Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 10:56 PM
Aviak

Thread should be renamed to Bard Zone Disruption Douchebaggery.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:57 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifter [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
get over it.
Lardna Minch, 18 Warrior

Project 1999 (PvP):
[50 (sometimes 49) Bard] Wolfram Alpha (Half Elf) ZONE: oasis
Old 04-27-2011, 11:57 PM
Planar Protector

double post.
Lardna Minch, 18 Warrior

Project 1999 (PvP):
[50 (sometimes 49) Bard] Wolfram Alpha (Half Elf) ZONE: oasis
Old 04-28-2011, 08:43 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by machin576 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hey guys, since this is the closest thing to the bard forum, I need to ask for some help.
I am trying to AoE kite, but I keep getting hit while going in circles and it seems to be more do to lag than anything else. My kites have to be less than 6 mobs, and if my hp goes below 60% I have to back off and get my hp up before going back in to dot. I am only 15 and currently kiting in FoB.
I have noticed that even when I make super wide circles, I still get a lag spike every so often, and my mobs will hit me from like 40 feet away. Is there anything I can do to remedy this? I am watching myself in a way out view, and tapping the turn key constantly, but I still get hit, usually when I am backed off from the mobs, letting the dot take effect. Any suggestions would be great.
Thanks
I'm a turnkey guy, I tap 'D' (right turn) with my left middle finger until it goes numb, which thankfully is usually about the time the mobs die, so then i can "mouse-drive," as Hmotzart puts it, while gathering up the next pack. The hard part about doing kiting at 15 is that your DoT (chords of dissonance) is only 30 range. Unless you are perfect, you are going to get hit. That is why you are doing the right thing by kiting much smaller packs. I usually did 5-12 mobs prior to getting the L18 dot, because I could usually survive 1 round if I did get hit-stunned with that many mobs. If I did get hit I would twist in hymn along with selos and I would be much more cautious with chords until I was again at 80+%hps.

Ways to reduce lag include:
  • Lower the far clip plane
  • Hide corpses
  • Reduce spell effects to minimum
  • Hide DoT messages

TL;DR: You are kiting before your prime. Its still faster than grouping/single killing, but its more risky and you are taking the appropriate precautions. Kite to 18, enjoy newfound capability.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:02 AM
Aviak

Hi all!

I started kiting this weekend. I only can play about 30 minutes per day but it is more then enough to do a kite with my bard. Im level 9 only but I managed to kite 13 mob at once yesterday! Im trying to make myself a "zone path" as to where I will go and at what level to try different kite.

Have fun all
Old 04-28-2011, 09:04 AM
Aviak

By the way I tried the tapping method but i seems to always get hit once in a while. Then Hmotzart told me of his way to do it. Personnally, with Hmotzart method I never get hit.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:30 AM
Aviak

Thanks for the advice Falkun. I have been trying the Mouse-strafe method also, and I think my hits are still random lag ones, but i am landing a lot more dots using Hmotzart's method. I can't wait for 18 and some sweet action DDD. In response to Nokia, you are right, we need to work on a guide for AoE kiting, with key bindings, hints, and definitely some leveling guidance.

I am currently 16 and I am kiting FoB Northeast of Kurn's tower. There are plenty of light blues to yellows around there, but I actually prefer the dark blues because they drop super fast. I have also tried Dervs in Sro at about 14, but you need to watch out for wanderers + caster mobs. Desert madmen will nuke you to hell.

If I was your level, I would try Willow wisps in North Karana, I did that for a while, and every GLS that drops can be turned in for nice EXP + 9-11 PP. I might actually go do that anyways when I hit 18 to make some cash.

Lake of Ill Omen would also be a great place for levels 12 - 30, plenty of mobs, even though the Tigers stun which is NOT classic. You have many options and I will try to make a file of them at work today and paste it in later. Also, hopefully, Hmotzart will get on and post some of his spots for his quick rise to kiting fame.

Off this topic: Do any of you old bards remember when they added Selo's lasting for like 3 minutes instead of 15 seconds? Was that like PoP or Luclin? I am hoping it is earlier, makes kiting a lot less OCD.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:16 PM
Decaying Skeleton

thanks for share good sharing
Old 04-28-2011, 01:51 PM
Planar Protector

Honestly, OT will take you from 20 to 40+. You will get sick of that zone you do it so much. I had a lull around 28-30 where OT was in "transition" between the east side turning green and the south/west sides still full of yellow/reds. I did that dry spell in WW iksar bandits and FV drolvargs (FV 'vargs take some balls to kite. Died a ton there!)

HMO, can you explain this strafing thing a bit to hit mobs with dot? I use my mouse to do instrument swaps, so I had to learn to keyboard turn, which meant my hands were busy so I also use my mouse for song-changing. I've recently gotten to the point where I don't instrument swap anymore (slower selos is easier now), so I could go to keyboard twisting and change to mouse movement. I'm very interested if you can enlighten me.

EDITS BELOW:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokio [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Im trying to make myself a "zone path" as to where I will go
This was my path. Its not definitive by any means.
http://www.project1999.org/forums/sh...09&postcount=8
Old 04-28-2011, 02:01 PM
Aviak

L10-12ish: The orcs in LFay (locations #6 & 11)
I started doing that one at level 8 actualy and it works great!

Do you think at level 10-11 i could AE kite the minotor at the minotor cave or around?

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Closed Thread