Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 11:24 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vile [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
the truth
this game is not meant to be permanent. noone cares about pixels except weirdos.
Old 08-07-2015, 11:32 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamwiseRed [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
this game is not meant to be permanent. noone cares about pixels except weirdos.
not sure if agreeing w/ me or not [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

people definitely have a pixel affinity here.

keep red up and going...

give us wipe it clean nerds a fresh box and let us go crazy fighting over manastones and guises plz.
Old 08-07-2015, 11:55 PM
Sarnak

If there is a wipe, i suspect there will be a large amount of macequest/suicide watch
Old 08-08-2015, 12:14 AM
Sarnak

New server with the same rules would end up in the same place. Server rules are what makes the community. If you want the community to change, you have to change the rules.
Old 08-08-2015, 12:21 AM
Aviak

HALO GMz,I AM 3 WEEKS INTO RED SERVER,I DIED IN PVP,HAS NO EPIC ,I KNOW WHATS BEST FOR SERVER HEALTH,PLZ WIPEZ
Old 08-08-2015, 12:22 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vile [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
not sure if agreeing w/ me or not [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

people definitely have a pixel affinity here.

keep red up and going...

give us wipe it clean nerds a fresh box and let us go crazy fighting over manastones and guises plz.
my bad. i am agreeing with you [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-08-2015, 12:27 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirken [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
srs question,

why do you think that a new pvp server would end up any different than the current pvp server after a year?

(this is not in RNF for a reason. if you dont have anything to contribute, don't post here)

<3
Sirks
Dear Sirken,

Thanks for asking! I am a "wipe it clean" nerd. When I say "wipe it clean," it's not because I want or expect the current Red server to actually be wiped. I understand that permanence (to the extent that permanence is possible) is a defining feature of Project 1999. So I don't expect Red to ever be wiped like VZTZ was.

Basically, when I say "wipe it clean," what I'm actually saying is I haven't played in two years because this experience hasn't appealed to me in a long time, and it wouldn't bother me if a wipe, which isn't going to happen, did happen. The reason I say "wipe it clean" instead of "new server plz" is because it always prompts morbidly-obese mom's basement trust fund virgins to self-identify in a panic over the security of their RMT'd pixels, which amuses me.

As for the question of why I think a new server would end up any differently, I don't think that. I think it would end up exactly the same, just as every iteration of VZTZ ended up exactly the same. The appeal for those of us who server hop every time there is a fresh server is because we enjoy every stage of the game that precedes that end stage.

The only thing that would prompt players to behave differently would be to remove the element of permanence. If you know that the endgame is permanent Velious, then half the server will join together in a single guild because they know that is the only way they will have access to Velious content. If the end game is three months of classic, three months of Kunark, three months of Velious, declare winners for Season 1, wipe, and then launch Season 2, people will behave differently.

You're less motivated to join a zerg to avoid being the victim content cock-blocking when you know that content is getting wiped in three months anyway. In this scenario, people can enjoy the PvP and competition rather than banding together to make competition impossible.

Rogean was on your stream the last time I caught it (this was a while ago) and said they were considering doing a cyclical server where, prior to a wipe, characters would be copied over to the live server so that you would still never lose your characters. I was cool with any idea that brought a new server closer to being reality, but I really think this stems from Rogean's reluctance to let go of the ethic of permanence. If such a server were launched, it would be a manastone RMT farm fest.

I much prefer that there be no character copies, so that items lose almost all of their RMT value. Let the morbidly-obese mom's basement trust fund virgins stay on the permanent servers where they belong. Let the ravening hordes of players who don't care about pixels have a server where competition, not pixel hoarding, is the main feature.

I once again encourage the staff to beta test one season of a non-permanent server. Disclaim upon log in that the server will be wiped after a pre-determined period of time and see if it gains an audience. If I'm wrong, and there's not a significant audience for a non-permanent server, then close it at the end of the beta period and I'll never bring it up again.
Last edited by wts; 08-08-2015 at 12:32 AM..
Old 08-08-2015, 12:39 AM
Planar Protector

teams simply not gonna work with our pop... it's gonna be 1 side dominating and we'd be in same situation.

99% people on the wipe it clean team are looking for something more casual and competitive (pvp, not raid wise).

the cyclical wipes solve all problems.

classic to kubark. a few months each expansion imo -- and keep wiping that shit clean. eventually either way its gonna die out like red already has... with most of the population raiding in 1 guild. at least you know in X time it's gonna restart...
Old 08-08-2015, 01:06 AM
Kobold

Zerging will always be an issue, but there are tons of ways to deal with it. Unfortunately they would require GM interaction and that's never a good thing. Guild member cap, prevent healing and buffing outside the guild (with a level requirement), server rule against collusion etc etc. You would hope players would realize inviting half the server into your guild ruins the server, but players always look for the easy way to win.

A seasons server like what Diablo and Path of Exile have been doing would be interesting. Wipe it clean every 6 months.

The initial release where everyone is on equal footing always has the highest population. Leveling would have to be easier to entice people to join a temporary server. Hot zone bonus exp (focuses people to a zone for more pvp), two boxing to get around easier or level by yourself, group bonus etc. Necessities like manastone and jboots would have to be easier to get. No one wants to poopsock a camp for a temporary server. Pvp points for items? You could also have level locks to allow the casuals to keep up.

Will there be one guild on top? Sure, but it probably wouldn't be the same people every time and there wouldn't be a huge gear gap / barrier to entry. For instance, the people who started Nihilum don't even play any more and before someone says Nizzar is banned. He didn't start it. The people that did quit when it became a pve server.
Last edited by nerfed; 08-08-2015 at 01:14 AM..
Old 08-08-2015, 01:34 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
HALO GMz,I AM 3 WEEKS INTO RED SERVER,I DIED IN PVP,HAS NO EPIC ,I KNOW WHATS BEST FOR SERVER HEALTH,PLZ WIPEZ
been here since beta still no epics, you don't even know half of the struggle, didn't you join red and 15 days in you had epic and full rage fire hehehh
Videos
Wipe it clean.
Closed Thread