Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 04:19 PM
Sarnak

It's the second best pvp game I have ever played, and I have played tons.

Wish more people got to experience Mythic's Mud games, like Darkness Falls: The Crusade. Good vs Evil vs Chaos, full loot, realm points, idols(relics), land invasions(with full loot <drool>), and so much more.

Mythic had some truly fun games before the devil took them over (ea)

I will never forget when ea/mythic sent the email that said sorry we are closing down dfc but here is a free month subscription to daoc.

Edit: Uthgard's population is at 653. Highest I have seen it like that in a very long time.
Last edited by stavio; 11-25-2012 at 05:20 PM..
Old 11-25-2012, 06:22 PM
Planar Protector

Someone give me a link, this server has to be tried!

EDIT: found it - I wonder if there was a DAOC "Titanium" and if I should spend $70 on Amazon for it [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by Swish; 11-25-2012 at 06:25 PM..
Old 11-25-2012, 07:58 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Someone give me a link, this server has to be tried!

EDIT: found it - I wonder if there was a DAOC "Titanium" and if I should spend $70 on Amazon for it [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You can download the client from DAoC's main website, then can download the game.dll for patch 1.109 i think, copy+replace and you got a working uthgard client. There are many threads on the uthgard forums that has the game.dll download
Old 11-25-2012, 10:01 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippett [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I tried it but it really seemed shitty

The UI was terrible / combat was extremely slow and clunky / and presentation of the world around me was god awful
Yet EQ is fine? DAoC is almost as old so yeah, if you haven't played it before it's going to feel a little dated. The default UI isn't amazing but it's also not that bad, and there are custom UIs out there.

Combat and movement is slow and feels "clunky" because DAoC is a PvP game. Combat speed, run speed, game & class mechanics, etc. are all balanced around PvP. In PvE it is a little slow and clunky, but once you experience the PvP you begin to understand why the game plays the way it does.

And I don't exactly know what you mean by "presentation of the world around you." The game is pretty amazing, artistically. It really depends on what realm you start in. Personally, I think Midgard looks the best.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:31 PM
Planar Protector

I never played back in the day...stayed loyal to EQ while half my guild on live vanished for about 6-8 weeks (many came back again).

I notice EA have their presence on the site, that's never a good thing :/
Old 11-26-2012, 03:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I never played back in the day...stayed loyal to EQ while half my guild on live vanished for about 6-8 weeks (many came back again).

I notice EA have their presence on the site, that's never a good thing :/
That happened with the mythic/bioware merger that EA committed a year or so ago, the game was long dead before that.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:48 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrngrim79 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
And for those that remember the good ol' days, how about that alb zerg in Emain. "Alb zerg to MG1!!" LOL. Pretty good stealther wars at those milegates also, damn shadowblades had the real advantage on that though, end conc buff from the buffbot ftfw. Sooooo cheesy.

But yeah, best PVP I've ever experienced on any on-line game, ever. It's sad it's virtually dead now, some of the best times were at the height of its population, when the zergs roamed the plains and Albs defended Castle Excalibur (old frontiers) to the last man. *sniff* Nostalgic...
Uthgard is actually very much alive, much more than live atleast. Not only do they sport Old Frontiers complete with the entire Relic system, but they also prohibit buffbotting, and conc buffs have a range penalty as well. Uthgard's features are akin to what most people wanted live to be, 'by players for players.'

On another note, some friends and I might be building a new crew very soon. Nothing hardcore, just to PvP as a team and have fun doing it. I'm not sure which realm it'll be, I'll know the details in about a week or so.

If anyones interested in playing/trying Uthgard with players who know what they're doing, let me know in this thread. We have low/mid/high level chars in every realm from years prior, but if enough folks from here are interested, we might start off fresh. It takes less than a week to get to the first PvP zone anyway, 2-3 hrs a day. XPin in the right places and having good gear for your level (which we'll provide for melees) can go a long way.
DAOC Class Descriptions by Crith (for all 3 realms, with some comparisons to EQ classes)
DAOC: Uthgard Revamp (old thread with some useful info)
"Sometimes a Majority means, that most fools are on the same side"
Old 12-14-2012, 08:46 AM
Planar Protector

Looks like we're leaning more towards Midgard this time. We currently have the following existing chars for low-mid lvl PvP (not a complete list but to give a general idea, my chars are listed first):

Varrius
L36 Skald [speed/cc] // Bakun L30 Berserker [melee dps] // L20 Shaman [buffs/heals] // L17 Runemaster [caster dps wizard-like]
Kinkade L35 Savage [melee dps]
Kvasir L36 Thane [hybrid tank] // L35 Skald, L38 Zerk, L43 Healer
Grendell L34 Savage [melee dps]
Furen L31 Hunter [ranged/melee dps]

We'll most likely fill in the gaps shortly after getting back into the action, but the classes currently needed are: 2 Healers, 1 Shaman [pref Aug], and 1-2 misc to fill up the group capacity of 8. Though a good group can do well even without a healer/buffer, it'd certainly make things go smoother in pve and pvp both.

PvP zone level ranges are as follows: Braemar L20-L35, Wilton L36-L43, Thidranki L44-L49. While you can zone into Braemar at L20, its often best to get into mid-20s first unless you're a healer/buffer. As far as a good UI, I recommend Bob's UI.
DAOC Class Descriptions by Crith (for all 3 realms, with some comparisons to EQ classes)
Last edited by Scrooge; 12-16-2012 at 02:28 PM.. Reason: new members added
Old 12-19-2012, 08:18 AM
Planar Protector

My first day back a few days ago I met some cool peeps in our lvl range (30-35), they have 3 in their crew and we have 4 in ours, so we have maybe 1-2 spots left at this point. I've ran pvp with them a couple times and they handle themselves quite well, especially their healer.

So our current lineup is: L35 Skald, L35 Hunter, L34 Savage, L35 Savage, L35 Healer, L35 Warrior, L32 Skald. We're just missing a shaman, but I can switch into that any time we need whenever their skald is around. We'll stick around this level range until the weekend, then start going further into L40+ for the next pvp zone.

And as fate would have it, we're all dwarves...Midget Nation!
Old 12-19-2012, 05:05 PM
Kobold

Get outta Midgard.