like ... so you dont want to play here?

then dont, we dont need more trolls thank you
Closed Thread