Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 05-27-2017, 02:29 PM
Skeleton

Default Who are P99 creators and owners?

Hey Everyone!

Was just curious if anyone can point me in the direction of how Project 1999 got started. Like who came together to make it? And who currently runs the servers and is the owner? Is it run out of some guys bedroom or home?

Also, what kind of protection is there for the servers just going down or if the owner of it has a heart attack. Do we all stop playing because the dudes dead? Is there a successor?
Old 05-27-2017, 02:42 PM
Planar Protector

P99 was started by nilbog, who still owns the project and leads the dev team. Rogean came along later to help with the server and owns (?) the server space, which is why it can support more than 200-250 players at a time today.

No idea on the rest of it.

Retouched all faces for the EQClassicHD Texture Pack
Retired from p99
Old 05-27-2017, 03:12 PM
Server GM

This and this should help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contraceptive View Post
If you can prove God is real to me I might believe you aren't just a virgin that has been given fake internet powers that you over-wield on an imaginary game. Also, don't forget to take contraceptive, the world doesn't need any more yous. Ah who the hell am I kidding you're not reproducing you're too busy blanket banning people on a 20 year old elf simulator.
Old 05-27-2017, 05:38 PM
Banned

OP Has a great sig btw.
Old 05-27-2017, 05:59 PM
Aviak

The sig of a pretentious, penis envying Canadian I wager...
Old 05-27-2017, 06:29 PM
Server GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloroform [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Stuff
This is not rnf.

Also, if you check that post, its edited and maintained by Sirken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contraceptive View Post
If you can prove God is real to me I might believe you aren't just a virgin that has been given fake internet powers that you over-wield on an imaginary game. Also, don't forget to take contraceptive, the world doesn't need any more yous. Ah who the hell am I kidding you're not reproducing you're too busy blanket banning people on a 20 year old elf simulator.
Old 05-27-2017, 06:45 PM
Planar Protector

Nilbog is a programming genius, don't worry. He has a chip implanted near his heart, if it detects his heart has stopped beating for over an hour a protocol is initiated that disseminates a program over the nearest wifi connection which triggers a GM event.

Basically it is a long quest chain that involves some heavy critical thinking, use of all of Norrathian languages, all tradeskills, and in depth EQ lore knowledge.

Culminates in a fight with the Nilbog, defeat him and you get an insane artifact sword that procs Death Touch.

Only a worthy one will realize how much power this artifact could hold and the corruption it would spawn amongst the neckbeards. So you venture to Lake Rathe and throw the blade in.

This reveals Nilbog's true form that gives you access to the P99 source code, server protocols, and everything else that is needed to run the server.

As a final hommage the dwarves of Kaladim carve an image of his avatar into the slopes of the Butcherblock Mountains so he may live on in Norrath forever.

Sorry for the spoilers, just wanted to put your mind at ease.
Old 05-27-2017, 07:26 PM
Fire Giant

Insults America
Then asks for help

Sounds about right.
Old 05-27-2017, 09:04 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyblunder [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The sig of a pretentious, penis envying Canadian I wager...
Nah. His post and sig would have been loaded with thank you's and sorrys.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and sorry if it offended you. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-27-2017, 09:27 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartmon6511 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Also, what kind of protection is there for the servers just going down or if the owner of it has a heart attack. Do we all stop playing because the dudes dead? Is there a successor?
P99 is co-owned by Rogean and nilbog. If one of them retires, dies, ragequits, etc., the other can probably figure out how to fill the vacancy, though I'm sure it wouldn't be easy. It would especially suck if we lost nilbog since he's the lead developer, because even though someone like Sirken or Haynar could probably step up into management, the server's development would still suffer a huge loss. Similarly, I'm sure it would suck a great deal to lose Rogean since he more or less runs the servers, but that seems like more of a resource problem that can be corrected for despite presenting its own set of problems.
Closed Thread