Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 10:48 PM
Orc

Default Dual weild or 2H for Untwink Ranger

Hello,

most of the threads in these forums deal with twinked and best weapons a ranger can have.

I am currently playing an untwinked solo ranger who is about to turn lvl17 soon. My play style is basically to bow kite the mob until it flees, this is the part where I melee the mob.

Since I am playing strictly on self found or bought items from merchants, in my situation is it better to dual wield or to use a 2h weapon.

Thank you in advance,
Old 03-06-2017, 11:46 PM
Sarnak

You can get away with silver swift blade until nearly lvl 30. If you can not afford a woodsmans staff I would suggest keeping a close eye out for "Springwood Stave" it's a 30/40 staff ranger only for 1-200pp that will beat out most of the cheaper dual wield combos pre lvl 40. By then you should be able to afford woodsmans.

In my opinion the slowness of a 2h can get boring, especially untwinked without much haste,

That said offhand hit rate sucks lower lvls, and getting riposted more is also a negative due to the higher number of swings.

In the long run 2h is just cheaper and all around better imo until epics or mid 50s. The ranger only weapons usually sell cheap and commonly too
Old 03-07-2017, 10:22 AM
Planar Protector

I'd say 2H is better until at least the late 40s due to low dual wield and double attack skill caps.

But your situation is unique so it will really just depend on what ratio weapons you can find.
Old 03-13-2017, 11:41 AM
Planar Protector

You're probably not going to find a good 2-hander until you're in your 40's or 50's if you're not buying it in EC, so stick with the dual wielding. You will want to keep even a crappy 2 hander of each type in the bank (or in a shralok pack if you don't mind the weight) to retrieve at the start of each new level to keep your skills capped, because trying to get those up from 0 at level 45 will suck.
Old 03-13-2017, 02:15 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaxiglass [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hello,

most of the threads in these forums deal with twinked and best weapons a ranger can have.

I am currently playing an untwinked solo ranger who is about to turn lvl17 soon. My play style is basically to bow kite the mob until it flees, this is the part where I melee the mob.

Since I am playing strictly on self found or bought items from merchants, in my situation is it better to dual wield or to use a 2h weapon.

Thank you in advance,
If you're meleeing the mob only when it's fleeing, you're fine with fine steel weapons. 1handers or 2handers. You pick. It really doesn't matter. Grouping it does to an extent.

That's actually how I kept all my weapon skills up. I'd keep some very bad damage weapons of various types and train when I had the mob snared and fleeing.
Old 03-13-2017, 02:27 PM
Planar Protector

If being self found you'll just have to deal with it on a case by case basis, depending on what you can find.

Iksar berserker club is a good find at your level. At 17 if you find one a Sarnak Liberator is a nice off hand weapon since your offhand attacks will probably swing less often than the proc happens! More common than these is the Forest Hammer in Warslicks Wood. Primary only and not magic though. Polished granite tomahawk from highpass gnolls makes a good offhand weapon for similar reasons to the sarnak liberator.

I'm trying to think of some good self found 2 hand weapons, but am struggling. If you group in befallen bone bladed claymore. Glowing wooden crook if you spend time in Oasis (I think it drops off boss croc Lockjaw).
Old 03-17-2017, 05:53 AM
Sarnak

Crushbone is where it's at. Get a throne room group (or solo when you are higher level) and aim for the Dragoon Dirk, Dwarven Ringmail Tunic and look into the screaming mace quest!
Old 03-17-2017, 01:28 PM
Fire Giant

2h is the best way to ranger.
Old 05-08-2017, 02:24 PM
Sarnak

http://wiki.project1999.com/Morin

If you can get someone to help you kill the messanger this is a easy weapon to get.
Old 05-09-2017, 04:55 AM
Planar Protector

I found a combine two handed sword works well. Available from vendor for 105pp, resells for 95. So real cost is just 10pp!

Suitable for kite rangers as it's delay means if a mob catches up with you, you get a swing, cast snare or root, swing again and disengage for more bow work.

The shortsword of Morrin isn't too bad either. I believe it leads on to a second quest for the orc impaler.

Another nice self found combo for your level is the Iksar Berserker Club (camped in Kurns) and the Polished Granite Tomahawk (from Highpass). Primary and secondary hand respectively. The IBC is a pretty good cash camp too; lots of ruined scale and fine steel drops from the place holders (sneak vendor with the merchants outside cabalis, be wary of the pathing guards. You can bind outside Kaesora in Field of Bone to aid with corpse recovery).

Forest Hammer is easily found in Warslik's Woods, but is not magic. Bone Bladed Claymore from befallen might be worth a look. If you are really serious about bow kite and just want to pad stats with primary/secondary you might be able to use a Bloodforge hammer (have a 49+ wizard help you with ports to / from qeynos) if you don't have anything else. Shiny Brass shield is a better resist pad from Crushbone though. As a bow kiter you don't want to be stuck by roots, so that magic resist can be really handy.
Last edited by Jimjam; 05-09-2017 at 04:58 AM..
Closed Thread